Author Topic: Don't Overfill that Oil!  (Read 3152 times)

Jim Moore

• View Profile
Don't Overfill that Oil!
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
Changed the oil today. Overfilled it a little bit. I put in about 0.8 liters, which had oil covering the bottom of the fill hole. A little overfilled, but not too bad. I started the bike up and let it run for a minute or two, then shut down and checked the oil again. Holy crap! It was completely emulsified. It was the color of caramel, completely opaque, and filled with tiny bubbles.

Oh well, lesson learned. I drained out some oil. I'm going to let it sit overnight and hopefully the bubbles will percolate out. i think I'm good-to-go. Any violent disagreement?

MrKymco

• View Profile
Re: Don't Overfill that Oil!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
you sound good to go to me, no disagreement here

nice reminder to not overfill the oil, though. when i change my oil i always pour in around 8oz, check, and take it slow from there. when i had overfilled early on i would have to drain the oil again or use a pump to draw some out the fill hole. neither was fun to do

for those who don't know its important to remember the space between completely LOW and completely FULL on the dipstick is roughly 1/10 the oil the scoot requires. give or take a bit. so if oil shows anywhere on the stick its fine. when i check my oil if its around 1/3 up the stick i feel good. if it goes much lower (usually not) i will add just a bit to bring it up to half or 2/3 at the most. but "topping off" is not necessary and can indeed be too full, so to speak

so if no oil appears on the stick don't just go dumping oil in, folks. you may be 1/3 quart down or just 1/10 of a quart. so add very slowly and check the level as you go along. you can go from LOW to over full very quickly otherwise

oh, the reason they do this of course is its a small engine and it's important to keep oil in the engine. so while a LOW reading on the stick (or even empty) may not actually be anything to worry about its better to be safe then sorry

so, keep the oil somewhere....anywhere on the stick, and you have enough oil. don't try to be perfect about where on the stick the oil is. as long as it's there you are good to go :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:36:50 AM by MrKymco »
scoots!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:49:56 AM »
If you overfill oil, the oil will reach the crankshaft and beat the oil when engine is running...like an egg beater.. and will turn your oil into froth... this explains the bubbles in your oil...  bubbles are air, and air cannot help in lubricating... go figure...

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
Quick question: Should the stick (cap) be screwed in for testing or not?

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Have you actually read the manual, or not?

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
Thought I did. Must have missed that part; although I have a feeling that the cap should not be screwed in for testing... can you help me out here or do have have to go home and search one hour for the manual?  ;D

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »

screwed in to check the oil level, yes. otherwise you will overfill
scoots!

Jim Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Owner's Manual says do not screw it in. Repair manual doesn't specify.

MrKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
I was told by my dealer dipstick screwed in, and took his word. Measuring for capacity when filling and draining it would seem accurate.

Here is more on the topic.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4005.0

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=932.0

Many Kymco manuals do in fact say not screwed in. BUT i digress as the oil measured after full drain and refill with the dipstick screwed in is accurate to capacity. Also if you "top off" with the stick screwed in, lets just say for the sake of doing so....you are still good to go measuring with the stick not screwed in because oil will still show somewhere on the stick. So the difference is negligible so long as once again, oil shows on the stick

I would rather be less full then over full so at oil change time I just add the roughly less then a U.S. quart as the manual states (0.8L), check with the stick screwed in, and ride. 
scoots!

bostonscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
I have always screwed in completely just like I do with a car when using a dipstick to check engine oil. With the scooters I'm particularly careful to keep the tip centered so it doesn't contaminate the results with the thin bit of oil coating the inside of the spout.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()