Author Topic: Is THIS a new sheriff in town?  (Read 1118 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Is THIS a new sheriff in town?
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:59:22 PM »
Could this be the answer to our battery limitations?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1010096412729405
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Is THIS a new sheriff in town?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Could this be the answer to our battery limitations?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1010096412729405
Help me out here Karl, what is it? (I don't have face book)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »
Maybe this will be readable....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
Something for the youngsters to try out.
When I'm miles from home on a cold morning just before sunrise - I'll stick with a Yuasa for a sure start to get me back to my warm living room! :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »
I don't know if a motorcycle battery is available, but the 100 AH battery weighs 62 pounds.
Like 150i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:22:15 PM »
Yes, what I have seen is about 25% heavier. This is a hot item with the solar crowd so very little info available. What tech available is English is their second language and it has a chinese ring to it. So far, only a 45 amp-hour model is the smallest. Stig is right: stick with what you know works.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:25:05 AM »
Interesting technology. Maybe not quite ready for “prime time” . But who knows? When car’s first came out, a horse was more convenient and reliable. But the automobile technology improved, and became more reliable and affordable. Perhaps the same will be true for these “green” batteries. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
Interesting technology. Maybe not quite ready for “prime time” . But who knows? When car’s first came out, a horse was more convenient and reliable. But the automobile technology improved, and became more reliable and affordable. Perhaps the same will be true for these “green” batteries. [emoji848]

Very good point, sir! It appears to have advantages over both lead-acid and lithium IF the claims are true. Or even half true!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
If we truly ARE to go down the EV route world-wide, then we really do need some innovative technology which doesn't rely on rare earth metals which are being depleted at an alarming rate. 

I'd have no objection to riding an electric scoot, but would want first to be assured that it's battery provision was not as harmful as the carbon fuel it seeks to replace!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »
If we truly ARE to go down the EV route world-wide, then we really do need some innovative technology which doesn't rely on rare earth metals which are being depleted at an alarming rate. 

I'd have no objection to riding an electric scoot, but would want first to be assured that it's battery provision was not as harmful as the carbon fuel it seeks to replace!
I’m thinking that there has to be some new technology on the horizon based on MAJOR manufacturers ambitious goals of having most or all of their vehicles either electric or hybrid in the not too distant future. Even given the fact that the batteries are fully recyclable and have an expected life of 10+ years, the supply of raw materials seems inadequate for the sheer number of expected EV sales. I hope so. We have a mustang Mach E at our dealership. Although I’m not a fan of the looks, the guy who does our pre delivery inspections was VERY skeptical and had only negative things to say until he DROVE IT. His entire demeanor changed. He stated that the gas engined mustang might have a hard time keeping up. EVERY misgiving was obligated except for fears of the battery going dead away from charging stations on highway trips. But the gps actually lists available stations, so a person can actually plan their trips around them. And the expected range is 200+ miles . Personally, Id Prefer the plug-in hybrids. They can go 20 miles on batteries alone. But perform as a regular hybrid for distance driving. A customer told me that she lives about 20 miles from her job and plugs it in at work and overnight. So the gasoline engine runs for only a short time. She claims that she can barely see the difference in her electricity bill. But I digress. Again, I hope they can make an environmentally friendly battery. It can be a game changer. It may be an good alternative to the lead/acid normal battery too.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »
MrForbes -
I'm assuming that you can't do highway trips with a battery car?
Or, do these things re-charge at a charging station in a very few minutes?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
Folks with new Electrica Vespas are having concerns - not that many Vespa dealers around. ...and even fewer of those won't touch the new battery models.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
MrForbes -
Stig
Fastest I’ve seen quoted is 30 minutes from 0% to about 70% charged?

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
Is THIS a new sheriff in town?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Folks with new Electrica Vespas are having concerns - not that many Vespa dealers around. ...and even fewer of those won't touch the new battery models.
Stig
Too early in the development cycle to make the EV scooter switch imho Unless talking round town sub 20 mile distances!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 11:13:21 AM »
MrForbes -
Stig
The regular one has a range of 200+ miles. The extended range around 300. The charging time varies GREATLY depending on the method. And with the right method long trips are feasible. Not nearly as fast as Gas though. Here are a few interesting specs: from empty to full on the extended range option battery .
You’ll see that some options are less appealing than others

Home options—-
120v “extension cord” : 100 hours

Their Standard 240v charger that comes with the vehicle that can hook up to the typical stove or dryer outlet: 14 hours

The optional 48A charging station that you can have purchase and have installed at your home: 10 hours

“Filling station” DC rapid charge from 10%-80% typical of what you’d do on a road trip. :

Regular battery : 38 minutes
Extended range battery: 45 minutes

A quick 10 minute charge such as what you’d do if you were simply stopping for an unscheduled bathroom/snack break gets you about 47-61 MILES depending on the circumstances.

Obviously it’s not as fast as filling up your gas tank when you’re trying to eat up the highway. But it’s realistic if you’re traveling sensibly and want to stretch, bathroom break, and catch a meal. I found that when traveling with a couple of other people (especially my sisters or mom) we end up killing that much time anyway .

Again, not as fast as a gas fueled vehicle. But it’s not unacceptable considering the real habits of many people traveling on the highway. Even the at home options (except for the 110v) are realistic given the fact that you don’t usually run “empty” every day. And you can top off nightly while you sleep.

The 10-80% values are used for traveling because most don’t wait until they get empty. And the battery charging rate slows down as the battery nears full.

Side note:, the battery, electric motor, and other major powertrain components come with a 10 year 100,000 mile factory warranty. If the hybrids can be used as an indicator, the expected life is a lot longer. I read where someone tested an ORIGINAL 2003 Prius. When it was 9 years old and had 206,000 miles. And the performance was virtually the same as new.

Secondly, the Ford Mustang battery comes in sections” . So although it’s probably still costly, it will be a lot less expensive than replacing the entire battery. And unlike a regular car battery, just because one section fails, it doesn’t indicate that the others are near failure.

Would I buy a Mach E right now? Probably not because as a mechanic, I’ve seen too many first year bugs with major changes.

But to my surprise, Based on what I’ve seen in this vehicle and the experience of one of my brother’s friends who owns a Tesla, I wouldn’t rule out owning an electric vehicle in the future. And if I was in the market for a new car now, I’d SERIOUSLY consider one of the growing numbers of hybrids and plug in hybrids. In all my years at Ford, I recall ONE vehicle coming in with a failed battery. And i think it had less than 50 k. So it was something defective. Most other components were (relatively) minor with costs on par with other vehicles. The actual motor/transmissions have fewer problems that the full gasoline engines.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()