Author Topic: 500 uxv belt question and replacement  (Read 741 times)

smokingcrater

• View Profile
500 uxv belt question and replacement
« on: June 29, 2022, 04:15:23 AM »
So...  I've used my 500 for a ton of heavy work (pushing stuck pontoons off the beach), and I've lost a ton of low end pushing power.  I suspected the belt, and after cracking open the belt cover, the belt is running about 1/2 inch below the edge of the driven pulley.  Not sure what the specs are, but that is normally bad!

But here is where it gets interesting...  I have a new replacement belt, and holding it back to back with the original, it seems like they are identical in width.  Is the secondary adjustable?  (coming from snowmobiles, the answer is always yes, but not sure about side by sides...)   

My other question...  how in sweet jesus do you actually replace a belt on a 500??  There is zero chance of the belt cover coming off more than 2 inches or so, it runs into the fuel tank.  The fuel tank isn't removable, it is pinned by the frame.  About the only option I see is removing drive shafts, removing engine mounts, and lifting and sliding the engine over 2 inches or so.  A massive amount of work...  There has to be an easier way.

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: 500 uxv belt question and replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 07:52:13 PM »
I sent you a message
CJS

ProSup

• View Profile
Re: 500 uxv belt question and replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »
Just replaced my belt. You scan remove the fuel tank fairly easy. The frame is made to unbolt and the straps holding the tank unbolt too. You do have to remove some plastic panels and they are a pain but it’s all very doable. Drain the tank also, remove the nut on the engine shaft and slide off the outside pulley, I cleaned everything well and installed the new belt, it will be tight but you can roll it on, due to rain I haven’t done the break in procedure yet. Good luck!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()