Author Topic: Dealer coming to pickup my AK550  (Read 516 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Dealer coming to pickup my AK550
« on: August 25, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »
Battery dead,  no keyless workey

stupid me, forgot to turn the bike off, 2 days later when rain stops, nothing works, I removed the windshield, front panel, hooked up battery charger, 24 hrs later still dead battery

Call dealer,  they are sending somebody right out. It's nice to be a friend of the owner, in the meantime, I got my K-Pipe, but my Post Office Box key is still locked in the whale belly of the AK
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer coming to pickup my AK550
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »
My main concern with modern vehicles. Too darned clever for their own good!  Hope you retrieve your PO Box key soon.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
My main concern with modern vehicles. Too darned clever for their own good!  Hope you retrieve your PO Box key soon.

while they have it, I'm gonna have em do my 600 mile service, I got just over 400 on it, but it's more convenient for them and me, to do it now. They probably have it ready tomorrow, maybe later this afternoon, another perk of being friends with the owner
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 07:21:04 PM »
I didn't even see em come pick it up, sitting here in my rocking chair, waiting for their truck with a lift pull into my drive, I get a call, "where's the windshield " I had all the mounting hardware in an envelope sitting on the bike, but windshield & front plastic were sitting on the retaining wall beside the AK, whoever they sent didn't see it, hell I didn't see em come or go

I guess that's how easy it would be to steal it, or my k-pipe, both are parked outside
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 07:38:16 PM »
Battery dead,  no keyless workey

stupid me, forgot to turn the bike off, 2 days later when rain stops, nothing works, I removed the windshield, front panel, hooked up battery charger, 24 hrs later still dead battery

Call dealer,  they are sending somebody right out. It's nice to be a friend of the owner, in the meantime, I got my K-Pipe, but my Post Office Box key is still locked in the whale belly of the AK

And this here is one of the reasons I installed the emergency seat latch release and posted about the details of that install for others to be able to do. I don't need any keyless fob or for the AK to be powered on to open my seat.

I also don't park any of my scooters outside since I like them and want to keep them in my possession. Isn't there a way to set up even a small shelter that would at least hide your scooters from being seen in public unattended?
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »
And this here is one of the reasons I installed the emergency seat latch release and posted about the details of that install for others to be able to do. I don't need any keyless fob or for the AK to be powered on to open my seat.

I also don't park any of my scooters outside since I like them and want to keep them in my possession. Isn't there a way to set up even a small shelter that would at least hide your scooters from being seen in public unattended?

they can't be seen from road, yes, I could very easily pull them into my barn, I say easily, if I had the space cleared, I am in the process of converting my barn from an office to a workshop/garage that it was originally intended to be, circumstances back in '08 I put a suspended ceiling in, 4 cadd stations, and all the bells & whistles of a small surveying/environmental engineering firm.   Now I have just retired, most of the survey stuff is gone, The guy that is buying my records and rest of equipment will be getting that soon.  Then I can put in a 10'x12' overhead door, take out suspended ceiling, and bikes won't have to  come in thru the double door

my insurance co thinks I live in a safe neighborhood, my comprehensive premium is next to nothing, even at ACV no deductible 
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 08:11:33 PM »
What Neil said...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 06:00:53 AM »
my brain started stewing and woke me up

I just realized, the fuses are right next to the battery >:( meaning if one blows, windscreen, front panel have to come off

Kymco could have put them in a more accessible location, like maybe in a glove box next to the usb port
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
my brain started stewing and woke me up

I just realized, the fuses are right next to the battery >:( meaning if one blows, windscreen, front panel have to come off

Kymco could have put them in a more accessible location, like maybe in a glove box next to the usb port

There you go.  More tools you have to carry with you!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
I actually carry fewer tools on the AK than I have on other bikes. But still have all the right tools to be able to tear down the bike until the only thing left is what I would never do on the road anyway.
A better location would be under the seat like is found on the Burgman 650. In the glove box next to the USB would still be hard to reach without a set of long nose pliers. But I'm OK with where the fuse block is since I don't really find it that bad getting to it for how often that might be needed.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 02:05:35 PM »
you're right, glove box as designed wouldn't be that much more accessible, of course, god forbid, it would require ......... more wire
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 04:07:57 PM »
Just curious here, why didnt you jump the dead battery to get things working??  I try to replace my batteries before they go dead, then I hand on to one that will hold a charge even though mabey not a full charge.  This is my go to battery for jumping other vehicles.  I keep this old battery on a battery " maintainer/ charger" which I have found to actually give some extra life to old batteries. Rather use another battery to jump, than take a chance of screwing up the electronics on todays newer vehicles.  Just curious why you didnt jump it ??

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 08:26:18 PM »
Just curious here, why didnt you jump the dead battery to get things working??  I try to replace my batteries before they go dead, then I hand on to one that will hold a charge even though mabey not a full charge.  This is my go to battery for jumping other vehicles.  I keep this old battery on a battery " maintainer/ charger" which I have found to actually give some extra life to old batteries. Rather use another battery to jump, than take a chance of screwing up the electronics on todays newer vehicles.  Just curious why you didnt jump it ??

why didn't I jump start it ?  even if I started it, I wasn't going anywhere on it until I had a fully charged battery, I have 4 other vehicles in the drive to choose from, Silverado, Tacoma, K-Pipe, & UXV450i (I have a street registration for the UXV)

It was a good time to get it in for service.  As I have posted before, I am close friend with the owner of 2 dealerships, I purchased at the further one because they had one, but will be serviced at the closer dealership. There is a friendly rivalry between the 2, and my local mechanics will look for any mistakes in setup, so they can rub it in at the next company staff meeting
RandyO
IBA#9560

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 12:21:18 AM »
I always hook up my 550 to a trickle charger in my garage, because sometimes I cant ride for a few weeks at a time

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 12:52:49 AM »
I always hook up my 550 to a trickle charger in my garage, because sometimes I cant ride for a few weeks at a time

Dean

getting a new battery under warranty,  not first time battery was drained, apparently it got drained on showroom floor before I bought it, when I get it back, it will have a pigtail to connect a battery tender
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()