Author Topic: Just bought a Kymco people 50 2t advice on derestricting  (Read 1464 times)

jiminminn

• View Profile
Just bought a Kymco people 50 2t advice on derestricting
« on: November 07, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »
First let me start with, I already own a Kymco People 150 and I have my motorcycle license.   I liked the 150 so much that I kept searching for a 50 2t and finally found one with only 600 miles on it.    I have done enough reading on how to derestrict and I understand that if I do it,  to be legal I would need to change from a moped license to a motorcycle license.

I took a look at the variator boss and the previous owner must have had it changed as there is no "shoulder on it"   
I took off the exhaust and it still has the washer restriction in there.  I am 190 lbs and currently get about 35 mph on GPS on flat ground.    If I were to do the following how much top speed might I be able to add? 

1. Remove the restriction on the exhaust
2. Purchase and install an unrestricted CDI
3. Rejet the carb

Just trying to decide if it is worth it.   I am planning to use the people 50 exclusively on city streets where the traffic moves at around 35-40 mph and if I could give he a little help keeping up I wouldn't mind it. 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a Kymco people 50 2t advice on derestricting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
Derestricted 2T is good for 40mph maybe.

No harm in taking the exhaust restriction out, but I wouldn't bother with the CDI (it stops it over-revving for a reason) and there may be a little to be gained from upjetting, but I can't imagine it would be too much.

If it's revving well already, you may not gain much top speed as the gearing is still limited by the travels of the variator and clutch!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()