Author Topic: Kymco starting issues  (Read 375 times)

chelseaspie

• View Profile
Kymco starting issues
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »
For a few weeks now my Kymco agility 50 has had a few issues starting.
Here she is;
April 2018 brand new
6000km on the clock
serviced every 2,500 with no issues.
I live in Northern tropical qld (30c - up to 100% humidity).

So i got her off her centre stand and used her ignition switch, she made a few turn overs but the light didnt come on and she didnt start, my partner tried the kick start (i am unsure if he did it correctly) and it didnt start either, we charged her up with a wall charger and she worked perfectly afterwards.

on day later same thing happened (after a 40 minute 30km ride at 60kph) a kind man helped me kick start her. I got home okay, she didnt conk out at any lights.

Today (one day later) she didnt start again, I kick started her, went 3 kms away, got food, got back on her ans she started with the switch perfectly fine, nice and loud.

What could this be? Is it a battery or ignition problem? or something else?

she is full on fuel (never goes below 50%), I always use the ignition switch correctly, she has recently been filled up on oil.

I have noticed recently that she doesnt start as fast as she used too, and takes an extra 15ish seconds to reach 50-60kph when i first start her if that has anything to do with whats going on.

All help is appreciated. Thank you ^.^

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco starting issues
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
Replace the battery. Or at least load test it before replacement. Your good description leads to a failing battery. Wait! New in 2018? Still under warranty! This is way too quick for even a cheapo battery to go south. Tell your dealer: warranty problem.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:29:15 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
I second Karl's suggestion. Also check for a corroded, bad connection somewhere in the starting circuit.
2009 GV 250

chelseaspie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
Thanks guys, yep only 7 months old, typical huh, i heard Kymco doesnt bother give warranty to anything electrical. I was going to buy the 200 but if they dont sort this out then i wont be!

Thanks for all the suggestions, i will be taking her to her dealer tomorrow to get a service :) Will post what they say just incase anyone else is having the same issues.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
Thanks guys, yep only 7 months old, typical huh, i heard Kymco doesnt bother give warranty to anything electrical. I was going to buy the 200 but if they dont sort this out then i wont be!

Thanks for all the suggestions, i will be taking her to her dealer tomorrow to get a service :) Will post what they say just incase anyone else is having the same issues.
Please read your warranty paperwork ----
All electrical parts and labor are covered for the first 540 days......regardless of what your crowd is telling you.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:44:15 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()