Author Topic: anyone else's butt go numb while riding?  (Read 5130 times)

spikebites

• View Profile
anyone else's butt go numb while riding?
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
I have this problem where my butt goes numb anywhere after 20-30 miles of riding, and the only way to rectify the problem is if at a stop light I quickly stand up for a few seconds, then it goes away.  It's not just my butt.. it's my whole crotch area, and inner thighs.

I have tried placing my feet up on the upper portion of the bike, where there is a foot grip... to be honest, I have no idea why they would place that there, it is incredibly uncomfortable and it looks awkward.  I'm 5'11 and it's just weird to be riding with my feet up in that position.

What other methods are there besides having to stand up could I use to prevent or maybe avoid going numb at all?  I hate having to exit freeways for the sole purpose of un-numbing myself.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Re: anyone else's butt go numb while riding?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
While this phenomena does not strike everybody the same, it depends on the location of the individual's back and bottom nerves, and it is not only related to the DownTown. As Diamond Jim showed the Air-Hawk, there are wood-bead cushions (highly recommended in your case) and gel pad cushions that can help greatly. But again, it depends very much on the individual, and only trial and error will tell you what works best for you.

http://roadcaptainusa.com/2008/08/03/bead-rider-wooden-bead-seat-cover-for-motorcycle/

http://loopele.com/motorcycle-seat-pads/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:28:13 PM by windwheeler »

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 02:52:12 PM »
Consider a silicone pot holder from Family Dollar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
Have you modified your seat yet? I found myself getting numb before I modified my seat to allow me to actually sit with my legs fairly straight. @5'11" the downtown is a small bike for you, and if you took the bolstering out, you could actually use the "cruiser" foot spot without your knees in your chin. If I'm in it for the long haul i make sure to stick my legs down off the scooter for a minute or two every now and then to get the blood flowing, keeping your legs moving helps a lot for me.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

spikebites

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Consider a silicone pot holder from Family Dollar.

Thanks for all the replies guys..

I can vaguely see why sitting on beads would help the numbness, but what benefit does sitting on a pot holder have?  I guess I don't fully understand why this phenomenon occurs but I am willing to try anything at this point. 

I'm hoping to find some beaded seat covers at walmart or some auto shop, and then cutting out an appropriate size and testing it out before committing on purchasing a real bike cover.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:18:46 AM »
Numbness occurs by either pinching nerves, or cutting off blood flow.

The beads are supposed to massage the bottom or back and constantly move the position, thus it should (theoretically) not be able to cut one position off and should work best for you.

Not sure if car seat beads and motorcycle bead seats have the same size beads. 

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:28 AM »
I have this problem where my butt goes numb anywhere after 20-30 miles of riding...

20 to 30 miles is a pretty long distance to be in the saddle on a two wheeled vehicle.  Try any air pad.  JC Whitney sold one in the past for around $20.  Didn't look very cool but gets the job done on any two wheeler - scoot, motorcycle, etc.  Discovered years ago in my college days that if I stuck a doughnut shaped inflatable thing to to my motorcycle seat I could ride as many as 12 hours! and not get a sore butt. 

Jell does not work at all.  Only air.
PaulC

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
Another option, although a bit pricey, is to find someone that can cut the seat to your butt.  By measurements and adjusting the seat accordingly you should have little issue.

I know of only one shop in the local area (Tampa, Florida, USA) that does that sort of work....so it's not that common.  But I've known riders that have had the same issue NOT have that problem afterward. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Numbness occurs by either pinching nerves, or cutting off blood flow.

The beads are supposed to massage the bottom or back and constantly move the position, thus it should (theoretically) not be able to cut one position off and should work best for you.

Not sure if car seat beads and motorcycle bead seats have the same size beads. 
On the beaded seat of a scooter you will not become a pedestrian if you use the brakes too hard?
I know it's not a good idea to wax or oil your scooter seat so you don't slip about ....but sitting on marbles is a good idea???
Maybe I don't understand how this thing works.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Yep. 24 mins was about my normal numbing time on my LIKE seat.
The thing was an absolute killer to the tail bone. Nice looking seat - but a mean thing to sit on.
After I spent less than $100 - and more than several hours - adding 2,3,4 inches of better seating foam over the orig. seat pan and foam, I came away with a goofy looking seat that is superbly comfortable and much more supportive along the sides, with no tendancy to slide forward under braking or roll on cornering. The only time I think of the seat now is to smile at how it is so much NOT an issue any longer!

My tip would be this : add foam, test ride, add foam, test ride again. Do not worry about what it looks like - keep adding foam until the seat issue goes away over a 1/2 hr ride. Do not stop and add a cover until you are 100% happy with the comfort & support of the seat. It is too much trouble to rebuild a seat to quit when you're still not 100% OK with the feel of it!
"Sailrite" 4-way stretch vinyl is good stuff to recover your rebuilt seat with. They have a youtube to show you.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 03:44:25 AM »
On the beaded seat of a scooter you will not become a pedestrian if you use the brakes too hard?
I know it's not a good idea to wax or oil your scooter seat so you don't slip about ....but sitting on marbles is a good idea???
Maybe I don't understand how this thing works.
Stig
No problem with slipping on beads.  You need more think like iti is a "massager".

atxscooterguy

• Two Wheels is Better than Four
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
Try a hemorrhoid pillow  :o :P ::) :o
'89 Honda CBR 600
'14 Kymco Like 200i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()