Author Topic: 2001 People 50 Low top speed  (Read 1023 times)

Steve_h

• View Profile
2001 People 50 Low top speed
« on: July 01, 2019, 02:21:18 AM »
I got a 2001 People 50 earlier this year with what appeared to be 1700 miles on it.
After getting it running, I found that the speedo is not working. I haven't even messed with trying to get it to work yet.
The variator was well worn. No boss restriction. Rollers extremely flat sided. Installed new Dr Pulley sliders. Made takeoff much better, smoother.

Someone before I got the bike had cut out the snorkel in the air cleaner and had trimmed the air intake to its full square size on the air cleaner. It needed rejetting severely. Done. Stock carb.

There was also no exhaust so this was installed.
http://www.partsforscooters.com/161-231-Kymco-Sym-Stock-Exhaust?sc=31&category=132540
This is supposed to be unrestricted from what I could find on the net. There is no washer in the cylinder end. There was the tiny restricter in the exhaust end that takes it down to about 5/16. I have removed it. It sounds better, seems to breathe easier but it pulls smartly up to 33 or so and just levels out like there's a restriction somewhere. Anybody have any experience with this exhaust that can confirm it is or is not restricted somewhere other than the plug in the rear that has been removed?

It doesn't act like a CDI restriction. I've never heard the misfiring associated or the retarded timing sound that is associated with some restricted CDIs.
The engine sounds like it is just starting to get into its own when it just stops going any faster. I don't have a tach but if I had to guess, I'd say it's between 6 and 7k rpm. My chinese 50 4t sounds like it winds out a lot better than this engine.

It also has a new, properly broken in top end. 50cc but has a Malossi 72cc head. Could that be some of the problem?

I realize this place doesn't seem too active these days. I will continue checking back for replies.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 People 50 Low top speed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »
Hi - when you say 31 - is that mph?

It does sound like a CDI restriciton to me. They can be quite subtle if they're done well...

My Chinese 4Ts were usually good for about 40 on the flat.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Steve_h

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 08:44:28 PM »
Yes, that is mph. Somewhere form 31 to 33 is about it. I was under the impression that the 2001 cdi wasn't restricted.
I've seen some posts on here that say it is and some that say it isn't. Of course, Kymco won't tell you anything. I take it that it's not the same as a chinese cdi.

I've seen my completely bone stock chinese 50 4t over 50 gps mph before on flat land. It's rather scary at that speed. It starts floating around 48.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
It's very hit and miss with CDIs. You never know what's going on inside the box. I ran Baotians for a few years that would either do 28 flat out or 50 depending on what CDI was in, and I suspect that's the case here
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Steve_h

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:44:07 AM »
Well then...I may have to try a different CDI.
It is 18 years old after all.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()