Author Topic: Finally Changed Parking Cable  (Read 506 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Finally Changed Parking Cable
« on: May 31, 2022, 04:20:09 PM »
Well, I finally (had some other projects going around the house) got around to replacing my broken parking brake cable this weekend. Pleased to report it was a fairly easy job. Really about 15 minutes for the actual cable replacement, plus a couple hours to jack up the vehicle, remove skid plates, crawl around under vehicle snipping cable ties and opening up cable clamps built into frame, removing old cable, snaking new cable into position, etc.

There was no need to remove the outer skid plates along the sides of the vehicle, which was good, as that would have also forced me to remove my rock slider bars to get to those. Just the plates under the center of the vehicle provided all the access I needed.

As for the install itself, here's a tip for anyone who ever has to do this job: hook up the REAR end of the cable (at brake) FIRST. I had the front of the cable (at dash lever) hooked up first and trying to get enough slack to slide the cable into position in the back was a real PITA, especially while lying on my back under the machine. Leave the front loose and you will have a much easier time attaching the back end. Then you can sit comfortable in the front seat and get the front end hooked up without much trouble.

Well, that's all there is to it. This is my third year owning the machine and so far that's the first real repair I've had to make, at a grand total of $50. Did have a non-starting issue last year, which turned out just to be a fouled spark plug. That was a $5 fix.

2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Finally Changed Parking Cable
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the update, alway good to hear when folks resolve an issue!   The tips you gave will certainly help all of us when that time comes...  awesome license plate holder I have one just like it .....lol

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Changed Parking Cable
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 04:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the update, alway good to hear when folks resolve an issue!   The tips you gave will certainly help all of us when that time comes...  awesome license plate holder I have one just like it .....lol

Yeah, we fancy! Maybe we should market those as "license plate holders" at a steep markup!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()