Author Topic: Summer riding jackets?  (Read 5791 times)

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
Re: Summer riding jackets?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
Mesh Sports Armored Motorcycle Jacket $60  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U684PY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003U684PY&linkCode=as2&tag=kinderinfocom-20

Might work.

I have this jacket and it works great.  I got it from Leatherup for the same price and had a code for an add. 10% off.  For an armored jacket, it is light and comfortalbe.  I also have a nice leather 3 season jacket, with vents, but there is no comparison in hot weather.  The wind flows through the mesh.  Obviously it is not rain proof, but anything rain proof will by nature not breath - so pick your poison there.  You can soak in your sweat or occasionally risk getting wet from the rain.  As far as road rash - it ain't leather, but it is slick, tough material that should offer decent protection.  If you like the look, it's a great deal.

Bill
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
I have a Speed and Strength mesh jacket and the wife has a Fly Racing mesh jacket.  Sure, we sweat a little when it is over 90 degrees, but I would rather sweat and be safe... than sweat and be unsafe.  That road rash will leave a mark so i do what I can to prevent it.

To see our jackets, click here: http://jerryandcynthia.com/riding_jackets.php
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »
I have the hi-viz Firstgear mesh jacket. It has a removable inner liner for when it gets cooler.

maxhush

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
I have a black Xelement CF-505 mesh (it was $62 after discount coupon with shipping from Leatherup), and the blue Fly Racing Cool Pro Mesh jacket (it was $99 with free shipping from Competition Accessories). I removed the liner in the Cool Pro for Summer. Even in black, I find the Xelement cooler due to the better air flow. The Cool Pro seems to have better armor. Most of the hot days I wear the Xelement. I'd say the Cool Pro is the better made jacket, with better pockets, better armor, probably more durable, more versatile, etc. But the Xelement, for me, feels significantly cooler to wear on a hot day, even though it's a black jacket. Next time I get an Xelement though, I will try to get a color other than black. I'm glad I have both, I'll probably end up wearing the Cool Pro much more in Spring and Fall. I also carry a very compact light nylon windbreaker, which I keep under the seat, to put on underneath the mesh jacket if there is the chance of light rain or it might get cooler out (it's easier than messing with inserting or removing liners for a temporary situation). I also keep one of the ultralight Frogg Togg rainsuits under the seat for the event of heavier rain (they say that those breath, but they warm up pretty fast IMO). For whatever reasons, my jeans rarely get wet riding in light rain on my DT300i.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:53:47 PM by maxhush »
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
I have a red fly cool mesh jacket in medium that imam looking to sell. It was worn once.  Pm for details
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
DNA filters for GT i300 & 300i downtown
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »
if any one is interested, I will order dna filters and will have them in stalk,. in canada, 

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »
I have a Corazzo mesh jacket now. It's OK, but I've already had to do a little sewing on it in less than a year of riding. My Joe Rocket mesh jacket was much better quality and cost less.

allen1371

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
Mesh jackets cheap or not so cheap are only  effective with enough air flow  to keep cool and still protect in case of a fall. When the summer temps are over eighty I remove the windshield, tolerate the bugs and enjoy the airflow. Tennessee country roads are outstanding but we see 90 and 100 degree days all summer.

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
MotorcycleGear.com just put a Joe Rocket mesh jacket on closeout for $49. If I didn't already have 3 jackets I would be getting one.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/joe_rocket/fallout_jacket.html
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
I have a First Gear Hi Viz armored jacket. Paid @ $161 for it.
Bought it because:
1) They make a XXXL hi viz size.
2) it is probably 90% hi viz yellow w/very little non-hi-viz black mesh. (buying hi viz, want as much hi viz as possible~!)
3) Has long tail on back and long sleeves.
4) Has good water res. liner.

Fit~? Very long sleeves and roomy body fit GREAT~! (250lbs, 6'3")

Cons: it IS warm, but I expect that but much cooler than my Frogg Tog hi viz non-mesh rain jacket. Wish it had more reflective material on it. It has some, but not much.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:33:21 AM »
Stig,
That's the same jacket I have. I also chose it for the large amount of hi-vis color and the liner. Very good jacket, and I got it on a clearance sale for $120! Love it!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
With the recent heat wave we had out west, I bought an armored meshed jacket by Speed and Strength. It has a removable wick liner to draw the perspiration away from your body and aid in the cooling process. It's called Trial by Fire and it is their hi viz style.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()