Author Topic: need help with tuning  (Read 5637 times)

motulken

• View Profile
Re: need help with tuning
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
I wasn't looking for a scooter but when I was there looking for a part I saw it. Always thought they were cool. It was not the copper one. It was red, story was it was traded in and the son in law bought it but then decided to sell it. I grabed it because I thought it would not last long at $600. I offered $500 and the took it. Then I did research and found out after the deal was done was that they come with 2 different motors, One a minarelli that there are a million parts for and a Morini that there is very little for. When I picked it up the next day sure as sh** it was the Morini motor. I was a little disapointed but it still run great and it very trick looking. I'll use it when I travel to races and events and not beat my Aprilia to death. In a couple of years I'll give it to my kid. He's 13 and has his eye on it
   I was told the 90PSI in marginal and it will run but not well, no power, It is supposed to have like 140 PSI. I bought a Kymco piston from Dal-Kaw because I wanted the part that day. What a rip off. My buddy broke the ring when going back together. Dal wanted $40 for just the ring, I refused to do business with Dal-Kaw, I found these guys on line
http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KYM They have a micro fisch to look up parts and the price was almost half of the pirate. They shipped it to me in 3 days. I would buy from them again. If I had to do it again I would buy one for $20 off  ebay. I had about $140 in the Kymco one.
   I do not think my issue is with the carb, it runs too good, it's got the be tuning the CVT. It's ridable now but I think it can be better. I just did the variator, belt and clutch torque spring(1500) on my wifes Aprilia Scarabeo yesterday.  It pulls great. I need to take it for a longer test ride.  Before it ran great but would slow down from 50MPH to about 25 on a long hill I use as a test ride. I hope the stonger spring will help.
  I'm going to order the 1500 torque and clutch spings for the Kymco and then I'm done with it.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Yeah, that was a great deal. Your right, it wouldn't have lasted at all....They are very sweet to look at for sure... A morini huh?... YEah mina parts are everywhere, but if you go to a "specialty shop", you can find the parts but of course they are pricier than most. AF1racing sells the ap parts, they have alot of nice stuff. High but nice...(they do have alot for morinis)
Someone had said one time that carb tuning could "show up" and you'd think it was the cvt. Mine runs great as long as you dont rap the throttle which sux. How can you get the hole shot if tyou can't just yank it open? :D
Oh yeah, stiffer springs love the hills. I'm sure the wifeys will be alot better now with a set of 1500's in..Sounds like you are an aprilia family out there.. :D
Oh come on, you'll NEVER be "done with it"... :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

motulken

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
Saw your Sr50 on craigslist. Looks pretty good.

I got the 1500 contra spring,  7 gm roller weights and went with 2000 red clutch springs. The S9 is running strong. Speedometer is buried at 50. Pulls hills great. The slow take off seems improved. It's ridable now. It seems to run better the more I ride it. I was going to look at the jeting but it runs great and the plug looks good. As far as I know the carb is stock but maybe the original owner did some mods. It did have the stock exhaust on it though. Have you found any better air filter beside the stock one for performance. You never let me know, do you still have the stock airbox on yours?
 I'll keep riding it, I may go to Mary and get some jets. All that's left is to change the rear tire. I got a deal at the distributor I visited last week. If my nephew does not get his act together and come up with $150 to make it legal in Florida I may sell it. I'll give him a until I go down for bike week.
   The Dragster only has 90 lbs of compression. I'll be doing a top end on it. Morini motor is very hard to find parts for. I'll have to order from England. Piston and gasket will be about $120 or Malossi 70 big bore kit is about $300. I'll have to se if I can get a dealer to get me the good guy price. 

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
HEy man, sorry i missed you this a.m. I guess you'll check this IN the a.m(we should go ride before the weather kills it)...You went looking at it huh? :D. thanks for the compliment. I do think it would look ALOT better sitting in YOU and the misses' driveway.  ;) That's all it's missing. I even have a brand new exhaust to go with it. Price is neg., did you read the bottom about partial? kymco trades? ;D  ;D ::).....(for real tho, you need a piggy sr50 :P)

