Author Topic: Air Cooled Scooters ??  (Read 2855 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Air Cooled Scooters ??
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »
Is the 163cc aircooled engine in the LIKE200i the largest aircooled engine in a Kymco scooter?

Is any manufacturer currently using a larger aircooled engine in a new scooter?

If not, why not?
Plenty of motorcycles had larger aircooled engines with no issues.
Sure - more performance and less pollutants come from water cooled engines - but so do a lot of extra parts and issues to malfunction. Open the belly pan and plenty of air could flow over the fins.

Is there a bigger aircooled scooter engine out there?
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

beermak

• View Profile
Re: Air Cooled Scooters ??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »
Im not aware of a air cooled engine over 200cc on a scoot. I guess the forced air is not enough on bigger displacements.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »
Genuine Blur 220I is air cooled but I don't think it is still sold here unless there are leftover models. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:37:23 AM »
Im not aware of a air cooled engine over 200cc on a scoot. I guess the forced air is not enough on bigger displacements.

I have a hunch it's more of an emissions issue since there are large multi-cylinder motorcycle motors out there that are still air-cooled.

Either way kinda moot, barring a China scoot of some kind out there I'm pretty sure that 170ish is about as big as it goes these days in air-cooled scoots.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
I am worried a bit about my LIKE with summer on it's way.  The Aussie summer can be very hot and at least with a motorcycle the engine is exposed and not surrounded in plastic. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
I am worried a bit about my LIKE with summer on it's way.  The Aussie summer can be very hot and at least with a motorcycle the engine is exposed and not surrounded in plastic. 
Don't think that you need to worry.
Remember these scoots are sold all over the globe...running on 3rd world fuels in hot climes.
Keep good oil in it, change frequently, don't sit and idle, take off your pants, don't  do much WOTing. ( Note: all suggestions  are just my habits.....no Kymco affiliation )
Good luck with that, down there.
Stig
I guess  if you're  really seeing an issue...you could remove that center panel just below seat front.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:39:50 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
I have a hunch it's more of an emissions issue since there are large multi-cylinder motorcycle motors out there that are still air-cooled.

Either way kinda moot, barring a China scoot of some kind out there I'm pretty sure that 170ish is about as big as it goes these days in air-cooled scoots.

Its true but a motorcycle air cooled engine is exposed... in a scooter is hidden under plastics and in a different position thats why it gets forced air to cool.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
Don't think that you need to worry.
Remember these scoots are sold all over the globe...running on 3rd world fuels in hot climes.
Keep good oil in it, change frequently, don't sit and idle, take off your pants, don't  do much WOTing. ( Note: all suggestions  are just my habits.....no Kymco affiliation )
Good luck with that, down there.
Stig
I guess  if you're  really seeing an issue...you could remove that center panel just below seat front.

Just a quick question Stig, when you say don't sit and idle do you mean to switch off the engine when at a red light.   I'm not game enough to ask you about the no pants advice   :o

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »
I had a like 125 and our summers are also very hot. Ride 95% city with heavy traffic in downtown and no issues.
What he states is do not let it idling for long periods. A red light wont be a problem... longer than 5mins shut it if you feel scared!

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
Just a quick question Stig, when you say don't sit and idle do you mean to switch off the engine when at a red light.   I'm not game enough to ask you about the no pants advice   :o

Our Likes' have a fan to force air across the engine. Best to let idle at stops.

Stig doesn't let a hot summer day stop him from riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »

No, no need to switch off at stop lights. If it is a long one - put the side stand down, hop off, remove pants and loosen up with some jogging in place and toe touches.
This is good cardio ...discourages tail-gaiters...and might get you & your scooter in tomorrow's newspaper.
Your children are already embarrassed that you ride a scooter....so no harm done.
The LIKE engine head has a plastic shroud - into which fresh air is blown from a side fan

Stig
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:45:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:36:11 PM »
Thanks for that,  appreciated.  I have been looking at some summer riding gear and I know the Stig is a hi viz wearer so what do you think of this:

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
Thanks for that,  appreciated.  I have been looking at some summer riding gear and I know the Stig is a hi viz wearer so what do you think of this:

I am NOT going to click on that thumbnail!
I hope that was CGI.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »

Perfect for you Stig.
It would make you large displacement and air cooled......

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »
I dunno I think the large displacement is something he'd already have to have OEM, this would just help direct the airflow and protect it.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()