Author Topic: 2007 People 2T with 600 miles  (Read 6351 times)

mclark999

• View Profile
2007 People 2T with 600 miles
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »
I bought a 2007 People a few weeks ago with just 1000km on it.  When I went to test ride it the battery was dead from sitting over the winter. The seller put a new battery on it and it started right up and ran fine for a short test ride. I bought it.

I drove it about 10 miles home and it ran fan running up to 50 mph on the speedo going down small hills and overall seemed fine.

The next morning it started right up but when I gave it throttle, it died.  Did this several times and I put it away and took my car.  I read through a bunch of posts and found that if I put my hand over the snorkel/air intake I could get it to run and drive.  It does die sometimes when it's cold and I have to do the same thing all over.

I also added a couple ounces of Seafoam to the gas in case the gas had been sitting in it all winter and things got gunked up.

I tried the 1/4 turn of the air screw and that made things worse. Put it back to where it was.  I've kept riding it and have put a couple hundred miles on it.

Still has the cold start problem and now once it warms up it only seems to be running at about half power under full throttle. It just pulls slowly up to speed but doesn't go over about 30 mph. Definitely not running at full power.  When it's cold, it does give full power.

I checked the spark plug wires. They look like new - the scooter is basically an almost new 8 year old bike. It was stored inside and all the rubber parts look great.

I'm guessing that because it sat a lot and was hardly used that the carb or fuel filters are gummed up.  I did put the Seafoam in about half a tank ago.  Don't know whether to keep riding it and hope the Seafoam eventually works or start taking things apart and cleaning them.

Thought I'd start with the fuel filter first and then move to the carb if that doesn't work.  I can't seem to find a definitive answer on here if there is a fuel screen in the tank before the main fuel filter/auto cock. Does anyone know for sure if there is and if so how to clean or replace it?

Any other ideas?
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
Re: 2007 People 2T with 600 miles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »
Discovered today that it runs fine with a full tank of gas and was not with an almost empty tank.  Leads me to believe the fuel filter is clogged.  I'm going to take the filter out and see what it looks like next time my tank is low.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:33:55 PM »
Id look after the fuel petcock and clean fuel tank and carb.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920I mediante Tapatalk

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
There's no fuel filter on your scooter. Only the autochoke mechanism or fuel petcock (if you installed it).
Mine does run a little worse on a nearly empty gas tank too (especially when riding uphill) and I think it's a common thing, nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:39:04 AM by gosku »
Kymco People S 50 2T 2008
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi torsion controller 2512828
Malossi rollers 7g
Michelin City Grip front + Heidenau K66 rear

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
100% carb clean symptoms. Sitting over the winter, stalling when you give it gas. Get that carb out and clean the idle jet with a very small wire. There IS a fuel filter on the 49cc 2t Kymcos!!!! On the people 50 it is actually attached to the plastic petcock assembly and it is notorious for issues on the People 50, paper filter and when it gets hot it can stop flowing. I install high flow mesh filters on any people 50 that has the oem filter still.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
There IS a fuel filter on the 49cc 2t Kymcos!!!! On the people 50 it is actually attached to the plastic petcock assembly and it is notorious for issues on the People 50,

Damn! Is it on the People S models too? I looked for it on mine and searched the spare parts book and couldn't find it  :-[
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Check your plug, you may be running lean. I had a very similar experience.

4 weeks ago, I bought a 2002 People 50 with 1500 km's on the clock. It was still restricted. I derestricted it - variator pin, CDI box with no rev limiter, and the aribox had no filter in it.

My scooter ran absolutely perfectly until I did the derestriction thing this past week. After that, with the new found top end speed (went from 26 mph to 38 mph), it still ran excellently, but I proceeded to do a 10 minute trip at 38 mph, which is essentially wide open throttle the whole time.

There were no indications anything was wrong - until I tried to start it up later. It was just as you described: it barely got started, idled roughly, and the slightest throttle would kill the engine. I eventually got it running smoothly again, and psychologically I blew the episode off as a fluke. I then proceeded to do another 10 minute WOT run, and the entire episode repeated. At that point I suspected the air/fuel mixture, and pulled the plug. Mine was bone white.

I pulled the carb and pulled the main jet, and mine is a #78. I now have a kit on order. You might want to check your plug too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:24:32 PM by Bravin Neff »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »
Check your plug, you may be running lean. I had a very similar experience.

4 weeks ago, I bought a 2002 People 50 with 1500 km's on the clock. It was still restricted. I derestricted it - variator pin, CDI box with no rev limiter, and the aribox had no filter in it.

My scooter ran absolutely perfectly until I did the derestriction thing this past week. After that, with the new found top end speed (went from 26 mph to 38 mph), it still ran excellently, but I proceeded to do a 10 minute trip at 38 mph, which is essentially wide open throttle the whole time.

There were no indications anything was wrong - until I tried to start it up later. It was just as you described: it barely got started, idled roughly, and the slightest throttle would kill the engine. I eventually got it running smoothly again, and psychologically I blew the episode off as a fluke. I then proceeded to do another 10 minute WOT run, and the entire episode repeated. At that point I suspected the air/fuel mixture, and pulled the plug. Mine was bone white.

I pulled the carb and pulled the main jet, and mine is a #78. I now have a kit on order. You might want to check your plug too.

Part of derestriction is installing a #82 main jet.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »
Damn! Is it on the People S models too? I looked for it on mine and searched the spare parts book and couldn't find it  :-[

The s filter is actually built onto the petcock, on top of it is a little mesh screen. Pretty good design and unless your bike has seen really nasty gas it should be aok.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:43 AM »
The s filter is actually built onto the petcock, on top of it is a little mesh screen. Pretty good design and unless your bike has seen really nasty gas it should be aok.

Checked the filter in the petcock. It was fine, nothing in it and fuel is flowing strong into the carb.

I also checked the spark plug to see if it was fouled and for rich/lean condition.  It's a pretty good tan/brown. Could be slightly rich.

So I guess I'll need to take the carb off and clean it out. Probably just varnished up a little.  More to come.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

gosku

• Start me up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »

Oh! Good to know that it exists  ;D
Tecnigas Next-R Pipe
Malossi rollers 7g

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
Where is a good place to buy a jet kit from?  I'm going to put a Tecnigas pipe on it pretty soon so I might as well buy a kit.  How big will I need to go above the 82?

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:33 AM »
The attached photo is the jet the 2T People carb needs. Many places sell them, including the jetsrus business in the watermark, just make sure you get the correct dimensions.

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »
...except there is no such thread as an M3.9. The picture should say M4 x 0.7 -- but you can be sure that if the jet you are contemplating buying has the 5mm and 7mm dimensions correct, the M4 thread will be a given.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »
I put a new spark plug in it and it helped it run just a tiny bit better.  Did the plug chop exercise and the plug is absolutely white. It's pretty lean.  Will take the carb apart and clean it and try again.  If that doesn't work, I'll get a bigger jet.

Funny, I live in Denver and would have expected it to be rich if anything, but the symptoms pointed to lean.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()