Author Topic: Riding!  (Read 2826 times)

kaktuschick

• View Profile
Riding!
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Good morning, all, my name is Susie. I live in the desert in Arizona. I was TERRIFIED of motorcycles, scooters and the like. About 2 years ago, I inherited a Kymco People s200 from my dad, who passed away. It sat in his garage until last june (2014). None of my kids wanted to mess with it so I decided to get it running so I could take little rides on it to a nearby store. I live in the boonies, so I thought it'd be a fun thing to do from time to time.
I knew NOTHING about scooters. I thought they were just little motorcycles that maybe went 25 mph. NO clue. ha ha. So I had my son have a look at it and he put in a new battery and told me it fired right up. So I came and got it and he showed me how to ride it. I rode it (fifteen miles home) VERY slow, with my daughter following me in her car. I was terrified! I started taking it on 'long' rides, lol, about four miles. I thought I was doing great. So I decided to get my permit so I could try taking it farther. Once I had done that,  I took it about seven miles. I thought I was wonder woman! I got braver and braver.
Then one day, I just said "f" it and jumped on it and rode, alone, 40 miles to a nearby town just north of me (Wickenburg, AZ). WOW! I was HOOKED! I started riding it EVERYWHERE! I have a 2013 mustang that just SITS in my carport now because I choose my scooter over that every time!
My husband and I rode up Highway 89a, all the way to Jerome, then back to Prescott valley and up to Ashfork, to Seligman, camped on the side of the road and the next morning we went down the 66 to Kingman, then down the 93 to Wickenburg and then home. He rides his Hyosung motorcycle and I ride my scooter. What a pair we are!
Anyway, I'm glad this forum exists. It's VERY informative!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Riding!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
Contrasts on breaking past the first fears of riding!! My girlfriend has an S200 and my cousin too, great scooters, one of the best "200" Kymco ever imported. Hers has over 20,000 miles and his is over 30,000!!!! Enjoy riding and stay safe.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm working on getting my girlfriend to try riding next year.  I am going to start her with my 50cc, and if she likes it I will start teaching her on one of my 250's (probably the Hyosung, not my Kymco).  I may have her read your story, I think that it may inspire her.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
50CC is best to start. Not really enough power to die.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

kaktuschick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome!!
 Arcanum70, I really was terrified. I'd ridden a few mini bikes and quads and such, and have ridden as a passenger once or twice on a motorcycle and have wrecked about five times-nothing major, just enough to scare me into not riding again. So I went DECADES without riding any such thing. But getting on this scooter, I felt good because it was SO EASY! I didn't have to shift gears-I didn't really have to think much at all. Just go and stop. And I started out very slowly. I hope you can get your girlfriend to try it, it's such a joy to ride!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Good morning, all, my name is Susie. I live in the desert in Arizona. I was TERRIFIED of motorcycles, scooters and the like. About 2 years ago, I inherited a Kymco People s200 from my dad, who passed away. It sat in his garage until last june (2014). None of my kids wanted to mess with it so I decided to get it running so I could take little rides on it to a nearby store. I live in the boonies, so I thought it'd be a fun thing to do from time to time.
I knew NOTHING about scooters. I thought they were just little motorcycles that maybe went 25 mph. NO clue. ha ha. So I had my son have a look at it and he put in a new battery and told me it fired right up. So I came and got it and he showed me how to ride it. I rode it (fifteen miles home) VERY slow, with my daughter following me in her car. I was terrified! I started taking it on 'long' rides, lol, about four miles. I thought I was doing great. So I decided to get my permit so I could try taking it farther. Once I had done that,  I took it about seven miles. I thought I was wonder woman! I got braver and braver.
Then one day, I just said "f" it and jumped on it and rode, alone, 40 miles to a nearby town just north of me (Wickenburg, AZ). WOW! I was HOOKED! I started riding it EVERYWHERE! I have a 2013 mustang that just SITS in my carport now because I choose my scooter over that every time!
My husband and I rode up Highway 89a, all the way to Jerome, then back to Prescott valley and up to Ashfork, to Seligman, camped on the side of the road and the next morning we went down the 66 to Kingman, then down the 93 to Wickenburg and then home. He rides his Hyosung motorcycle and I ride my scooter. What a pair we are!
Anyway, I'm glad this forum exists. It's VERY informative!

Welcome to the forum fellow 200s owner! What a great story, I'm sure your Dad is looking down with a smile that you are taking care of his scoot. What a blast you must be having. Keep up with the stories, I'm sure we'd all love to read about your little adventures.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
ARE YOU STILL RIDING
ALL STOCK

kaktuschick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
MOST definitely!!! I am HOOKED! Have been all over the place here in AZ. Rode to Lake Havasu, went down the 66 from Needles to Seligman, rode from Flagstaff to Wickenburg, all alone, at night...and LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!! Rode to Sonoita, Sierra Vista and Tombstone, took the I-10, took the I-40 and loved EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!
The only thing NOW is that it's flipping HOT out here and it's horrible to ride in the middle of the day. I'm talking 112 to 119. I only ride in the morning and evening now-and the very short trip home.
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

http://azscooting.blogspot.com/

Here are a few posts on my adventures...if anyone's interested. :)

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
...  I rode it (fifteen miles home) VERY slow, with my daughter following me in her car. I was terrified! I started taking it on 'long' rides, lol, about four miles. I thought I was doing great. So I decided to get my permit so I could try taking it farther. Once I had done that,  I took it about seven miles. I thought I was wonder woman! I got braver and braver....Then one day, I just said "f" it and jumped on it and rode, alone, 40 miles to a nearby town just north of me (Wickenburg, AZ). WOW! I was HOOKED! I started riding it EVERYWHERE!
Sounds very similar to the experience of me and my wife. We knew nothing about scooters, but since my wife had knee surgery, she can't shift with her left foot, so scooters were our only option. Our first "big" ride was 3 miles to the MSF Safety Course, where we basically learned to ride. It was so easy and enjoyable- we were hooked! I ride my scooter to work every day until it snows. I love your attitude and sense of exploration! I would love to ride along old 66 on a scooter  - you are so lucky to be able to do that! Welcome, and keep riding!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
MSF! Go find out what it is then go do it. It will boost your well earned confidence and extend your life. Both of ya go if he has not been. Welcome. This IS the place!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()