Author Topic: Snowplowing  (Read 3214 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Snowplowing
« on: December 19, 2021, 10:03:10 PM »
I just finished my driveway from our first storm this winter, between 5 and 6 inches, I got a new wider blade for my plow, up to 66" from 60"  it makes all the difference in the world, cuts my time in half

the other surprise I had, is I still have my street tires on, they grip good, but if things get icy, I'll probably have to put my set of tires with chains on
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Snowplowing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 01:30:35 AM »
You have enough snow to plow????  Your a lucky man!! We havent had squat.....hard to believe 6"  wider makes that big a difference....

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
You have enough snow to plow????  Your a lucky man!! We havent had squat.....hard to believe 6"  wider makes that big a difference....

I would think having a plow a bit wider than your machine makes each pass much cleaner, eliminating the need to redo the same spots multiple times. They do recommend always having a blade at least 6 inches wider than your machine, and the 450 comes it at just under 59 inches wide. I have a 66-inch blade on mine, and it works great.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 08:42:32 PM »
I think the winter car tires made a difference too, my set of off road tires with chains, I can hardly steer. the winter car tires steer well, and have sipes and grip as good as chains 
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 08:47:29 PM »
My blade is called a 60" but actually measures 61 plus inches...my machine actually measures 56" wide so there is a little extra.  Even on an angle the blade cuts wider than my wheels but not by a whole lot.  Guess I didnt think that extra would be a big deal.  My Quad Boss pile Driver blade is very heavy, probably close to 200 lbs, actually much heavier duty than I need, but the easy on and off was well worth it !!!!  Hate to see what a 66" wide blade would weigh !!  Even if I need to make a few extra passes, that just means more fun in my eyes!!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »
my plow is a Moose, the 66" is also an inch taller, 17" vs the 60" blades 16" height

I got it in yellow, with the rubber flap for the top, and markers that I didn't have before,
when I did the swap, I tightened up on the trip tension as well, that made a difference as well
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 11:14:58 PM »
The top flap is something I have wanted to add and will whenever we get a good snowfall. In the 5 wiinters I have had my plow the snow has been fairly sparse. I added the corner markers 2 winters back, at my age the quick ubstall/ release keeps me from having to crawl under the machine. Hadva moosebplow on my quad for 16 years with no issues, but they didnt have the quick attach feature when I got my SxS, so I wentvwith the Pile Driver.
 All this snow plow talk is making me wish for snow!!!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
we really barely got enough to plow, any less, and I woulda just packed it down by driving over it, added sand where I needed to, I still have a decent sized pile of salted sand, enuf to get me thru the winter, I have it delivered every other year, more or less 3 cu yds at a time, thinking of getting a spreader, I will try a cheaper tow behind model, before I spend $$$$ for a heavy ass spreader that mounts in the bed
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 03:57:37 AM »
I use as little salt as possible, sidewalks are to expensive !! I have a small snoblower for walkways and a big walk behind that throws snow 40 ft and higher than my barn if needed for any big snow drifts.  Other wise I enjoy plowing, push the heater button and within 2-3 minutes the chill is gone and I am pushing snow. Even do a couple of neighbors drives if not real deep, not going to abuse my equipment on other peoples driveways. 

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 02:16:40 PM »
I have a gravel drive, salt is necessary to keep the sand from freezing solid. but I do try to limit use, I've had some salt damage in my hedge, on my concrete apron of my barn, I only use calcium chloride, it doesn't eat concrete like sodium chloride or magnesium chloride, and it works in colder temps
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 05:11:36 PM »
My drive is also gravel, dont care if salt is on the stone, but I do have nice concrete walkways so need to watch salt use there. I have my blade set a good 3/4" high to leave a layer of packed snow as a base.  Not a fan of picking stones out of the grass. Last winter I found some stuff that is OK for dogs paws and easy on concrete but after only one years use, cant say how easy it is on the concrete.  It is a rounded pebble so it doesnt cut or irritate our dogs feet. Havent had much sucess with the fake salt stuff, actually been using various brands for years and still see little pock marks on my concrete. With my small snoblower I can keep most snow cleared easy but when we get an ice rain or such, that walk gets really slick !!

Scottishsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 07:30:11 PM »
New owner of a 2021 UXV 700i and a MXU 450i.
Looking for some help with a snowplow attachement that fits the new 2021 models (most parts on sites like KFI or Warn only go to 2019-20)

Also Warn has a small loader bucket for ATV but again not listed for Kymco models. Anyone know of a loader bucket that would fit either of these 2021 models.

Love the machines. Bought for light work around small 5acre farm.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »
I would re consider the bucket idea....a number of articles written about cracked frames from people overloading them. Most cant really hold much weight and the bucket is not very big.  Your call, but I would use caution. Allvthe hardware needed to mount this accessory adds a lot of weight to your machine.  Consider carefully......

Scottishsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 10:40:44 PM »
@airshot - thanks for the advice. I will certainly check into it. My other choice is a small reactor but frankly trying to save the $$$ given current tractor prices even for small ones but if it is stressful on the frame I could end up robbing Peter to pay Paul.!!!

Would still like to attach a plow to my UTV however, just need to find a setup that will fit the 2021 models.

Cheers

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 05:16:26 PM »
Hard to believe the 21 model is that much different from a 20 model....Could it be that there listing just stops at 20 and hasnt been updated to 21 models. I know when I bought my 2015 SxS there were no bolt on plow kits availiable.  I wanted a mid mount for less stress on the front chasis.  I ended up making my own mid chasis mount. Much stronger and uses the support from 3 crossmembers so I know it is solid. Lots more aftermarket stuff today than back in 2015. You might have to contact the mount mfgrs themselves to see if it fits your 21 model year

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()