Author Topic: exhuast pipe problems  (Read 1229 times)

Punk052

• View Profile
exhuast pipe problems
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
I welded up the end of my exhaust pipe yet again today, and I have been toying wi the idea of replacing the exhaust from the head back. Has anyone else had the head pipe crack, perforate, split, or fall apart in some way? Is my exhaust causing issues that I can fix with a jet change or adjustment? Or should I just make a new pipe al together with added strength in the head flange area? I am asking cause if im to lean or rich could this be something that will just keep happening?

TLRam1

• View Profile
Re: exhuast pipe problems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:33:30 AM »
I have heard of this with the People 250 but not with the S model, I don't see how jetting would have anything to do with this. Probably design flaw with the pipe.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
I have the p250.... so its a design flaw with that model then?  I was thinking too lean would mean over heating the pipe and too rich would cause backfires and water in the exhaust maybe?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:01:45 PM by Punk052 »

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:01 PM »
On my dirt bike I can glow the head pipe because it was too lean, so some of what you are saying is correct but I don't think that is the case here.

From memory IIRC I read about the P250 and the condition you described in your first post. 
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:06 AM »
I ordered some stainless pipe and plate for a new exhuast. Maybe I will design it for a slip on muffler.... wish me luck.

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:41 AM »
Let us know how it comes out.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »
I welded up the end of my exhaust pipe yet again today, and I have been toying wi the idea of replacing the exhaust from the head back. Has anyone else had the head pipe crack, perforate, split, or fall apart in some way? Is my exhaust causing issues that I can fix with a jet change or adjustment? Or should I just make a new pipe al together with added strength in the head flange area? I am asking cause if im to lean or rich could this be something that will just keep happening?

These are all wonderful questions.  I had to weld my exhaust 3 or 4 times on my 2005 Grandvista / grand dink.  One night on the way home the exhaust just in front of the muffler crack in have totally and the weld broke going into the muffler.  I would not have thought this was even possible.  I ended up cutting open the muffler on the side near the front to perform emergency surgery and I removed the "hot dog" looking part for lack of a better word.  Full Disclaimer: I'm vegetarian.  Other times I had really loud vibration noises coming from my exhaust.

Anyways, when I re-welded the pipe I adjusted the muffler position to help the three bolts line up better.  However, the bottom bolt broke off twice.  I'm getting ready to cut the bottom piece so it does not put so much of a strain on the rear bottom bolt.

Oddly, when I removed the exhaust to fix a flat in the rear tire - to my amazement one of the 3 bolt holes had trouble lining up with the hole!  It is like the exhaust moved after getting hot.  I'm not sure why Kymco designed the exhaust to be in constant tension but I think it may be the cause of the problem.

Remember, the guts can only be accessed by cutting into the side.  Cutting the rear "cap" and exhaust tip off does nothing.  Good luck and report your results.  Also, another member that lives in Romania had to weld his exhaust for the same reason.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()