Author Topic: Carb Idle/Mixture procedure  (Read 1174 times)

stl mike

• View Profile
Carb Idle/Mixture procedure
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
I'm looking for a procedure to set mixture/idle for my 2002 People 2T. I just cleaned the carb and installed a new valve cover breather type air filter.

I can't twist the throttle out of idle without it bogging.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Carb Idle/Mixture procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
Did you up the main jet after putting that pod filter on? You will NEED TO UPJET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also don't expect any performance gains at all from just installing a pod filter. In fact it may hurt your performance and get water in it. If you have the stock air box 1-1.5 turns out works best for the mixture. Main jet size should be around #82
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:43:54 AM »
Thanks for your response. No I haven't up-jetted. I thought the stock main jet was an 85, no?

Where is the best place to buy some jets?

stl mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:11:14 AM »
Does anyone have a procedure to follow?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:19:43 AM by stl mike »

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
I pulled this from another post:

Anyway... the proper way to set the idle mix is to turn the smaller screw (idle mixture screw) in either direction until you get the highest rpm you can. If it goes too high use the larger screw (idle speed screw) to compensate, and repeat this till you get the best "tune" you can.
Once you achieve this turn the idle mix screw 1/8 - 1/4 turn counter clockwise if the screw is closest to the engine (intake) side, or 1/8th - 1/4 turn clockwise if the screw is closer to the air box side of the carb.
What that does is Slightly enrich the idle to prevent a lean running condition.
This procedure is best done w/ a new or clean air filter/fuel filter/new spark plug.

As a base line setting these small carbs run at or near 2 turns out from seated. This is just a base line, and not etched in stone.
Give it a shot, and see how it does.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()