Author Topic: Reason of variator damage  (Read 551 times)

darkshvein

• View Profile
Reason of variator damage
« on: September 27, 2023, 12:32:56 PM »
Good day.
Already 2 time for this year, I order and replacing
FACE DRIVE KYMCO XCITING 500 ORIGINAL 22102-LBA2-E00. (screenshot)
Please suggest, why it can broken so often?
I guessing about not original belt for cause of this. Maybe other reason?
Thanks.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Reason of variator damage
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 12:39:50 PM »
I'll be interested to read responses to this as end of last year I experienced a catastrophic failure on my X-Town 300 where the nut came loose allowing the variator fan to foul the filter housing as the fan moved along the shaft. 

Looks to me as though for some reason, your fan has not snugged up along the shaft close enough to clear the housing, hence the wear.  It's why that you need to establish.  Could be that you're onto something with the belt.  For example, it might be that the non-standard belt is very slightly too short, stopping the two faces meeting correctly and preventing you from tightening up the retaining nut sufficiently?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 01:43:45 PM »
Yes - your nut came loose.
Nut not properly torqued .....OR was tightened to correct torque specs but belt was pinched instead.
Wrong technique for installing belt - nut mistakenly tightened on the belt.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

darkshvein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »
where the nut came loose allowing the variator fan to foul the filter housing as the fan moved along the shaft. 
This ia also my first case.I decided that the mechanics did not secure the nuts firmly enough and the fan cover was simply worn out
Looks to me as though for some reason, your fan has not snugged up along the shaft close enough to clear the housing, hence the wear.  It's why that you need to establish.  Could be that you're onto something with the belt.  For example, it might be that the non-standard belt is very slightly too short, stopping the two faces meeting correctly and preventing you from tightening up the retaining nut sufficiently?
Would installing a sealing washer on one side help?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 02:10:21 PM »
I’m sure a 5 cent tab washer would do the trick or Locktite blue thread lock?  Still need to check belt length though…
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:03:18 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 03:02:24 PM »

Might take a look at the exploded parts images here....see what is supposed to be in place.
Find your 500 model. Various washers shown depending on model.

https://www.leesonsarcticcat.com/oempartfinder

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 07:28:51 PM »
Classical case of pinched belt/NO name belt/MALOSSI kevlar-belt or forgotten shim/ wrongsided washer close to crankshaft, between face drive and boss.

AND, this 300/500 belt is prone to hit the upper and lower metal part of your (any) CVT housing. Watched it without CVT cover. Thought something wrong with that, but NO, also with a NEW original belt touches up and down.

Might also cause more vibrations/ tear and wear on belt and faces. Even I could not see this on my own 500, where its CVT wasn't opened until I got it with 17000 km. One can see this black mark down there.

CVT of Xciting 300/500 has 3(three) different shaped washers to keep pieces exactely in place to avoid such accidents.
Also its oilseal at CVTs inner side has an important role in this mechanic.
TALKING ABOUT 500 CVT, others might not have.

IF everything is correctely assambled and torqued to exact figures, no Loctite is required.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 09:47:33 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 12:28:09 PM »
Suspect the real cause is "mechanic" failing to get belt ALL the way down in driven pulley BEFORE snugging up front variator pulley half with fan.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 01:55:56 PM »
What I said.🛠
Everyone who is able to watch youtube or any other video channel nowadays and uses cutlery without severe accident, thinks he/she is a qualified mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 02:18:42 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()