Author Topic: no speedometer  (Read 2050 times)

nvaccariello

• View Profile
no speedometer
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
So I had a bad battery and my rpm and speedo were not working.  New battery, everything is great but my speedometer is still on working! Only goes tto about 3 Mph when I brake hard then back to zero... Any ideas!

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: no speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 01:01:49 AM »
Sounds like an "electronic glitch" (bug developed) due to the bad battery with weird voltage.

When you do the following, MAKE SURE your battery voltage is not below 12.6V and is fully charged.

Here is what "I" would do:
  • turn ignition OFF
  • disconnect positive battery cable and make sure it is not touching anything after that, and that it is "suspended in the "air"" so to speak.
  • turn the ignition ON and leave it ON! (of course, nothing happens; we are draining the system)
  • squeeze brake lever(s) for about 20 seconds
  • put positive cable over on negative cable for a few seconds (2-5 secs); this will drain every remaining Milli-volt out that is still in the system
  • suspend positive battery cable again in the air, not touching anything.
  • turn off ignition NOW; make SURE to turn off...
  • reconnect positive battery cable to battery
  • turn on ignition, let fully go though "initiation/control cycle" for its required time
  • start the engine and go for a ride; hopefully all is reset and works properly again

That's what I would do to my scoot. Let us know if it worked....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:12:00 AM by windwheeler »

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:34:31 AM »
Sounds like an "electronic glitch" (bug developed) due to the bad battery with weird voltage.

When you do the following, MAKE SURE your battery voltage is not below 12.6V and is fully charged.

Here is what "I" would do:
  • turn ignition OFF
  • disconnect positive battery cable and make sure it is not touching anything after that, and that it is "suspended in the "air"" so to speak.
  • turn the ignition ON and leave it ON! (of course, nothing happens; we are draining the system)
  • squeeze brake lever(s) for about 20 seconds
  • put positive cable over on negative cable for a few seconds (2-5 secs); this will drain every remaining Milli-volt out that is still in the system
  • suspend positive battery cable again in the air, not touching anything.
  • turn off ignition NOW; make SURE to turn off...
  • reconnect positive battery cable to battery
  • turn on ignition, let fully go though "initiation/control cycle" for its required time
  • start the engine and go for a ride; hopefully all is reset and works properly again

That's what I would do to my scoot. Let us know if it worked....

Seriously? "draining the system"? You might as well stand on your head and sing the kum-ba-ya
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:36:17 AM by souzamoto »

nvaccariello

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
I am going to attempt this after work today.  My main concern is if it continues to not work will it. Do any damage? I have a GPS speedo that works Wonderfully...just hoping it won't make something else run weirun... Thanks again!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »
Souzamoto, Windwheeler is right in my opinion. This is a "Bill Gates repair" where if it does not work, turn it off and then back on. Wind's fix is to reset the ECU and the processor in the speedo-tach unit. This worked for another rider on this forum and removes the need for the Kymco analyzer tool.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

nvaccariello

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
No go... Unfortunately did not work.  Any other suggestions would be awesome.  As long as nothing else can go wrong from that I'm cool. My GPS speedo is nice.  Thank you!

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:35 PM »
Seriously? "draining the system"? You might as well stand on your head and sing the kum-ba-ya

Draining the system "totally" (meaning ZERO voltage in the system) many times causes that  the computer which has now absolutely no "garbage information" to revert back to original Factory settings. 

So, to counter your comparison, it's a bit more than just standing on your head, its DRAINING ALL YOUR BLOOD man, and now you'r DEAD, and need to completely re-boot to come back to life, with the "makers settings"...!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:45:06 PM by windwheeler »

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:01 PM »
No go... Unfortunately did not work.  Any other suggestions would be awesome.  As long as nothing else can go wrong from that I'm cool. My GPS speedo is nice.  Thank you!

Try once more, just simply leave it disconnected from the battery over-night....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:56:13 PM by windwheeler »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()