Author Topic: Leaving KYMCO 😢  (Read 4342 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Leaving KYMCO 😢
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
Yesterday I saw an advertisement in cycle trader for a new unsold 2013 Yamaha Majesty. I decided to take a 140 mile "wind therapy" ride to rebuild confidence in my 2009 Xciting 250 and perhaps stop by just to see The Majesty. Well, it was reduced to 2999.00. I figured that my credit was not good enough. But they insisted that I fill out an application just to see. Well it wasn't as bad I thought. And with my old Kymco as a trade, I could ride away with no money down and payments I could afford. THEY WERE GOOD! 😂. And several hours later, I rode away on a 2013 Majesty with .1 miles on the odometer. And a factory warranty.  The challenge was to ride the 140 miles at break in speeds. I did cheat (for a short while)  just to see the highway capability. And while the speedometer accuracy in not as good as my Xciting, I was able to EASILY hit a true 75 with the engine nowhere near redline.

I'll do an oil change at the required 500 miles. Take it easy for 1200 miles, then let her rip.

YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT! I'll pop in from time to time just to keep in touch.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Leaving KYMCO 😢
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
The Xciting 250ri is not a bad machine. I just felt that I was pushing it at its limits nearly every day which would eventually compromise its reliability. 50 miles one way at nearly 65 combined with the return trip at 60 mph was more than it was designed to do on a daily basis, I believe . If they had put the DOWNTOWN engine in the Xciting, or would have imported the Xciting 400, it would have been the PERFECT combination of power and economy .

The Magesty got 55 mpg with me accelerating and decelerating constantly. I expect it to improve some as it gets broken in and I drive with a steady hand. The Xciting 250 would get 68 mpg at 60 mph. But when pushed to 65+, it would drop to as low as 55.
2009 Xciting 250

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 01:36:53 PM »
congrats on the magesty. thats a great machine. brake in... dont care. use it like you stole it. just make sure you do a early oil change. after the first oil change use it normally as you would in the future.
i believe the harder you ride it the better its going to perform overall.
bikes cars boats no difference. if it breakes its in warranty and if it doeas it was ment to fail anyways. better before...

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:38:56 PM »
I bought a NOS 2012 Majesty last year.  Great scooter.  I still have my Super 8 150 so I guess I can stick around here :)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
Yesterday I saw an advertisement in cycle trader for a new unsold 2013 Yamaha Majesty. I decided to take a 140 mile "wind therapy" ride to rebuild confidence in my 2009 Xciting 250 and perhaps stop by just to see The Majesty. Well, it was reduced to 2999.00. I figured that my credit was not good enough. But they insisted that I fill out an application just to see. Well it wasn't as bad I thought. And with my old Kymco as a trade, I could ride away with no money down and payments I could afford. THEY WERE GOOD! 😂. And several hours later, I rode away on a 2013 Majesty with .1 miles on the odometer. And a factory warranty.  The challenge was to ride the 140 miles at break in speeds. I did cheat (for a short while)  just to see the highway capability. And while the speedometer accuracy in not as good as my Xciting, I was able to EASILY hit a true 75 with the engine nowhere near redline.

I'll do an oil change at the required 500 miles. Take it easy for 1200 miles, then let her rip.

YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT! I'll pop in from time to time just to keep in touch.
Break it in as though you plan to keep it beyond the warranty expiration date !!
OK, that's a great scooter at a great price - but we have a thing here - says "it didn't happen unless we see pictures!"
We love these Yamahas.....picture please. A couple.
And how did a Yamaha scooter sit for 3 years unsold in Florida for Pete's Sake - that ain't exactly N. Dakota for scooter ridin' country!? You guys are knee-deep in scooters.
Good job - you made the right move I think, for your commute distances.
Take your time - follow the manual (written by the people who made your scooter) - lots of oil changes with dino oil for a few thousand miles say the mechanics whom I trust....then you can go to synthetic if you want.
OK, go out and take pictures of this new scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »
Break it in as though you plan to keep it beyond the warranty expiration date !!
OK, that's a great scooter at a great price - but we have a thing here - says "it didn't happen unless we see pictures!"
We love these Yamahas.....picture please. A couple.
And how did a Yamaha scooter sit for 3 years unsold in Florida for Pete's Sake - that ain't exactly N. Dakota for scooter ridin' country!? You guys are knee-deep in scooters.
Take your time - follow the manual (written by the people who made your scooter) - lots of oil changes with dino oil for a few thousand miles say the mechanics whom I trust....then you can go to synthetic if you want.
Stig
I had planned on putting as many miles possible on it today after church. And I was planning on doing a lot of break in style riding. But Wouldn't you know, it decided to rain today. And Rain is forecast for tomorrow [emoji26][emoji26][emoji26][emoji24][emoji24]

But I'll get some pictures as soon as the weather cooperates. , and I can stop riding long enough to take a few pictures.

