Author Topic: Burgman 650 versus MyRoad 700  (Read 4280 times)

Tony3

• View Profile
Burgman 650 versus MyRoad 700
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:09:03 AM »
From past posts it appears that there are some folks that have owned both maxi scooters.  I owned a 2008 Burgman 650 many years ago but time dims the memory.  In the standard mode (i didn't like the power mode ride) what bike do you feel was quicker?  I am still breaking in the big Kymco so I'm going a bit easy on her for now.  I do remember the Burgman surprising MANY motorcycle riders  :) . . .  I kinda missed the Burgy and this was the reasoning of buying the MyRoad.  Thank you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Burgman 650 versus MyRoad 700
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »
The good news in that your 700 is not a throw-away when it comes time for CVT servicing. The big Burgman seems to have a very finite life span....when the CVT goes....you sell it for parts.....after spending $11, 000+ OTD !
KYMCO seems a better decision.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tony3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:38:51 PM »
I agree with you to a degree.  As much as I loved the Burgy when I had one, when I was looking to purchase another B-I-G Maxi, it wasn't between the Burgman 650 and the MyRoad.  It was between the Honda near 600cc Silverwing and the MyRoad. 
However, I was wondering if that same CVT transmission on the Burgman made it a faster scoot than the MyRoad as I have not seen any 0-60 MPH or quarter mile times on the Kymco.   Going by memory, the Burgman flew ...

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
I don't have any numbers to say but the Burgmans wet clutch hooks up faster with less slippage off the line vs the dry clutch on the MyRoad. Off the line feels pretty good compared to the Burgman. At speed there's no doubt that the Burgman is faster in passing with the wonderful electronic CVT. In Power mode the Burgman is even more impressive. On the MyRoad I sometimes look for the Power button at times either for faster passing or for engine braking slowing down.

I'm not one with a throw away mentality and I am capable of doing my own repairs. I love my '03 Burgman 650 despite having a fairly expensive CVT failure at only 26,000 miles. Fortunately I waited long enough to repair it that upgraded parts became available (the Polish adapter and Suzuki's updated primary pulley assembly). I have since ridden the bike up to 43,000 miles and continue to ride her in between my other vehicles. My '09 has had no issues but I have stopped riding it as I would also like to upgrade the primary pulley assembly in it, she currently sits with just over 22,000 miles on her.

It's quite interesting the things that are the same between the two and yet what's different. The MyRoad and Burgman 650 share the same size tires and type/size spark plugs. That makes carrying some maintenance parts a bit easier for me with these bikes. Different between them is ergonomics, Suzuki knows all about this and it seems Kymco knows nothing about it. One major issue on the MyRoad is the seat shape and placement of the rider. This should be nothing new to Kymco as nearly every review I have ever read complained about the seating and mind you this bike has been around since 2008 yet they have done nothing about it. It's the single biggest change they could make to improve the bike. A couple of other things I've noticed are what I feel is excessive effort for the use of the brakes to stop the bike and the brake levers only have 4 adjustment positions where they do not feel close enough for me (the Burgman has 6 positions). Fortunately I found the Dimotiv brake levers which change the leverage point reducing the effort to pull in the brakes and have 6 position adjustability. The handle bars are a bit odd as they have less sweep (more like a 50cc scooter than a maxi scoot) than the Burgmans. At some future point I may do something about the sweep. The under seat storage is quite a bit smaller compared to the Burgman. The fuel tank is smaller and requires premium fuel.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
Can't be too many who own both of these big scooters.
Thanks for the comparison review!
 As for the ergonomics. ...makes me wonder if the 700 is aimed more towards the smaller Asian and European riders?...markets where scooter riders have less $$ for their transportation budget.
Still....the 700 is anything but thrifty transportation in any market...being a flagship model.
Perhaps if Kymco sold 700s at the rate Suzuki sells the 650s in N America. ....they'd be more responsive to customer feedback?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tony3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:07:13 AM »
Yep, it's just not me then.  When I hit the throttle at 35 to 65 MPH at about 5500 RPM it felt a lot slower than the Burgman as I remember.  What is the fastest you've gone on the Kymco 700?  A friend of mine had my old Burgman at 105MPH and he said he still had some throttle. BTW - MJR,  thanks for the info. on the 700 aftermarket windshield.  I'll have it installed when I have my first service.  You're correct regarding the 700 seat.  I'm only 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam and barely fit.  For seat comfort, my People 300 is worse yet - Lol - honest.  It's a big seat but r-e-a-l-l-y  :(  pushes you forward with an odd shape and hard . . .  Leg room however is very good. The People 300 power to weight 29 HP / 364 pounds is good and it's quick.  I feel lucky / blessed to have both bikes.     

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
As for the ergonomics. ...makes me wonder if the 700 is aimed more towards the smaller Asian and European riders.

The seating area is wide yet high for a longer inseam than 30" (I can't get both feet flat on the ground) and yet the riding position is scrunched up like a 50cc scooter. If I didn't have a gut it might not bother me so much but a stretched out position would be more comfortable for nearly everyone.

Yep, it's just not me then.  When I hit the throttle at 35 to 65 MPH at about 5500 RPM it felt a lot slower than the Burgman as I remember.  What is the fastest you've gone on the Kymco 700?  A friend of mine had my old Burgman at 105MPH and he said he still had some throttle. BTW - MJR,  thanks for the info. on the 700 aftermarket windshield.  I'll have it installed when I have my first service.  You're correct regarding the 700 seat.  I'm only 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam and barely fit.  For seat comfort, my People 300 is worse yet - Lol - honest.  It's a big seat but r-e-a-l-l-y  :(  pushes you forward with an odd shape and hard . . .  Leg room however is very good. The People 300 power to weight 29 HP / 364 pounds is good and it's quick.  I feel lucky / blessed to have both bikes.   

The MyRoad needs it's first service now so I rode the Burgman in today. I think the Burgman is faster off the line (Normal not Power mode) but not as powerful accelerating from a stop once moving as the MyRoad. Since the Burgman can down shift as throttle is applied it's better in passing situations. Some of these things I hope to deal with at a later date with a Dr Pulley HiT clutch and some 29-30 gram slider weights. I've had the bike up to 100 indicated (haven't checked accuracy of the speedo with a GPS yet). Welcome on the wind screen, I've been looking around at the very limited selection of things available for the MyRoad. When you get it and on let me know how it does. I think the 10" taller wind screen might be a bit much as the air hits my helmet just above the visor so I eith could buy one and cut it down or have them make it a shorter height. I'm about the same but the stock Burgman seat and position is far better. I like the MyRoad because it's different, styling wise I liken it to a Judge Dredd scooter and its better looking than the BMW ones.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Tony3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »
MJR - I agree, I think the MyRoad IS different and a great looking scoot.  It seems to draw people to it - my Burgman in Gold never did.  I ride with some BIG motorcycles including 3 being over 1700cc ( 2 Victory's and an Indian ).  It stays with them at sane speeds.  The one advantage with the scoot as they have to throttle down, clutch and shift  No throttle down for me. 
I will let you know about the windshield for sure.  For interstate at 75 to 80 mph I think (hope) the 29" will be perfect.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
I will let you know about the windshield for sure.  For interstate at 75 to 80 mph I think (hope) the 29" will be perfect.

I figured where the wind hits my helmet another 5" over stock would be fine so 10" ought to more than do it. I need to get around to the first service on mine tonight.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()