Author Topic: Rattling noise from transmission '07 people 50 2t  (Read 3541 times)

blufx

• View Profile
Rattling noise from transmission '07 people 50 2t
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »
I have this noise sometimes. When it happens, there's a big power loss. I noticed it before I installed the 70cc BBK, and it's still there. Sometimes, I can start off and I don't hear it. When that happens, I have plenty of power, but if it starts, power drops a lot.
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling noise from transmission '07 people 50 2t
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:30:06 AM »
Remove the CVT cover, have a look, and report back.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I should have mentioned I've taken it all apart. Everything looks great. I replaced the belt. The variator weights have a slight flat spot on them. I've seen a lot worse and not hear anything. Yesterday, I noticed I could start off holding the rear break and prevent the rattle. Today I pulled the rear wheel expecting to find loose springs or something. Everything is just the way it's supposed to be.  I can't see it involving the final drive gears. If they made noise, it would be constant.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:37:03 PM by blufx »
Looking back, when I said I wanted to be somebody, I should have been a lot more specific.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »
Did you check on the clutch?
Check stiffnes bell and pads.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
How many kilometers on scooter?  When did you change transmission oil last?  Rollers with flat spots are not working optimum, may be combination of worn parts causing issue, I don't know.  Good luck finder problem.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
Only 5200 miles (8,368 kilometers) the scooter. It has a variator pulley system with belt drive and centrifugal clutch. There is no transmission oil. Clutch pads and springs all look like new.

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »
Did you check on the clutch?
Check stiffnes bell and pads.

Everything looks like new. Springs are stiff and the pads are hardly showing any wear.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
Yes, does have transmission (gears) and takes approx 3 oz 90w gear oil.  Owner's manual recommends replace gear oil at 300k, 3000k, and 7000k.  If never been replaced, may be the problem?

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:20 AM »
Yes, does have transmission (gears) and takes approx 3 oz 90w gear oil.  Owner's manual recommends replace gear oil at 300k, 3000k, and 7000k.  If never been replaced, may be the problem?

You're correct. I wasn't thinking about the three gears in the final drive. However, I doubt the rattle is coming from the gears. If a cog were missing, it would produce a clunking sound and that would be there all the time. If it were low on oil, there would be again,  a constant whine, not a rattle. But thanks for the input. I'm going to change the gear oil just because I doubt it's been done.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:51:06 AM by blufx »

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »
I decided I'm going to pull the rear wheel  again. It takes such a light touch on the brake to stop the rattle, I think it has to be related to the brake shoes. Today I'm going to remove the shoes and take it for a ride. I shouldn't have to go far to know if it is. Then I'll try to figure out why it is. Your thoughts are welcome.

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »
I wouldnt ride without the shoe... take it apart clean it inspect the shoe lube it and then go for a spin.

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 07:23:48 PM »
I wouldnt ride without the shoe... take it apart clean it inspect the shoe lube it and then go for a spin.

I do appreciate your concern, but as I said I won't have to go far (less than a 1/4 mile) to know. I've investigated everything else. Now by eliminating the brake shoes, I'll know for sure very shortly. Everything will be cleaned and properly lubed when I put it back together. The shoes and linings look very good. Pads are around .140 inch thick(3.55mm). Service limit is 2mm, so they still have plenty of miles left on them. As you can see in the pic, with the exception of some brake dust, they're in perfect condition. Rather than reduce the image size, I uploaded the pic to my Box account. Here's the link:  https://app.box.com/s/4hs7xekgbiufea5m8y246fud8ca8p0cs

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »
No picture on your link for me, could be my computer....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
No picture on your link for me, could be my computer....

Karl

I just checked the link. The pic is there.

blufx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 09:10:38 PM »
Dammit! lol!  I was so sure I was going to find it, but it was still there and this time I couldn't touch the brakes to make it go away. Back to the drawing board. I cleaned the brakes and putting them back. I did notice there was no grease on neither the anchor pin or brake cam. I added another pic to my upload of the brake shoes after cleaning them, although there's little difference. The first pic is the after cleaning. https://app.box.com/s/4hs7xekgbiufea5m8y246fud8ca8p0cs
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:12:22 PM by blufx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()