Author Topic: kymco quality  (Read 9165 times)

junkdriver

• View Profile
kymco quality
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
I am the unhappy owner of a '07 kymco 500.  I also own a Chinese 257 linhai powered scooter.  The China one is better overall.. except ride.  The ergonomics of the kymco is terrible.  Not just my opinion but others who have ridden mine.  Annoying things like hard to read (mph) and inaccurate speedometer.  A fuel guage that has a mind of it's own,,, not real good to tell how much fuel is left.  Ya have to calculate in your head to figure when to fuel up again.  The scooter is heavy and doesn't produce good fuel milage.. tire wear (stock tires) not good either.  Parts ie: oil filter and others are way overpriced compared to even "hard to find" chinese parts.   The dealer I bought mine from is really a farm store and know nothing about scooters. 

I would not spend the money on one again,, selling in the spring for whatever I can get, then off to the Japanese scooter store.... Just tellin' like it really is with Kymco's..

TeamTEOR

• Off to The Edge Of Reality
    • View Profile
    • TeamTEOR
Re: kymco quality
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
Where do you live? How many miles have you put on your Xciting? Who was the dealer? Did you price out the K&N oil filter for the scooter? Also realize with the oil filter you change your oil less and it seems to balance out the idea of having one. Has it broken down much? It sounds as if you are just unhappy with the fit as opposed to to the overall quality of the scooter. Most scooters do not have a good fuel gauge, almost all have a speedo that are just set high (even more so with China stuff).

I'll agree with you on the fitting of the seat, but that is not so bad that a seat mod could not fix. I have started off with a backrest mod and will see after it arrives back here how and if I need to still mod the seat. For now I use a Airhawk medium seat pad, and I can ride for quite a while in comfort.

I know that I get about 50mpg on my scooter, so 150 to the tank with a pinch to spare. I just fill up after 125 miles or so since it is a little more than a 3 gallon tank.

Before you buy a Japanese bike, check how much it is to service your scooter with them and how much replacement parts are. Also, check how long their warranty is.
Riding my Xciting 500 off to The Edge Of Reality

obxbiker

• ADMIN/SITE BUILDER @ www.piwyr.co.cc
    • View Profile
    • ADMIN/SITE BUILDER
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
This just one rare unfortunate owner. By far overshadowed by the thousands of HAPPY owners.
I have 5 kymco products. Got the first one in 2003 the last in 2006 (so far) and could not be happier with the durability and reliability of them all.(3 modified SUPER9 LC's and 2 modified VENOX'es). Which is good as I live on the Outer BanX's of North Carolina and the closest place to take IF a problem is over 2 hours away.

Sorry you have had a bad experiance.

PS. Not a newbie, have ridden 2 wheels for 40 years and have owned dozen's..the Kymco's have been by far the BEST OVERALL !
Venox info @ www.piwyr.co.cc

2003 (3) Super9 LC's heavly modified........

2004 Modified Venox ''OBnoXious Nox'' ......

2006 ''Yellow NOX''.......

TeamTEOR

• Off to The Edge Of Reality
    • View Profile
    • TeamTEOR
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »
Yup I am so happy with my Agility then Xciting that I got my sister into a ZX-50. No major issues with these scoots. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to get a nice Kymco ATV.
Riding my Xciting 500 off to The Edge Of Reality

bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
  I have a 07 Xciting 500 and love it. Seat is a little hard after 1hr ride, but I already had a Airhawk seat cushion. With the Airhawk seat cushion it works better than any other stock seat I've had. I've had several Honda's and 1 Yamaha 1100. All were good bikes and so is the Xciting 500. I've ridden 4700 trouble free miles during the summer of 07. I've had more fun on this Xciting 500 than any other road bike I've owned.  I like it better than the choices Honda had, and it was $2000 less than a 580cc Silverwing.  I got a K&N 147 Oil filter at Autozone for $12. I make my own air filters from UNI foam Sheet. $7 for about 5 of them. Uni Foam is used by Motorcross Racers. These days you have to learn how to improvise, to save a few bucks! ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:11:36 PM by bond007 »
Like Steve McQueen, All I Need is a fast machine and I'm Gona be alright! Kymco Xciting 500!!

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:29:29 AM »
Hey  Junkman

First  I  dont think  you  ever  owned  a  500!!!!But  if  you  do  I  have  cash  waiting,no  need  to  wait  for  spring..SO  lets  hear  your  blow out  price  and  Im there with  $$$$  ;D You know what  they  say "money  talks  and  BUllS*it  walks" ;)

olbull
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

tony_dt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 02:32:33 AM »
Yeah, heck I will give you enough to buy one of those bad-a$$ china scooter.

junkdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
This Post in response to prior post.

Ole Bull... I do have the '07 x500.  Just got the title back from N.Y.  I said nothing about drivability and mechanics/ quality.  It is as good or who knows better than most.  My disappointment with the kymco are the annoying things I've mentioned earlier. ie: seating position, hard to read speedo and error. The exciting has less than a thousand miles.. nine hundred something.. forgotten  exactly.  I'd take 4g's in a heartbeat, I paid $5400. plus tax.  (I did pay $13 for K&N and $22 for the kymco oil filter)  The dealer told me if I didn't use the kymco brand filter, warrenty would be void.

The China scoot I have is more serviceable for me.. mainly the rider position.  Also not saying it is better.. but bang for the buck is..

I'm not sure if my email is available on this forum, if there is another post showing interest in the exciting 500.. I will post my home phone number..

bond007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
 Junkrider, yeah you got that right, Linhai is a junkrider, nothing more than Communist Chinese ripoff! I owned a Linhai once, and I spent more time working on it than riding it!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( Do you know the dealer only paid about $900 for that thing you got! How good can it be? Take your stupid opinions somewhere else, please. It is not your mission to bash Kymco. Your comments do not sound like anyone who actually owns one! Bad ergo's.  Did you forget to sit on the bike before you bought it?  I think you are some sick nut, that gets his kicks making trouble!  Go Away!!!!!!!!!   Do something constructive with your life!  Please!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:40:24 PM by bond007 »
Like Steve McQueen, All I Need is a fast machine and I'm Gona be alright! Kymco Xciting 500!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()