Author Topic: Just Picked up a GT200  (Read 1850 times)

Sparky

• View Profile
Just Picked up a GT200
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »
   My old Buddy Italia 125 suffered something of a melt-down in the mountains of New Hampshire last year.  29k kilometers of hard riding over four years finally put my poor Kermit down.  Full engine seize and wasn't able to arrange a truck to bring it back over the border to Montreal.  To be honest, I'd reached the limits of its capabilities with my tendency to go on long rides.

I was thinking of getting back into manual-transmission motorcycles.  The Suzuki TU250 would have been ideal.  Unfortunately, the price of refresher lessons and Suzuki's overpricing of said bike in my market nixed the idea.  So after a little searching I found the newest offering from Kymco Canada: the 200cc version of the People GT.  I did a little back-of-the-envelope figuring and felt I could swing it on my credit line.

Picked it up this morning on the first day of a long, hot Victoria weekend.  After 20 km of inner city riding, I've decided that this is the scooter I've been needing for a while.  Sixteen inch wheels and beefy suspension soaked up bumps that had me skittering around like a junebug to avoid on Kermit.  There's power there, as well.  I haven't tapped it--I tend to be easy on the throttle, and was getting used to the delivery--but it has more oomph.  And the big trunk on the back finally gives me a place to stick a full face helmet.

The one niggle is the weight and the current state of the engine.  The weight's considerably more than I've dealt with in a two-wheeler for a while.  I'm a packer at a warehouse.  Moving heavy pallets around is a part of the job.  But still, the GT200i is a handful to maneuver with the engine off.  The engine itself is...well, a bit of a paint mixer at idle.  Nothing I haven't dealt with before on other one lunged scoots.  Still a bit startling, though.  It smooths out past 10 or so km/h, thankfully.

Going on my first long ride through Lachine and the West Island tomorrow.    That should put some well-needed mileage in during the break-in period with varying speeds.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Re: Just Picked up a GT200
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
Congrats on the Purchase! It will be a great scoot. The 300 is a bit rough at idle as well but once under way is well mannered :)

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Kymco scooters come in a range of designs and creates for every people needs. GT200  is  very successful model of Kymco scooters. It has stylish look which is the best for young generation. 

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
Sparky,

How about an update on your GT200i please.  I've been looking at one that my dealer has - rather pricey but it feels & looks real nice.

I currently ride an 08 Burg 400, so I have plenty of power and storage capacity but I'm considering buying a lighter scooter that looks different and the GT200i fits that.

What's the top speed on it ?   I have to be able to get on the Interstates and freeways around here and cars are doing 70 MPH plus on a regular basis. 

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:44:04 AM »
you would be pushing it with a 200 cc. try a 300i dt or the exciting 300i good for eighty MPH>  I have a 300i dt. 2011 mod.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Sparky: I just sold my Suzuki TU250X a couple of months ago & purchased a Kymco GT300i. Trust me when I say, you wouldn't have been happy with the TU-250. It only has 19.3 HP, small frame & woud max out around 70. Also...I purchased the TU-250X the 1st year in came to the US & it had a retail pice of $3499.00, now it's $4099.00 That's a hefty price increase for only 3 years! Sold it for $2,000 to the dealer (trade-in) It is a "cool looking little motorcycle for sure, but not for it for the money IMHO.

I hope you have luck with you new GT200i. I wonder why Canada didn't bring-in the GT300i? I know you guys pay more for product up there,so many that had something to do with it.

Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
Welcome aboard Sparky.  You made a good choice.  Kymco did a good job designing the new People GTi bikes and you'll enjoy it even more after you've put some miles on it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()