Author Topic: Small exhaust cover coming loose.  (Read 1791 times)

ScootrGrl

• View Profile
Small exhaust cover coming loose.
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
I lost my small exhaust cover shortly after buying the scoot.  The dealer figured it was the vibration causing the screws to come loose.  They replaced the parts under warranty and then I went to Amerivespa.  When I got to my first stop along the way, the cover was very loose but still attached.  I decided to just remove it rather than take the risk of losing yet another one.

Has anyone else had this problem? :-\

Thanks,
Tracy

joelong

• View Profile
Re: Small exhaust cover coming loose.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »
Hey, SG, just wanted to say hello.  My brother and I introduced ourselves to you at AmeriVespa, and I told you that I was planning to by a 300 GTi, and I did -- in gold.  Love it.

Joe

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:18 AM »
I have lost one of the shield screws as well :( but I bought a package of them at Lowe's. If I get motivated I will paint it too match. I need the shield as I use saddle bags and need the protection

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »
..tracy, welcome to the forum...

..sometimes you gotta check those oem fasteners...

..especially on those "heat-cycled" parts...

..heating and cooling causes fasteners to become loose...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:00:44 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ScootrGrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
Hi Joe!  I do remember you and your brother from Amerivespa.  Glad to hear you love the bike.

The dealer replaced the shield and it wasn't so much the screws were coming loose.  The screws were tight when I stopped on my way to Amerivespa but the shield was rattling away.  I don't know if I would have lost it but I didn't want to take any chances since it had just been replaced.  I'll just have to keep an eye on it but since they had to replace a bolt the second time around, they added loctite so we'll see.

Tracy 

MassScoot

• View Profile
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

kidbuffalo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »
Hey scootgrl, Wish I paid attention when I read this last year. I was getting a buzzing noise when taking off and after a little looking, I found out one of my screws came out also. Got a replacement at home depot and this time I put locktite on them. Pay attention to the lady guys....

ScooterBus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
I had the same problem, however it was not the screws being loose, it was the lenght of the screws. The screws were tight and bottomed out and I added some S.S. washers to push down on the cover. Of course a shorter screw would work. Same issue I had with the main exhaust cover. Go figure.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()