Author Topic: Join the club  (Read 6033 times)

Ernst

• View Profile
Join the club
« on: June 22, 2020, 04:40:49 AM »
 I managed to buy a low mileage Myroad 700i from Ebay Motors at a total cost of what a new 300 out the door would cost.
 I feel lucky. I am also a heavy set man so this is a good fit for me.

I thought to say hello here and since this scooter has 1900 miles on it I also figured I can learn from those riding their Myroad longer.

So hello!

Ernst

• View Profile
Re: Join the club
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 11:08:51 PM »
Well, this may be a blog if I am the only one but, sharing experiences seems to be a positive.
 I am impressed with how little throttle it takes to reach street speeds of 35 mph. On the other hand the cooling fan does come on a bit because of the in city stop light to stop light reality.
 I also am getting to know the engine. Although the temperature gauge won't show anything when first starting up, I can hear and feel when the coolant starts to flow during warm up.

I am also pleased with the "lean and turn" so far.  Honestly it will take a while before I try some high speed curves. I'm cautious for sure but I truly love a hard and accelerating lean during a curve. It just looks so cool when I can get that lean and accelerate.  So far the 700i feels trustworthy so I figure I will be trying that by Christmas.  It is true that we sit a bit forward on the 700i but that seems to be just right weight wise.

I got a Temp operations permit today. Got to have a VIN review by Highway Patrol because they couldn't find the federal sticker on the scooter but at least I can take a long ride this weekend.
 I am thinking about the foot hills. Lots of curves and open roads right on up to lakes and rivers.
 If it sounds a bit romantic, man and machine, then you are right ;D

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
Don't be disappointed or disappearing if it seems you are writing to yourself! There are not that many of us that even know what that machine is! Since there are probably many of those 700i rigs out there underutilized waiting for new owners who will actually RIDE them and at stupid low prices! You will be the pioneer in acquainting us to the features and building interest. So, write on! We are reading!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:41:37 AM »
Thank You CrossBolt.
 I am new to this community so I am learning the mores.

Yeah, Well, for the price of a new 2020 300cc, I did get this 700i. So yeah you are right, crazy low prices if you find one.
 From what I understand this was a well to do owner that traded it in on a Kymco side X side because he wanted to do more hunting on his land. Go figure. 1900 miles on it in about 4 years.
 I agree with you that there are a lot of 700is' out there that will be for sale. I have spent hours fantasy shopping for a Myroad and I watched dealers sell off their stock. So that seems to be at an end but private sales seem to be the next craze. 
 Check CycleTrader and the ilk, friends. Google searches, Craigslist and "wherever you can search" makes a difference. I learned about my Myroad on an obscure website. Again from a Google search of fantasy shopping for a Myroad.
 This one was an Ebay Motors auction. The auction price plus coast to coast shipping, DMV taxes, fees and insurance is right at about the cost of a local new 2020 300cc Kymco. So deals are out there!
 About Ebay bidding, wait for the last 30 seconds to up-bid. I waited for the last 15 seconds and had to up-bid $450 to win. I can really type fast! The point is to not give the other bidders any notification that the bid has been increased until the auction is over. Play Mean to win! In the end the high bidder lost by $50.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:18:52 AM »
Just had to google this one!  Don’t think Kymco ever brought this model to UK shores. Looks a beast of a scoot. Would love to ride one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 12:02:47 PM »
Just had to google this one!  Don’t think Kymco ever brought this model to UK shores. Looks a beast of a scoot. Would love to ride one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I too looked to Google and you are right Kymco never sold this scoot in U.K. Why I wonder?

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
I can only guess that would be because big cc scoots (excepting Burgmen etc.) are not major sellers here?  That said Honda seem to be doing OK with their X-ADV750 since its launch...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 05:18:51 PM »
The reason Kymco brought the MyRoad to the US was mostly a market ploy. It allowed Kymco US to tout that they had the largest cc scoot in the market. Only 200 or so were brought in, one year only. $10K, many consumers balked as did dealers. Lot's of incentive were put on the bike along with long flooring terms for the dealers. It's a cool scoot but big and a bit top heavy but, excelent for long distance touring. BMW used the power train in their C series scoots.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 12:33:31 AM »
Thank You CrossBolt.
 I am new to this community so I am learning the mores.

Yeah, Well, for the price of a new 2020 300cc, I did get this 700i. So yeah you are right, crazy low prices if you find one.
 From what I understand this was a well to do owner that traded it in on a Kymco side X side because he wanted to do more hunting on his land. Go figure. 1900 miles on it in about 4 years.
 I agree with you that there are a lot of 700is' out there that will be for sale. I have spent hours fantasy shopping for a Myroad and I watched dealers sell off their stock. So that seems to be at an end but private sales seem to be the next craze. 
 Check CycleTrader and the ilk, friends. Google searches, Craigslist and "wherever you can search" makes a difference. I learned about my Myroad on an obscure website. Again from a Google search of fantasy shopping for a Myroad.
 This one was an Ebay Motors auction. The auction price plus coast to coast shipping, DMV taxes, fees and insurance is right at about the cost of a local new 2020 300cc Kymco. So deals are out there!
 About Ebay bidding, wait for the last 30 seconds to up-bid. I waited for the last 15 seconds and had to up-bid $450 to win. I can really type fast! The point is to not give the other bidders any notification that the bid has been increased until the auction is over. Play Mean to win! In the end the high bidder lost by $50.

