Author Topic: Light bulb question  (Read 1142 times)

max oradea

• View Profile
Light bulb question
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »
i am right now using Philips extreme vision plus, but still dont think it illuminates the road and objects enough at night, is there another light bulb i can try or is it a head light reflector design limitation?
Another question is do anyone know the bulb type for the position light for the front, its the little one below the main head light within the head light housing. i want to change the color of it.
was thinking of using this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Headlight-Temperature-CERAMIC-Holders/dp/B007J49RV8/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400112716&sr=1-13&keywords=motorcycle+headlight+bulbs#productDetails
but dont know if the stock housing can handle it...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:20:02 AM by max oradea »

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
Re: Light bulb question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
Max, just make sure you have the proper electrical system modifications for the Xenon bulb; the one you linked looks to have a some kind of transformer already installed, so maybe you can "plug and play".  5000K is super white to light blue; that should turn night into day compared with the Venox factory bulb!  I've seen a few universal LED headlight units on Ebay that look like they would be very bright, but are a modern design over the round headlamp.  When are you going on that Big European Riding Adventure?

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
hey i am just worried about the heat... because the venox head lamp is plastic... wondering if it can take the 90w/100w bulb. i will be going on the trip early July!

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
Got the light bulbs! 90/100w. with ceramic plug adapters and came with blue led parking lights should be nice... on the package it says that the fuse and original wires have to meet 10A which i just checked now it should because the head lamp fuse is 10A. but then again if i did the calculations right 10A is not enough. full beam will be 100w+90w/12v which is what? 15 near to 16A... or have i done the calculations wrong and only 100w will be used when i switch to high beam and the 90w will be off?
on page 18-1 on the manual its say 30A 15A 10A i am just guessing the 10A is for the main lamp but then again nothing on the bike produces as much heat as the lamp apart from the engine which does not come from electric current... is it safe to say that the 30A is for the head lamp?
oops just found on the right side of the page for wiring diagram that the lighting system is 15A so we should be fine. but if high beam means both the 100w and 90W are both switching on then its going to be a problem.
just had a look on the diagram on the right of the wiring page that its not going to switch on together but will check with the 55/60 Philips which i have on right now to make sure what i understand from the diagram is correct.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:21:58 PM by max oradea »

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »
hey guys reporting back on the light bulb modifications.
1. the housing can withstand 100/90w light bulb but best to have the ceramic adapter plug for the bulb just in case, i did not try with the original plug.
2. the light bulb i got was bright white 5000k if i remember correct which is good for road signs and lines at night but does not light the back ground or road surface very well or objects that do not reflect light well, such as animals, people, sand, poop... it is only good for road signs and road lines everything else thats also important to bike riders are pitch black.
my suggestion would to pick something slightly warmer then bright white blueish color which i think is a problem.. yellow or warm light would be better.
3. had a look at the lens design and mirror design of the head lamp on the venox... it looks nice but the lens is really not spreading the light coming from the mirrors that much because its too transparent.
right now i am trying to get my hands on Philips H4 rally bulbs which has a warmer color and also 100/90w to see if it will help with the summer night riding... but i really think its the lens and maybe the mirror that is limiting the performance of the head light.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()