Author Topic: news from my dealer  (Read 1994 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
news from my dealer
« on: June 18, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »
after putting my new tires on, I drove it to my dealer for annual service & repair work, It was klacking in 4wd when backing up, and no brakes

and I drove nearly 10 miles to my dealer, hitting almost 50 most of the way......eeeeek! BROKEN FRAME in front

they are sending it out to a local fabrication shop, the same one I use for my projects when needed, I have full confidence it will come back stronger than new, with plenty of extra gussets,

Good news for me, everything can be fixed local and not have to wait all summer for parts
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: news from my dealer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 04:55:16 PM »
Part the first, horror story!  Part the second, all is sweetness and light.  Glad for you and we all love a happy ending.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »
as I said, I have full confidence in the fab shop, my first experience with them was 30 years ago, I broke the bell housing in an air cooled VW engine while attempting to install it (didn't have splines lined up on shaft) they welded it without having to dismantle the engine, or even drain the oil, this is a guy that can weld 2 razor blades without warping them,
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
Good to know you have local talent!   I am curious as to where the frame broke?  From the other makes tht I looked closely at, the Kymco had a very heavy duty frame.  Glad it is an easy fix!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:16:27 AM »
Good to know you have local talent!   I am curious as to where the frame broke?  From the other makes tht I looked closely at, the Kymco had a very heavy duty frame.  Glad it is an easy fix!!

Jason is the most talented welder I have ever known, especially with alloys that will go "poof" like a sparkler stick, I remember it took him a couple days to do my VW, a half inch at a time, right to the point the mag alloy is about to catch fire, then  let it cool a few hours while working on another project, then another half inch, that was with older technology, with todays modern welders, he could probably zip it right out 

I will track down where my unit is next Tuesday (out of town for weekend) and snap a photo, service manager told me they were going to strip it down, before they have the welder look at it, and figure out logistics between the 2 shops

as much as it might cost me, I can't replace it, nearly all the units my local dealer has, are used, but some new units are trickling in from the mfgrs

broken frame explains the brakes too, brake line broke along with the frame 
RandyO
IBA#9560

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 08:01:49 AM »

This is a very confusing thread!  One guy is talking about a "broken frame" on a 4x4, and the next guy thinks it's a Kymco with 4WD, but by the end of the discussion, we're now welding some kind of VW.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »
This is a very confusing thread!  One guy is talking about a "broken frame" on a 4x4, and the next guy thinks it's a Kymco with 4WD, but by the end of the discussion, we're now welding some kind of VW.

Welcome to the Proustian world of the Kymco Forum JJ.  Either that or some of these guys are on serious prescription meds?...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 04:59:04 PM »
If you read carefully it is quite easy to follow, perhaps your reading skills need improvement. I am 72 yrs old and have no issue following along!!

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 05:16:55 PM »
If you read carefully it is quite easy to follow, perhaps your reading skills need improvement. I am 72 yrs old and have no issue following along!!
I can see after 72 years you're annoyed with other people asking questions, after all it is a reader's forum. But no need to get nasty!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »

not sure where yer airshot moniker comes from, but I bet you've had experience with the magnesium alloy VW cases on the old air cooled engines

and as you deduced, this is a testament to my welders skills
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »
back from fab shop to dealer today, frame is welded, now the techs at the dealership can dive into the other issues, hopefully, just repair a broken brake line & bleed, and change fluids

it was slipping in reverse though, making noise, I fear metallic particles in the front universal, I did stop backing up when I started to hear noise though, maybe I will be lucky
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
back from fab shop to dealer today, frame is welded, now the techs at the dealership can dive into the other issues, hopefully, just repair a broken brake line & bleed, and change fluids

it was slipping in reverse though, making noise, I fear metallic particles in the front universal, I did stop backing up when I started to hear noise though, maybe I will be lucky

Good luck with that or potentially expensive?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 08:56:33 PM »
Good luck with that or potentially expensive?

not worried about cost, as much as wait time if I need Kymco specific parts,  last summer, after waiting for ball joints from Kymco for 5 months, my dealer finally sourced them aftermarket, they also had to source a bearing from a bearing specialty store, the axles came in normal delivery time <10 days

I am very lucky to have the relationship with my dealer that I do. (as a land surveyor/wetland scientist, I have done a lot of work for the owner, sometimes we barter)
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »

I am very lucky to have the relationship with my dealer that I do. (as a land surveyor/wetland scientist, I have done a lot of work for the owner, sometimes we barter)

They're like physicians.  If you find a good one, stick with them!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
They're like physicians.  If you find a good one, stick with them!

I just did that too, my primary care physician left the local practice to join one about 25 miles away, he was able to keep about 1/3 of his patients, and I made sure I was one of em
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()