I regret not taking more of my Kymco Xciting. But lol miss it. It gave me the riding bug. I'm hooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

Stig
From what the dealer said, they recently Purchased 4 of them from Yamaha for a deeply discounted price and passed the savings on. I suspect they were sitting around in a different region of the country. When I got there, they hadn't put any of them on display yet. They were still in their warehouse. They had a 2014 on the showroom floor . That's the one I sat on.

I did something that I USUALLY advise no one to do. I bought it without even test riding it. But it looked so similar size wise to the Xciting that I knew it would handle similarly. It does. It's just smoother and faster. And the engine just loafs along by comparison.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
By the way, I purchased the 2009 Xciting 250 in January without test riding it either because I had no motorcycle endorsement at the time. Lucky in both cases.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 12:31:38 AM »
By the way, I purchased the 2009 Xciting 250 in January without test riding it either because I had no motorcycle endorsement at the time. Lucky in both cases.

Gainesville dealer?
How much added for set up...fees etc.
To get out the door in otherwords for a cash purchase ?
Thanks
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 04:19:00 AM »
Gainesville dealer?
How much added for set up...fees etc.
To get out the door in otherwords for a cash purchase ?
Thanks
Stig
Ended up financing it. But the dealer fees were outrageous! They nearly brought the price back up to the original price. I was so surprised that I could escape with zero down and take it home that day that broke  another rule. I fell in love with the thing. And I fell for the affordable payments. But anyway, the extras were as follows: freight 497.00. Dealer set up. 388.00. Dealer fee 499.95. Yep. They saw me coming. But I have a NEW scooter. I've never even owned a new car. So, I cam cross this off my bucket list. Lol

I really WISH that my local KYMCO dealer had had a NeW Xciting 500 in stock at a markdown because their dealer fees are MUCH more reasonable. But they only had the Downtown and the other 300cc and BELOW scooters in stock .

That's the difference between a local mom and pop dealer ( All About Scooters) vs a chain of dealerships like the one I dealt with yesterday. (RIDENOW POWERSPORTS)
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:41:47 AM »
Price doesn't really matter, being happy with it does. We don't buy these things as investments, we buy them because they add enjoyment to our lives.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:37:53 AM »

I really WISH that my local KYMCO dealer had had a NeW Xciting 500 in stock at a markdown because their dealer fees are MUCH more reasonable. But they only had the Downtown and the other 300cc and BELOW scooters in stock .

I don't know much about the machine you bought, but if the other 300cc the Kymco dealer had was a GTI300 you should have tried it. I think you would have been quite impressed with the performance.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
A new Yamaha Majesty is one sweet scooter to throw a leg over every morning!
Yes Heaven is going to be incredible.....which likely includes a lot full of Majestys....
DTs....GTi s.....SilverWings....BV350s.....and Vespas with leather seats!
Enjoy your superb scooter and Florida riding. ..safely!
Pictures.....?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
A new Yamaha Majesty is one sweet scooter to throw a leg over every morning!
Yes Heaven is going to be incredible.....which likely includes a lot full of Majestys....
DTs....GTi s.....SilverWings....BV350s.....and Vespas with leather seats!
Enjoy your superb scooter and Florida riding. ..safely!
Pictures.....?
Stig
True. It's a sweet scooter. Seems just a little easier to maneuver at really low speeds than the Xciting 250.
 As for scooters in Heaven, that's not what I preach to my congregation. But I think that's one of the pleasant surprises we might find there to ride on those streets paved with gold. Lol.

Pictures? The weather cleared up for several hours yesterday. So I rode around and took a few pictures with my iPad. But i need to know how to make them fit. It says the file is too large when I try to upload. Any tips?

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »

I don't know much about the machine you bought, but if the other 300cc the Kymco dealer had was a GTI300 you should have tried it. I think you would have been quite impressed with the performance.
I'm sure the GTI300 is a great scooter. But it's not really my style. I fell in love with the maxi scooter look and the large under seat storage. Wouldn't mind having one as a second scooter if I get to the place where I can afford it.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()