I have went and jumped back into trying to learn this carb tuning today. The "database" shows alot different than i had so i installed that set-up. She started REAL easy too :o.. I guess my carb skills need more work.  ::) There are only 2-3 ppl using the Q1 needle, all others use the S1. I need to try the S1. When i installed that darn "green" spring, my cvt went to crap. >:( When i take off it'll hit the powerband but fall out, take a min to catch up and THEN she'll shoot down the rd... I THINK the rollers are heavy? making it fall OUT of the band. Swapped in some 6.5's tonight hoping it will help it stay in the band. Maybe i went the right way.. ??? ::)
Is the dragster a italijet dragster50 h2o?. If so,Ever seen this web site?http:
//www.spi-parts.com/models-1/italjet/dragster-2t-h20-1.html
On the air filter, I have been running those that mary sells for $10. Cheap cone shaped. They work good but of course a K&N would be the ticket for a cone filter... Alot of ppl use the stock box(maybe mod it) vs the open filter but there isn't really any "performance" differences. The stock box will help if rainy weather for SURE!!!!. The stock is a little quieter also but i don't mind the extra noise. I like to hear it when i haul ass... :D
Oh wow, your going to bike week? I may be able to trade the sr50 for a nice S9 if i was there if he hasn't sold it yet. 8) I'd trade him QUICK too.... :D
You got hooked up with a distributar for tires?. That could come in real handy there..They get expensive. ::)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 01:19:40 AM »
http://www.spi-parts.com/models-1/italjet/dragster-2t-h20-1.html

Maybe this link will work.. ;D I messed the other one up in my post
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

motulken

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:11:29 AM »
I have used those cone filters before and they can make it tricky for tuning. I have used the foam UNI style on a few bikes and they seem better but it's hard to beat the stock box. You can modify them but making some cut outs. Mary sell some one inch type that you drill a hole and punch them in the hole to flow more air. My son and I do some mini road racing with the South East Mini road group .We have several bikes from a stock TTR90 to a heavaly modded one. I have a ttr125 with a 170 kit as well as a 106 based XR50. Lot of carbs to tinker with.
   I saw several Euro sites to order from but  the deal is 98% on all parts for thr Dragster are Manerilli based. With the Morini motor I'm told that I need to order engine parts for the Italjet formula 50 LC. To add to the confussion more some parts say to the 10mm wrist pin while others say there is a 12m pin version. I like to have my parts on hand but I'm hesitant to order until I tear it down. The big bore 70 Malossi kit is calling my name.
   My wife does not know about the Dragster yet. She looked at it but did not know it was new to me. I thought about a trade on your SR but the Kymco was supposed to be a beater for my nephew. He is a destroyer and I needed a cheap scoot. I did not know I would have to rebuild the whole thing. I got it cheap enough at least I know what's been done and it should last him a while. It was a learning experience, my buddy and I have learned a lot and it makes it easier to get my own fleet dialed in.
   In the end I changed the belt to the right sized one and I used a variator Kit and complete clutch meant for a GY6 based 50 4 stroke.( Off Ebay ) Then added the 1500 RPM contrast spring and 2000 RPM clutch springs with 7 gm roller weights. I went with a stock Kymco piston and rings, added the Leo Vince tt pipe. We cut out a chunk of the inside of the air box to increase flow and never touched the carb other that to turn the air screw to 1.5 out. It runs great, plug is like the color of hot chocolate.
My SR will be next. It runs so good I hate to touch it. I have a new Leo Vince pipe also but now I have a Giannelli on it now. It hard to change anything on it, ( But I will ). I think it needs the heavier conta and clutch springs. I runs good but will loose speed on a long incline. I work from home most of this week maybe we can get  a ride in depending on how much free time I can get .

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
It does eem that the stock airbox is preferred by alot. I have heard about it being harder to tune with a open filter. I like the look better also. ::) Oh wow, sounds like you have some nice toys out back. I'll bring my carb to you... :D
OH No, she doesn't know huh. You'll get "grounded" if not carefull.. ;D
Sounds like the s9 is right on target these days.. I'll get mine soon... Maybe today.. ??? may ride to smileys this a.m instead. :D
At least with your sr, it's a mina, so parts are everywhere. Could be time for some springs
That sounds like a good plan, maybe we can get some sort of ride in....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
Boy, she sure runs different this week. ;)
Carb is ALOT closer!
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

motulken

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
Glad to hear it. My Kymco is running great. Just found out my nephew is in jail. He sold guns to a "buddy" and it came back a year later to bite him in the ass. ATF agents at the door.
  Wifes Scarabeo did not run too good. Lost power and top end. I need to do a compression test. I think it has low compression and is too weak to push the heavy springs. Dragster still waiting on parts. Made a new connection for parts last week. Called Polini USA to ask questions. They run a online store called  spi-parts.com. When I told the guy who I was, he hooked me up with a " Industry guy discount". Check them out if you need anything let me know

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »
Oh man, yeah could be time for some rings....
That's the same place i sent you the link for awhile back for parts on the dragster. :D
Yeah, some of thier prices are great but i'm always afraid of the shipping. :D
I am going to be looking for another kit to redo my zx VERY soon. ;) :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

motulken

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
The spi-parts.com guy is in CA, not in Europe. Retail is a little pricey but I got a pretty good deal on what I got.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
OH MAN, Don't i just feel stupid. :o >:(
TBH, i have never even looked, i guess i always ASSUMED they were "across the pond". But then again, you know what happens when you assume?  ::) That would be me.  :-[
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()