Author Topic: New AK550 owner  (Read 1483 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
New AK550 owner
« on: August 05, 2022, 08:51:09 PM »
I finally decided it's time for a scooter, I'm old (relatively) fat, and limited range of motion, even having an issue getting my leg over my K-Pipe

This will be my 3rd Kymco #1 UXV540i #2 K-Pipe and now #3 the AK550, along with an '07 V-strom 1000 (I need to bring a step to ride that)

Gonna hafta read the owners manual to learn how the keyless stuff works
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New AK550 owner
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 09:16:19 PM »
Wow@!
Congrats.
Brought home the Kymco Mother Ship!

Ride safe.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:28:26 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 10:08:53 PM »
Wow@!
Congrats.
Brought home the Kymco Mother Ship!

Ride safe.
Stig

not home yet, local dealership has 2 locations, and it is at the "not local" location, tomorrow morning it will get transported to the local shop, good price, $8700 otd
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 11:12:40 PM »
not home yet, local dealership has 2 locations, and it is at the "not local" location, tomorrow morning it will get transported to the local shop, good price, $8700 otd
Is that a new price?
Seems maybe $2000.oo too low.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 11:43:25 PM »
I finally decided it's time for a scooter, I'm old (relatively) fat, and limited range of motion, even having an issue getting my leg over my K-Pipe

This will be my 3rd Kymco #1 UXV540i #2 K-Pipe and now #3 the AK550, along with an '07 V-strom 1000 (I need to bring a step to ride that)

Gonna hafta read the owners manual to learn how the keyless stuff works

Congrats!
New 2022 model? or a 2021? Although I would expect all the 2021 models were gone months ago based on all the info I've heard directly from dealers I've talked to.
Color?

I also was just beginning to feel the pain in the hips from swinging a leg over the seat. It wasn't yet all that painful but I could feel it was going to get that way fast if I didn't do something different. So enter my return to scooters full time. Anything to extend the riding later in life. Besides, how would you carry a step stool on a taller bike?  ;D

Now, about that keyless stuff...
Try this post that I wrote in several forums many months ago. It's all second nature to me now so I never really think about it.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32070.msg225011#msg225011
Maybe it will help. Although it is a bit detailed.

I called all around the MidWest looking for someone who had one or could order one for me. I got a test ride while on a camping trip 550+ miles away (the camping trip) since the dealer was near that location who had one for me to ride. Then I knew if I could just get one ordered for the right price with my trade-in. I ended up riding mine home 406 miles over the course of 2 days to keep it slower for the break in miles.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:26:33 AM »
Is that a new price?
Seems maybe $2000.oo too low.

Stig

dealer invoice + setup cost,  I have a unique relationship with the owner, I walked in, grabbed a salesman, told him to ask Miles (the owner) how much out the door for me. He was on the road, actually in route to the store, we had all the paperwork done by the time he arrived (Friday afternoon Rt 1 traffic) HE gave me a tour of the new facility, I had only seen it on blueprints. (I did the wetlands permitting for him) AC in the service area is the coolest place in the building, mechanics are happy. Really nice setup. It's a Honda/honda power equip/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasakii/Polaris/Slingshot/Kymco & Triton dealer

on the showroom floor now, most/y fugly green Agility scooters, and Kawasaki dirtbikes, a few quads & SxSs Snowmobiles, and some cruisers & sportbikes, not many. He said Kawasaki & Kymco are the only ones shipping product although he did say do get a few scooters, he had to take a whole container, but they have been flying out the door
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 12:30:12 AM »
plain jane blue (flat) 2022 model, They have another AK in gold, but was damaged in the crate, and they are waiting for Kymco to ship replacement parts
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 02:25:04 AM »
Nice.
I think the Matte Deep Blue to be the best color. I was liking the Gold/Bronze/Root Beer (or what ever you want to call that color) but at the time that one was not available in the States. Then I saw the Matte Blue and changed my mind.

Sounds like you have a really sweet relationship with that dealer. That has lots of benefits for sure.
Your dealer will likely be waiting a while to get those replacement parts.
I knew that these machines were selling really well. The dealer where I bought mine ordered a gray one for me just by my phone call indicating I was interested but undecided. Then when I told him I wanted a blue one for sure he ordered that 2 days after the first one had arrived and had it 3 days later. As of last May he had 4 more come and go out the door and he is a really small dealership.
It is good to hear that Kymco is selling well in the States.
/bob

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
The only thing I haven't figured out, is how to switch the speedometer and odometer functions to miles

no owners manual came with it ? found one online translated from Italian, but couldn't find anything, also watched a youtube video, and nothing mentioned about switching from metric
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 09:29:19 PM »
The only thing I haven't figured out, is how to switch the speedometer and odometer functions to miles

no owners manual came with it ? found one online translated from Italian, but couldn't find anything, also watched a youtube video, and nothing mentioned about switching from metric

Ah, yes...
That's one of the things I learned through extensive study of YouTube videos that I showed a few dealers how to do.
I also posted somewhere about that.
To change the units from KM/H to MPH do this.
-Set the Noodoe/Meter switch (front of the right control cluster) to Meter.
-Then using the up/down toggle on the right control cluster press the down until the  MAIN Odometer is showing.
-LONG PRESS the orange select button until the units changes on the odometer from KM to Miles. That will also change the KM/H to MPH. Holding the orange select button longer will just keep toggling the units back and forth so stop pressing when the units you want is displayed.

