Author Topic: Reduction gears  (Read 1121 times)

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
Reduction gears
« on: July 09, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if there was some kind of master list that would show the stock reduction gears for Kymco Scooters.

I am not having any luck finding out what the stock gears are for my 2015 Kymco Super 8 50R (4 stroke)
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Reduction gears
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:39:43 PM »
Why is this important? Is this question actually, "what are the part numbers for the gears in my 2015 Super 8 50R (4 stroke)?"
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:05:32 AM »
Why is this important? Is this question actually, "what are the part numbers for the gears in my 2015 Super 8 50R (4 stroke)?"

Sure.  I can't find them and the place I usually get parts from can't find them and Kymco Canada doesn't reply to customer inquiries at all.

I want to add 10% with my BBK installed now but I need to know the starting point and would like to with out having to take everything apart.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
I am a little thick....this means you want to know the ratios and center distances so you can CHANGE the overall final drive ratio up/down 10%? That what you mean?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
I am a little thick....this means you want to know the ratios and center distances so you can CHANGE the overall final drive ratio up/down 10%? That what you mean?

Change the gears to increase my top end speed.  It's usually listed something like 15/47   (small gear/big gear that turns the rear wheel)
Sometimes these are called gear up kits.  I think my issue is that my gears are a little larger than average so adding a typical 10% kit could be 20%.
Just want to make sure before I buy parts and pay for the pressing

This is the video shows what I am talking about and I added a picture

2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Is that kit in the video for a GY6 49cc or a GY6 150cc?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Is that kit in the video for a GY6 49cc or a GY6 150cc?

Great question.  This was on a Honda Ruckus.  I think he says 232cc  but could of been 72cc with an accent.
I actually emailed the gentleman about his gear up kit and have yet to get a reply.

Also Kymco Canada does not answer any questions either.  I may just have to take it apart.  Not looking forward to that.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:59 PM »
I suspect his kit is for the GY6 150cc.  Go to a parts breakdown online.  Check part #'s for the 2 stock 49cc gears vs. the part #'s for the 2 stock 150cc gears.

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
I suspect his kit is for the GY6 150cc.  Go to a parts breakdown online.  Check part #'s for the 2 stock 49cc gears vs. the part #'s for the 2 stock 150cc gears.

I have had no luck finding this information  It doesn't seem available for my scooter.  There is something mysterious to all the parts dealer when it comes to the 2015 Super 8 50R 4T.  Some weird mojo going on with this scooter.  Driving me nuts because all I am trying to do is get an extra 5km/h steady out of it.  Move the power band from 63-67 to 68-71km/h

Not asking the world but will avoid buying a 4 stroke at all cost next time now that I am informed.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »
I suspect his kit is for the GY6 150cc.  Go to a parts breakdown online. 

The Super 8 is not a gy6, it's a qmb.  There is no "parts breakdown online".  The Super 8 is a 139qmb engine and uses qmb gearsets:

http://www.scootercatalog.com/hoca-50cc-engine-gear-sets.html

Some Kymcos use a different idler gear, and you only find out by taking your gears apart and comparing to the accessory gear set.  In that case you need a set of gears from a standard qmb engine to find the needed idler gear.

You need a hydraulic press to disassemble the middle gear cluster, and to put it back together again.

All of this takes time and money. It can be done.  People with lots of time and money do this.  But it's often easier just to buy a bigger scooter.  If you decide to do this, use a motorcycle repair shop with a hydraulic press that has actually done this so you're not guessing.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
The Super 8 is not a gy6, it's a qmb.  There is no "parts breakdown online".  The Super 8 is a 139qmb engine and uses qmb gearsets:

http://www.scootercatalog.com/hoca-50cc-engine-gear-sets.html

Some Kymcos use a different idler gear, and you only find out by taking your gears apart and comparing to the accessory gear set.  In that case you need a set of gears from a standard qmb engine to find the needed idler gear.

You need a hydraulic press to disassemble the middle gear cluster, and to put it back together again.

All of this takes time and money. It can be done.  People with lots of time and money do this.  But it's often easier just to buy a bigger scooter.  If you decide to do this, use a motorcycle repair shop with a hydraulic press that has actually done this so you're not guessing.
The video shows the hydraulic press as part of the process.  But I believe the video is of a larger displacement scooter and doubt the gears are the same as this Kymco being discussed.  The stock Kymco gears appear to be items 4 and 6 in this online breakdown  https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/50-SCOOTER/SUPER/SUPER_8_50_4T_EURO_II/TRANSMISSION/114/32/0/114

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »
Gear set #4 in the illustration is actually two gears pressed together with the hydraulic press.  The larger one is the stock gear, and the smaller is the new gear.  But the large Kymco gear doesn't always match the small new gear so you have to find a standard Chinese qmb gear to replace the Kymco gear.  You may be lucky and everything fits, or you may not be so lucky and then have to search out a qmb replacement.  You won't know until you take it apart and press the gear set apart. I suspect Kymco purposely makes it difficult so that owners don't mess with the innards.

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
Great question.  This was on a Honda Ruckus.  I think he says 232cc  but could of been 72cc with an accent.
I actually emailed the gentleman about his gear up kit and have yet to get a reply.

Also Kymco Canada does not answer any questions either.  I may just have to take it apart.  Not looking forward to that.

Alymer - Kymco Canada is running into distributor problems (i.e. the previous distributor doesn't want to carry Kymco anymore).  See this: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=27637.0

2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Gear set #4 in the illustration is actually two gears pressed together with the hydraulic press. 

Yes,  It's explained and demonstrated in Aylmer's video link.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()