Author Topic: Speedometer stuck below peg??  (Read 1835 times)

IsntThatXciting

• View Profile
Speedometer stuck below peg??
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
Hello All.  Just got my 2009 Kymco Xciting 250 back from the shop today from winter work and storage.  While riding it out of the lot, I noticed the speedometer wasnt working, but the tach/gas/odo gauges, etc all were.    I immediately took it back to the shop and put in on the center stand to get a closer look, and it appeared that the needle for the speedometer had somehow become stuck under the small peg below the 0 mph.  The mechanic had no idea how that would have happened, and it certainly wasnt like that when I brought the bike in a couple months prior.

Im not sure how to proceed, as it appears to be working, but now it just cant get past that small peg as I accelerate. Anyone seen this before, do I have to replace the whole assembly unit or is there a way to fix this?  The mechanic apologized, but they were busy at the moment since a lot of people were picking up their bikes, and my wife had already left, so I didnt have any other options to get home really, and to call Monday to make some arrangements for a repair.

Any advice, or anyone seen this issue before and know how to fix it?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer stuck below peg??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
I have no idea but just for kicks, try putting the bike on the center stand and spin the front wheel backwards quickly.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

IsntThatXciting

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
It was worth a try, but no dice.  Didnt move the needle the opposite direction.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
I've seen the same thing happen on occasion with a car speedometer because of an electrical glitch for unknown reasons. Most of the time, if the clear lens can be removed, all that is needed is to gently lift the needle over the peg, and all is well. I don't know if that can be done on the Kymco or not. But it's worth a try
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
Flipping powerful magnet?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

IsntThatXciting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
The thing is, is that Im not sure how to get to the dial without taking off the front fairing and getting in through the back.  I replaced the front fairing before, so Im familiar with it, but I think that may be the only way to do it - going in through the back.

SB1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
On my 2007 the speedo needle will spin all the way around to the pin after the power has been lost, and it's reseting. Disconnect the battery and then hook back up. It should reset the speedo. I had the same issue and this worked.

IsntThatXciting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 12:25:03 AM »
Fixed!  I disconnected the battery, the gauges reset themselves, and now its fixed.  How odd, its never done that before the 100 times or so I feel like Ive disconnected the battery.  The best I can figure is that it was connected and disconnected so quickly the gauge never reset itself fully.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()