Author Topic: Ducati - End of an era?  (Read 396 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Ducati - End of an era?
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:06:06 AM »
So are Ducati now dropping their (in)famous desmodromic valve system?...
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wsbk/michael-ruben-rinaldi-joins-factory-ducati-worldsbk-team/

PS also spotted on the banner to this article that Valentino Rossi #46 wasn’t quick enough to outrun Covid-19, he’s tested positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:09:59 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Ducati - End of an era?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »
The first time I really became aware of Ducatis was when a friend of a friend bought a 749 new.

I was alarmed when he started it up though - it sounded like a box of spanners being rattled around. He said that was normal.

And for such an expensive bike, the finish was really poor. You wouldn't dream of taking it out in any kind of British winters day. You'd end up with a pile of rust in your garage.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »
I know.  I recall touring Europe with a mate on his Duke 851 with a dry clutch and open Termignonis; I was on a Triumph Sprint.  One old boy at a French B&B we stayed at in Le Mans (long story) came out to look at the bikes and his verdict?  On the Triumph "Formidable"  and the Ducati?  "Ah Ducati... tres fragile!"
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
My local everything dealer has a large Ducati display which you have to walk through to enter the large showroom.
They are impressive looking machines....and most are the proper motorcycle color - Red!
I guess I should be less concerned that they can properly service my Kymco (which they also sell) - if they can service these Ducatis.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 06:00:42 PM »
I don't see anything in the linked story about Ducati dropping the Desmo System. I've had my 91 851 Superbike since new. The desmo can be a challenge to check and adjust and requires special tools but they rarely go out of adjustment after the first 3k miles. Mine has spent most of it's life in the 8 to 10k RPM range on various tracks. The dry clutch is responsible for the rattle, mine is fairly quiet even with the carbon fiber half cover on.
(Note; Just googled, they are going to a traditional system on the V4 engine for one application.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:37:53 PM by souzamoto »

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
Sorry Chris, this was the text!

After a bit of teasing, we finally get to know the details of Ducati’s newest engine, the V4 Granturismo. This is the four-cylinder motor that will power the new and upcoming Ducati Multistrada V4 motorcycle.

The engine is based off the Desmosedici Stradale motor that is found in the Panigale V4 and Streetfighter V4 motorcycles, but with some obvious and core changes to suit it for touring and ADV riding uses.

Perhaps the headline feature of the V4 Granturismo engine is its long service intervals (60,000 km, quoted by Ducati), which is due in large part to the touring-focused motor using a spring-valve system, rather than the typical desmodromic system that Ducati is so famous for utilizing.

To help tackle the seismic move for the Italian brand, they say that the lessons learned from perfecting the desmodromic valvetrain allowed Ducati to make a spring-valve system that could go for such a long duration without adjustment (about 50% farther than the circumference of the Earth).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
As high mileage rider in the past, Paying for expensive valve adjustment  just didn't make sense----and the rattle of the dry clutch-----but one of the finest bikes I ever rode---friend's GT750, bevel drive in Japan, really handled and felt nice----but very practical?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()