Author Topic: trailering with a windshield on an open trailer  (Read 1709 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
trailering with a windshield on an open trailer
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
just what the title says

my windshield instructions say not to trailer it on an open trailer, I am not going thru the process of removing it and reinstalling it

I was thinking of some wooden 2x4 braces that I would keep in place with ratchet straps, or is that even necessary,

do I really have anything to worry about doing a 3hr tow @65-70 mph,   it's only 20mph faster than I drive my UTV when I hit open road
RandyO
IBA#9560

mstparker

• View Profile
Re: trailering with a windshield on an open trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 02:55:34 PM »
just what the title says

my windshield instructions say not to trailer it on an open trailer, I am not going thru the process of removing it and reinstalling it

I was thinking of some wooden 2x4 braces that I would keep in place with ratchet straps, or is that even necessary,

do I really have anything to worry about doing a 3hr tow @65-70 mph,   it's only 20mph faster than I drive my UTV when I hit open road

That’s why I bought the half windshield.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
mine is a split,    I really don't see a problem, I think the company is covering their ass, but it is easy for me to make a couple braces
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 12:37:13 AM »
Made mine a 2 pc, so the top half folds outward and lays on the hood. Had that on an open trailer with no issues at 70 mph, however it was folded down!  Mine also has an aluminum angle going all the way across to support the windshield from flexing.  Mine is also made from lexan, it wont break...mine is held on with 4 strap clamp mounts, can be removed in about 10-15 min. If windshield is solid, what is the material?  Plexiglass will break or shatter but lexan wont break at all.  Might fold if thin enough.
65-70 mph is a much greater wind force than 40 mph by far. You dont have a roof so that will help. Next is how is your windshield mounted?  That might be a more critical issue. Hate to see it buckle and come off. Also depends how your towing your 450i...forward or backward??  If you go with bracing be sure you are supporting the windshield on the correct side. Dont put your braces where you look thru, or the windshield may scratch from having the wind vibrate against the brace.  Just throwing some things out there to think about before you head out.  You might consider sawing your windshield in half and add a long piano hinge to allow the top half to fold down, that would cut your wind resistance in half.  Let us know what you decide....safe travels!!

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 02:15:27 AM »
Have never had any issues trailering mine with windshield on. I have a two-piece windshield from Super ATV. Bottom piece is about 8 inches tall at the bottom and stays put. Top piece covers the rest of the opening and can be set completely closed, cracked open about three inch gap at bottom or lifted up completely open. I trailer it fully closed, as this actually allows the roll cage to support the sides.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 04:21:48 PM »

Have never had any issues trailering mine with windshield on. I have a two-piece windshield from Super ATV. Bottom piece is about 8 inches tall at the bottom and stays put. Top piece covers the rest of the opening and can be set completely closed, cracked open about three inch gap at bottom or lifted up completely open. I trailer it fully closed, as this actually allows the roll cage to support the sides.

:)  the exact windshield I have, great news !!!!!
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()