Author Topic: Long (for me) Ride  (Read 123 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Long (for me) Ride
« on: April 24, 2024, 01:19:15 PM »
Needed a small part for our new car and the store that had it was an hour & a half away in the Derbyshire Dales* so I thought "what the heck" no rain forecast, I'll take the scooter through all that lovely countryside.

Now this was my first long ride this year and I suppose in my head I'm thinking sunshine, dry roads and bends (curves) aplenty.  All that was true, but what wasn't in the mix in my head was showers and 6C (42F) temperatures.  By mile 40 I was freezing, even with the heated grips on.  Still enjoying the ride, but I can't say it was close to perfect until the return leg hit 8 or 9C and the sun finally came out.  All in all I did 108 miles door to door and saw some amazing countryside, took in the smells and loved seeing the buzzards wheeling overhead.

But, man did my shoulders ache last night.  When this first afflicted me some 20-odd years ago, I finally realised it was brought on by me tensing up on the bike so next time out that's something I need to concentrate on again.  Funny thing is, despite the ride being sub-optimal in terms of comfort, it definitely rekindled my love for two wheels over longer distances, so I'm already looking forward to a couple of charity rides that I've got lined up.

And the DTX360?  Faultless, it never missed a beat and better yet?  The seat is way more comfortable than my old X-Town 300!

* For our UK Forumisti, Matlock next to Matlock Bath
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Long (for me) Ride
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 09:05:36 PM »
   Neil 9551

I can sympathize with you. I just traded my X-Town 300i in for a much smaller People S 150i ABS, and it was a similar situation. The dealer I bought from is about 150 miles from me. I was so excited to get my new scooter that I decided to go pick it up in March. The temps ranged from about 38F to 50F. I rode about 310 miles that day. Half on the X-Town down and on the People coming home. I just turned 80 and will definitely not be riding below 50F anymore. I do the same thing and tense up, especially when it's cold. It makes for a very uncomfortable ride.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 08:29:44 AM »
Thanks Mike, just curious, how comfortable / uncomfortable did you find the seat on the X-Town?  For me after about 70 miles I'd have to stop and restore the circulation in my backside!  This new scooter seems like it would go a full tankful without feeling too tortuous  ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 12:10:45 PM »
   Neill551

To be perfectly honest with you the only time I took a longer ride on my X-Town was in March when I rode it 150 miles to trade it in. I was so cold and tensed up by then I didn't pay attention to anything else. The one thing I would have liked though, would be moving the raised portion of the seat back about 4 or 5 inches. At 5'10" that would let me ride a little further back and my legs would have been more comfortable.

Mrmike
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 01:28:32 PM »

But, man did my shoulders ache last night.  When this first afflicted me some 20-odd years ago, I finally realised it was brought on by me tensing up on the bike so next time out that's something I need to concentrate on again.

OK this morning was only a quick 20-miler, but the temperatures were similar and so I concentrated on relaxing my shoulders more and holding the bars more loosely.  Result?  Not a sign of an ache.  Funny how we have to remind ourselves about the basics from time to time.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 01:51:27 PM »
Yeah, I pay a close eye to the expected temps just before sunrise the next morning for my ride...(and it often cools a few degrees more just at sunrise!)
I'll charge up my battery heated gloves and wear them to start then toss them under the seat for normal leather gloves if it warms enough.
Years ago my year around scooter riding was painful in the winter. I was good for maybe 30 mins - then had to stop and heat my hands and the leather gloves on the muffler!

Love my battery gloves - I can ride without thinking about my hands. My rides are @ 70 to 80 miles. Not long enough to feel any discomfort anywhere!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()