Author Topic: Rough road ahead, what do you do?  (Read 808 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Rough road ahead, what do you do?
« on: July 27, 2023, 11:30:30 AM »
Probably only applies to those of us who ride slow and/or have smaller scooters.
When I'm approaching a lengthy section of bad pavement I'll check my mirrors, signal,  and pull to the curb ahead of a parked car to let closely following cars past me.
I signal, and resume my ride while shifting my weight forward on the seat...to equalize the weight as much as possible.
Some mornings I'll have shed a following car twice on my rides.
Always using a parked car to duck behind.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 05:49:21 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Rough road ahead, what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 12:17:09 PM »
Sounds like a wise precaution to me Stig.  On paved roads I can't honestly recall the last time a car passed me...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 09:28:35 PM »
I ride rough roads all the time.  There ain't no cars on many those roads and if there are they are going much slower than I am.  I stand on the pegs and shift my weight back if it's really rough.

I forgot to mention my bike has 9 inches of suspension travel and handles rough roads just fine!

If I'm on one of my scooters I'll dodge the potholes as best I can and raise my butt off the seat if needed.  I ride some pretty rough roads on my scooters.

My ADV 150 has bigger wheels and more suspension than my Like so it works better on rough roads

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 07:09:48 AM »
Timely this cropped up in my feed after my experience yesterday.  Been wet here lately and the leaves have started falling 🍂🍁. Taking daughter to Uni we were on the scooter for convenience.

Campus grounds have plenty of sleeping policemen (speed humps) most of which have a 6” gap curb side. Useful for single track vehicles; or at least they are when there’s no wet leaves in the gutter that is. See where this is going? 

So, Dad goes for the gap and gets it wrong by about 2” hitting a leaf covered camber which puts the  DTX360 into a slide left, then right as I correct.  A real rodeo ride ensued for a yard or so complete with one dab, but somehow I kept us upright. On parking all I get is “don’t do that again please”! Like I choose the cardio workout!

Take it easy out there.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 12:22:41 PM »
Nice recovery, Neil! That could have ended badly with your daughter riding pillion. I also stand up slightly on my pegs (Ha, try that on a cruiser!) on my bikes and do my best to avoid the holes on my scoot.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 01:08:44 PM »
Yeah, Neil! Nice recovery! Sweat breaking here just reading about it! Heh, heh...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 04:43:08 PM »
Timely this cropped up in my feed after my experience yesterday.  Been wet here lately and the leaves have started falling 🍂🍁. Taking daughter to Uni we were on the scooter for convenience.

Campus grounds have plenty of sleeping policemen (speed humps) most of which have a 6” gap curb side. Useful for single track vehicles; or at least they are when there’s no wet leaves in the gutter that is. See where this is going? 

So, Dad goes for the gap and gets it wrong by about 2” hitting a leaf covered camber which puts the  DTX360 into a slide left, then right as I correct.  A real rodeo ride ensued for a yard or so complete with one dab, but somehow I kept us upright. On parking all I get is “don’t do that again please”! Like I choose the cardio workout!

Take it easy out there.

Glad it came out OK!

That's the first time I heard Speed bumps called sleeping policeman but the term fits ;D
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 09:27:42 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I claim no conscious skill in saving it, that was all reflex action so I guess 40+ years riding experience in all conditions does lay down subliminal skills for when you need them?

Whatever, far better to read the road and avoid those situations in the first place so, slapped wrist for me there!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 01:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I claim no conscious skill in saving it, that was all reflex action so I guess 40+ years riding experience in all conditions does lay down subliminal skills for when you need them?

Whatever, far better to read the road and avoid those situations in the first place so, slapped wrist for me there!

An occasional adrenaline rush is good for you!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »
An occasional adrenaline rush is good for you!

Shows the old pump has still got some life in it yet?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 02:19:54 PM »
Shows the old pump has still got some life in it yet?

That's right.  I went out a couple of days ago a purposely rode some rough and slick "roads". 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 02:45:44 PM »
Good man yourself Klav!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 08:12:45 PM »
Good man yourself Klav!

Thanks!

My ride yesterday was a bit smoother but still fun.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()