The Owners Manual should have come with it if it is a new scooter. I've never heard of one not coming with a new scooter or motorcycle unless the dealer was using it for a demo and lost the manuals... in that case shame on them. They owe you a user manual. Since they have to wait on parts for that Gold AK that was damaged in the crate they should give you the one from that AK and order a manual along with the other parts. The USA version of the owner manual does still have some information that relates more to the Euro models but the service schedule is set for the USA.

I have not found an Owner Manual online but I did find a Service Manual in English intended for the 2020 Euro 4 versions from the Kymco HQ in Austria (not Australia). Go to this page and scroll most of the way down to the AK 550 section and look for the "Workshop Manual AK550" for the entire English version Service Manual PDF file to download. They also have a PDF of the electrical diagram in color. I usually zoom in to 200-300% to easily read that clearly.
https://kymco.at/kymco_store_view/dowloads/kymco.html

Also, don't forget to look at the sticker inside the storage box under the seat for information about the proper fuel octane to use. All the manuals show the Euro octane number which is different than the USA number for the same fuel. Even my owner manual shows the wrong octane number but that sticker shows the right fuel to use.

Here is a link to the service schedule that I copied from my own owner manual:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kz8THw6sQXVFMTzHA

Hope this all helps.
/bob

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 11:57:16 PM »
THANK YOU !!!!

Ah, yes...
That's one of the things I learned through extensive study of YouTube videos that I showed a few dealers how to do.
I also posted somewhere about that.
To change the units from KM/H to MPH do this.
-Set the Noodoe/Meter switch (front of the right control cluster) to Meter.
-Then using the up/down toggle on the right control cluster press the down until the  MAIN Odometer is showing.
-LONG PRESS the orange select button until the units changes on the odometer from KM to Miles. That will also change the KM/H to MPH. Holding the orange select button longer will just keep toggling the units back and forth so stop pressing when the units you want is displayed.

The Owners Manual should have come with it if it is a new scooter. I've never heard of one not coming with a new scooter or motorcycle unless the dealer was using it for a demo and lost the manuals... in that case shame on them. They owe you a user manual. Since they have to wait on parts for that Gold AK that was damaged in the crate they should give you the one from that AK and order a manual along with the other parts. The USA version of the owner manual does still have some information that relates more to the Euro models but the service schedule is set for the USA.

I have not found an Owner Manual online but I did find a Service Manual in English intended for the 2020 Euro 4 versions from the Kymco HQ in Austria (not Australia). Go to this page and scroll most of the way down to the AK 550 section and look for the "Workshop Manual AK550" for the entire English version Service Manual PDF file to download. They also have a PDF of the electrical diagram in color. I usually zoom in to 200-300% to easily read that clearly.
https://kymco.at/kymco_store_view/dowloads/kymco.html

Also, don't forget to look at the sticker inside the storage box under the seat for information about the proper fuel octane to use. All the manuals show the Euro octane number which is different than the USA number for the same fuel. Even my owner manual shows the wrong octane number but that sticker shows the right fuel to use.

Here is a link to the service schedule that I copied from my own owner manual:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kz8THw6sQXVFMTzHA

Hope this all helps.
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 06:05:22 PM »
from my ride around the pond yesterday

https://goo.gl/maps/59HcQPK3Ashofsme6
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:59:40 PM by randyo »
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
from my ride around the pond yesterday

https://goo.gl/maps/59HcQPK3Ashofsme6
What State are we in?
Don't recognize any of the cities.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 06:28:07 PM »
What State are we in?
Don't recognize any of the cities.
Stig

New Hampshire, the "pond" is Lake Winnipesaukee, the photos I linked are not showing ?? I will figure that out, I went thru Wolfeborough, America's oldest summer resort, & Laconia, the oldest motorcycle rally, along the way. As usual, heavy traffic opposite direction, light to non-existent traffic in my direction, I have a knack for that.
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 06:54:22 PM »
Do you ever ride over along the Atlantic?
Coastal towns, villages?
I lived for a time in central Mass  (Springfield,  Amherst - very much like Yellow Springs)
but...whenever I could I was heading for the coast. The Ocean!
It's where I started hunting sunrises!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()