Author Topic: My Yager is stalling!! Please help  (Read 8891 times)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: My Yager is stalling!! Please help
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »
If it was the coil, it would show on the diagnostics tool.  Isn't there someone in this audience who knows how to use the Kymco diagnostics?  Someone hinted at using the diagnostics, but no detail followed. It's painful watching all the wasted guess-work going on here!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »
So sorry, JJ, no code for malfunction in coil. At least on the DT code roster which is SIMILAR to the Yager. Someone with the Yager service manual could close that loop. DE DEE! WAKE UP! Codes for Yager, please! US calling Canada, over.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
So sorry, JJ, no code for malfunction in coil. At least on the DT code roster which is SIMILAR to the Yager. Someone with the Yager service manual could close that loop. DE DEE! WAKE UP! Codes for Yager, please! US calling Canada, over.
You want the number for Timmies up there, Karl?
(got 'em all on speed dial)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2019, 10:55:53 PM »
Who "Timmies?"
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2019, 12:34:20 AM »
Who "Timmies?"
Canada's second most famous personage, after the RCMP's, Tim Horton.
Dedee is probably hanging out there.
Stig
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2019, 03:13:34 AM »
 no timmiys for me I have home cooking yum yum   bringing tool to jim soon , but I am not good on diagnostics,.   Ill bring my yager and cross check from one to the other to see if there is a difference,.   

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2019, 12:09:29 AM »
no timmiys for me I have home cooking yum yum   bringing tool to jim soon , but I am not good on diagnostics,.   Ill bring my yager and cross check from one to the other to see if there is a difference,.

Thanks De Dee!  I've got your diagnostic tool and realized that if I leave it under the seat, I can't see it unless I turn off the ignition (which then powers off the tool and you lose any DTC it might have detected...). 

So, the cable is long enough that I could route it under the seat and leave the tool in my pocket; so I did another tour of the neighbourhood, again repeating the 'moderate speed stall' symptom, got home, checked the tool with the engine still running...  and there were NO DTCs!  No trouble codes.  All is within spec.  So now I'm thinking 'what else can it be'? Could it be fuel related and therefore not detected by the diagnostic tool? 

Took the floor board off, measured the resistance of the fuel pump...  it is supposed to be 1 ohm (+\- 0.2 according to the service manual).  It measures 2.7 ohms.  Yes, it is out of spec and I would say while it still pumps, it is too weak, and therefore not able to supply sufficient fuel pressure when under load.   Time for a new fuel pump!  \

I took the pump right out of the fuel tank and have some pictures of the filter - let me know if you think it might also be plugged up. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:44:13 PM by Louder North »
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »

I can confirm there is no DTC for the coil.  It displays idle RPM, battery voltage, TPS volts at idle, TPS volts at WOT, atmospheric and manifold pressure in kPa, fuel injector interval (in ms), ignition advance (in degrees), ABV angle (in degrees), sensor voltage (in mv) (I think this refers to O2 sensor), O2 heater (on or off), ABV adaptation (in degrees), ECU counter (total hours of operation), cutout voltage, ignition dwell (in ms) and air temp.  For DTC it will display current, previous and history of DTC codes. 
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2019, 03:31:20 AM »
remember  yager 200  he had stalling too,.  he installed new filter from auto supply and same problem  he ordered a  micron fine filter and that solved the missing  if we look up his measages,  we could see where he ordered it.,  and how fine of a filter,

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2019, 02:38:40 AM »
remember  yager 200  he had stalling too,.  he installed new filter from auto supply and same problem  he ordered a  micron fine filter and that solved the missing  if we look up his measages,  we could see where he ordered it.,  and how fine of a filter,

This is the thread you meant right de dee?  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12666.0
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
Thanks De Dee!  I've got your diagnostic tool and realized that if I leave it under the seat, I can't see it unless I turn off the ignition (which then powers off the tool and you lose any DTC it might have detected...). 

So, the cable is long enough that I could route it under the seat and leave the tool in my pocket; so I did another tour of the neighbourhood, again repeating the 'moderate speed stall' symptom, got home, checked the tool with the engine still running...  and there were NO DTCs!  No trouble codes.  All is within spec.  So now I'm thinking 'what else can it be'? Could it be fuel related and therefore not detected by the diagnostic tool? 

Took the floor board off, measured the resistance of the fuel pump...  it is supposed to be 1 ohm (+\- 0.2 according to the service manual).  It measures 2.7 ohms.  Yes, it is out of spec and I would say while it still pumps, it is too weak, and therefore not able to supply sufficient fuel pressure when under load.   Time for a new fuel pump!  \

I took the pump right out of the fuel tank and have some pictures of the filter - let me know if you think it might also be plugged up.

While still waiting for the fuel pump from Solano for my gray Frost, another Frost came up for sale in my area.  Pristine condition, newer year, fewer kilometers, white in colour; the price was right so I bought it.  Will still repair my first one but will sell it next year (I still have your diagnostic tool de dee!).
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
Well, after consider efforts to no avail on my part, I am happy (but also a bit chastened to confess) that I have, finally, sorted out the cause of the moderate/higher speed stalling and tachometer 'diving' issue.     

Faulty spark plug cable.  Photo of culprit attached.

My fault for starting at the coil and working the other way to the stator.  Then thought is was a fuel issue.  Fuel pump checked out, no plugged air vent from the tank, fuel vapour value OK too. I taped the outside of the sparkplug cable also to ensure no leakage, as was reported in this thread but that didn't help. On the plus side, I have learned a lot about the electrical and fuel system but the most important lesson for me was that I should have started on the easy to test/fix items first. 

10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2020, 09:27:47 PM »
With the help of the parts counter guy at our local MC store (Ottawa Good Time Centre), I salvaged the connectors on the old spark plug cable and added them to a new $1 piece of cable. 

Runs like a charm now.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »
One buck for a piece of spark plug cable and it is smooth as glass! That fuel filter looked pretty grubby! You now the Yager/Frost expert! Good persistance!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()