Haven't  bid on ebay in years.
But, for @ $.20 each, I subscribed to a site that guaranteed to place my bid on the item in the final 8 seconds. Probably sites like that still out there.
Not popular with other bidders - because you will, at least, increase their price by a lot when they thought they were getting a steal.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 03:22:17 AM »
For 30 cents last bid in 7.5 seconds:) The apps start bidding for first place.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:55 AM »
I can only guess that would be because big cc scoots (excepting Burgmen etc.) are not major sellers here?  That said Honda seem to be doing OK with their X-ADV750 since its launch...
The Burgman has a lot of perks and a price to match but didn't they stop selling new ones after 2018?

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 06:40:53 AM »
Haven't  bid on ebay in years.
But, for @ $.20 each, I subscribed to a site that guaranteed to place my bid on the item in the final 8 seconds. Probably sites like that still out there.
Not popular with other bidders - because you will, at least, increase their price by a lot when they thought they were getting a steal.
Stig

Also

Posted by: TBR125
« on: Today at 08:22:17 PM »

Insert Quote

For 30 cents last bid in 7.5 seconds:) The apps start bidding for first place.

I did not know there were sites/apps but I did learn about last second bidding the hard way... Sitting and grinning about my high bid until the auction was over and I had lost.
 Also from my experience on "Ebay Motors" auctions, is that a minimum up-bid is $50. We are talking thousands of dollars for cars and such.
Still bidding and buying sight unseen is not a comfortable thing. I felt good about bidding on this 700i because of all the hours studying the 700i, because of my fantasy shopping for a 700i. I encourage people to research and be informed so they can make a good decision if they are going to bid on Ebay motors.
 Ebay doesn't handle the full amount of the sales money so you end up sending money to seller outside of Ebay proper. It is a risk so do be schooled on what you are buying and what you are paying for vehicle, taxes and shipping.
 In this case it looks like it was an excellent purchase ( new scooter smell included ) *IF* the CHP clears it as not stolen (OMG) There is no Federal Sticker DMV says so this story still could turn to horror. Watch this space!
 Don't worry this seller is the actual Kymco Dealer for that area who first sold it and then resold it on Ebay Motors after it became a trade in.  Or so I am told :|
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:59:19 AM by Ernst »

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:38 AM »
The reason Kymco brought the MyRoad to the US was mostly a market ploy. It allowed Kymco US to tout that they had the largest cc scoot in the market. Only 200 or so were brought in, one year only. $10K, many consumers balked as did dealers. Lot's of incentive were put on the bike along with long flooring terms for the dealers. It's a cool scoot but big and a bit top heavy but, excellent for long distance touring. BMW used the power train in their C series scoots.
Only 200? Seriously?
Then this is a unique machine.
Just think I am going to ride it for transportation year round.
:)

About BMW using the power-train : It does sound like the BMW scooter I saw last year. Also isn't BMW the only one making Maxi-Scooters in 2020?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:08:06 AM by Ernst »

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 11:49:25 PM »
 I managed an actual ride today. Out into the country. Out on the roads with plenty of curves.
 I noticed that accelerating to 50 mph and staying at about 4100 rpm that the CVT actually added another 10 mph without any more rpm cost after a few seconds. I think that is where the saving gas lives. Let the CVT do it's thing.
 Once I was out of the city and on a long stretch of straight road I opened it up. I was cruising at 60 mph when I gave it some gas and it smoothly accelerated to 90 mph. I believe the rpms were at 6000 for 90 mph but I chickened out when things got a bit blurry to me above 90. I am sure it will go faster then that but will I?
Lots of curves to get comfortable on this Myroad, Sunshine, the smell of country, the wind and sun.
 This ride ended up at a fishing access park by the Stanislaus river about 40 miles from here. I spent about an hour at the river. Very relaxing.
   I am a very heavy rider. The Myroad is smooth in the curves. I don't feel off balance at all. I am still conservative on the lean but safety first I say.
 One negative thing is do not coast down hill with the CVT disengaged because giving it some gas and engaging the CVT after coasting to 20-30 mph is hard on the CVT. There was road construction and a steep grade downhill after a dead stop and wait for the flagman to let us go. The CVT hit hard when I gave it some gas. So keep it engaged.
 With my People S 250 I had given up on long trips just for fun but with a Myroad that has changed.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »
Sounds like a great outing. Glad you’re enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()