Author Topic: waterproofing attempts by a freq rain rider  (Read 504 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
waterproofing attempts by a freq rain rider
« on: March 18, 2023, 05:07:46 PM »
I have other, cheap leather gloves I can wear in the rain - but for months now I've needed to use heated gloves for so many rides in the rain.

For my battery heated gloves I am trying these to repel water on my all too frequent rides in the rain!

I cannot tell if the Rain-X is doing anything. At least it's not making it harder to see at night in a driving rainstorm. I'm dealing with oncoming headlights in the city, and then with disappearing road shoulders out in the pitch-black boonies.
Wet streets double and triple the glare - so I'm really glad to get the city in my rear view mirrors.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: waterproofing attempts by a freq rain rider
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:49:34 PM »
Don't know if the make "Scotch Guard" any more but it has worked wonderfully keeping navigational charts dry in the humid tropics, tents absolutely water repellant and rain suits working as they should.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 03:55:34 AM »
There is no substitute for Pinlock inserts to prevent visors from fogging up. Only catch is you need a helmet that supports Pinlock-compatible visors. I've never bothered with those anti-fog sprays (e.g. Muc-off, Cat crap) again, they need frequent cleaning and reapplication.

For the repelling water outside of the visor, I have already tried RainX Plastic which is next to useless. Better off with a glass/window cleaner that has added water repellent (e.g. Invisible Glass). A clean visor repels water better. I have also tried ceramic detailing spray (e.g. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic) which works well on plastic and lasts for a week of rain.

Jackets - my current textile jacket is rated 20,000mm waterproof, still all dry in an hour of heavy rain.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »
Regarding visor cleaning in the wet, can you guys in the US get these bad boys?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Heath-Large-Opaque-Clear/dp/B006VB5JQM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1E6MPSMLTGFOB&keywords=Bob+Heath+v+wipe&qid=1679214174&sprefix=bob+heath+v+wipe%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2

Slips onto index finger of L glove and hey presto a windscreen wiper for visors!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:42:37 AM »
Best bet in N America----on hands in rain/wet----Aerostich over mitts----=work, still good feeling on controls, add some warmth.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 12:35:28 PM »
Regarding visor cleaning in the wet, can you guys in the US get these bad boys?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Heath-Large-Opaque-Clear/dp/B006VB5JQM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1E6MPSMLTGFOB&keywords=Bob+Heath+v+wipe&qid=1679214174&sprefix=bob+heath+v+wipe%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2

Slips onto index finger of L glove and hey presto a windscreen wiper for visors!

My OLYMPIA gloves have a rubber squeegee (sp?) on the back of L thumb.
I learned to stop using my palm in heavy rain, just a stroke down with my index finger over my good eye works as well......every 10>15 seconds.  (in the dark - decent vision takes more work🙂
BIG winds clear the rain, too.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 12:58:32 PM »
There is no substitute for Pinlock inserts to prevent visors from fogging up. Only catch is you need a helmet that supports Pinlock-compatible visors. I've never bothered with those anti-fog sprays (e.g. Muc-off, Cat crap) again, they need frequent cleaning and reapplication.

For the repelling water outside of the visor, I have already tried RainX Plastic which is next to useless. Better off with a glass/window cleaner that has added water repellent (e.g. Invisible Glass). A clean visor repels water better. I have also tried ceramic detailing spray (e.g. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic) which works well on plastic and lasts for a week of rain.

Jackets - my current textile jacket is rated 20,000mm waterproof, still all dry in an hour of heavy rain.
I've had a Pinlock on all my helmets. I guess I wouldn't want to ride without one - because I get plenty of fogging with them in all the temps and weather conditions I ride in the dark.
My best practice is to keep the visor cracked a fraction ......always.
And my Oxford is made out of something resembling a good shower curtain....it will never leak and let in water or coldest air
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 01:40:27 PM »
from what I read Pinlocks aren't made for night riding due to the potential increase in glare...but depending who you ask some have no problem with headlight glare while others do
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 01:55:59 PM »
from what I read Pinlocks aren't made for night riding due to the potential increase in glare...but depending who you ask some have no problem with headlight glare while others do

I have one helmet I can't use in darkness owing to the pinlock insert tint!  It's only a light smoke, but might as well be black for all the light it blocks at night.  It came with the (HJC) helmet which is why I use it.  Yes, I am that cheap!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 01:29:29 AM »
Pinlocks do increase glare because they add a layer of clear plastic which causes internal light reflections. This causes some light sources to appear twice and light rays appear around things, especially if they're bright and coming from your corner of eyesight. Easy to get used to.

But a Pinlock with a good seal to keep the fog out is invaluable for safety.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()