Author Topic: Super 8 Fairing Removal?  (Read 5637 times)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Super 8 Fairing Removal?
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Has a DIY and or a video been posted of the S8 fairing removal?

I have already done the front, upper cowl assembly, and the rear tail section. Boy, both were a lot of work (a lot to remove)..... sheesh
I had started to do the front, main fairing, then gave up, because I had already spent a lot of time with the other two. I lost patience. It seems you practically remove them as a full assembly, as to removing independent fairing, or side pieces..... wtf?! What were these engineers thinking .... my lord!

Any case, I would appreciate if any of you can give me some insight of removal process oft he main and or lower fairing 9whether by side, or if as a whole).

Thanks!
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8 Fairing Removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
I think wkreps did some youtube videos on removing the plastics of his Super8.

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
I've said this before, the S8 is the hardest Kymco to crank open. Are you taking about the whole front legshield that houses the headlight? You have to get the side skirts off to reveal hidden screws. Also you have to take every screw that seams the rear legshield (black) to the front. There are a lot of them lol. Hidden screws behind the wheel too. After you get all the screws it should pry apart with a little effort.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »
I've said this before, the S8 is the hardest Kymco to crank open. Are you taking about the whole front legshield that houses the headlight? You have to get the side skirts off to reveal hidden screws. Also you have to take every screw that seams the rear legshield (black) to the front. There are a lot of them lol. Hidden screws behind the wheel too. After you get all the screws it should pry apart with a little effort.

It started out just trying to remove the lower skirt portion that is connected to the main upper, front fairing, of the right side. No Fn' way! Then, I started to remove the screws on the right side connected to the center, front panel. Nope. Then the screws in the front (near the front wheel. Again, nope. Then the screws of the guard behind the wheel ..... are you kidding ME?! I was afraid to start pulling and prying and hoping I would not break anything in the process. My guess is you need to remove every friggin' screw ..... this is ridiculous. that's why I am turning to you guys. I am sure some of you have stripped the fairings off and can offer more painless way of just removing one side at a time, rather than the whole front fairing assembly
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:10:10 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:59 PM »
It HAS to come out in one piece unless you customize it to split. The two halves are connected with screws that are only accessible once the whole front fairing/legshield is removed. It sucks but once you do it you'll know how to take it off quicker.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
It HAS to come out in one piece unless you customize it to split. The two halves are connected with screws that are only accessible once the whole front fairing/legshield is removed. It sucks but once you do it you'll know how to take it off quicker.

Just as I had thought ....... lame!

Disassembly would be so much quicker if they had simply used plastic quick connect style fasteners (like what is used on the 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250's), rather than a mix of 1500 friggin' screws and bolts. Good grief! :/

When you say leg shield, are you speaking of the center panel in front of the footboard? or the splash cover behind the front wheel? I have a sad feeling that you're going to say both :( ......uuuuuugggggggh!

Sorry for my vent. Although, I sure y'all share my frustration.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:36:54 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
I refer to the "fairing" as the legshield, there is the back legshield that is flat black and by your toes, and the front legshield that holds the headlight. You for have to remove the splash guard to get the front legshield off. It's a pita to get it all apart, but be thankful your not working on a Derbi or Aprilla, they decide to use torx, Philip, Allen and hex for body screws lol. At least kymco kept it mostly 10mm and Phillips.

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:38:44 AM »
I refer to the "fairing" as the legshield, there is the back legshield that is flat black and by your toes, and the front legshield that holds the headlight. You for have to remove the splash guard to get the front legshield off. It's a pita to get it all apart, but be thankful your not working on a Derbi or Aprilla, they decide to use torx, Philip, Allen and hex for body screws lol. At least kymco kept it mostly 10mm and Phillips.

Ah. Thanks for the clarity, and good point. One of these days I'll get the panel names correct.......newb (myself) ..... Lol if and when I get around to removing the front body work, and or other, I'll be sure to document it to share with others.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Start here and work your way through the vids :)

Wayne

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Start here and work your way through the vids :)

Thanks, Wayne :) Prior to posting, I had done many searches on the subject (Super 8 * fairing removal) and received no helpful hits.
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 06:09:29 PM »
Follow-up ......

@Wayne - I finally got a chance to review several of your video sequences. You probably almost fell out of your chair laughing after reading my rant on the subject. 'Cause I couldn't help but laugh (under my breathe) during your commentary and removal process, and sequencing frustration. I apologize. I truly appreciate the effort you put forth and providing us video, as painful of an experience it was for you, and for me as well. Again, Thank You :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:12:27 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()