Author Topic: How many people on this forum have you met in person?  (Read 1277 times)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: How many people on this forum have you met in person?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
Thanks Ruffus, it was the great GBS:  George Bernard Shaw said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"
I know that  GBS said it first but Winston Churchill is who I remember the quote from.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »
And I think he offered a much more quote-worthy version too!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 03:26:42 PM »
We have said the same thing, in fact Neil and I have had a discussion about car parts having different names in each country.  The world has become a smaller place with the internet.  I remember in the early days of the Internet riding in a car with some long time friends  on hwy 400.  We passed  the small town of Beaumont *Kansas.  A question by me led to Marcie looking up the info as we drove down the hwy.  As a child I would have been amazed to be able to make a phone call from a car.

*Beaumont Kansas is a very small town known for historic railroad water tower. It has a hotel/restaurant that pilots land at the airstrip and taxi into town and park in front of the motel restaurant  for lunch.

KK, I've driven through Kansas. I think if you stand on a kitchen chair in Kansas City you can see Denver.
I once hitch hiked across Kansas, caught a ride with a pro bowler. He talked bowling for like 20 hours straight, until I grabbed my pack and guitar and jumped out at a light in Grand Junction!
The whole state is like a landing strip....no offence meant.

I rode my Honda from San Antonio to parent's USAF airbase in Topeka, before flying out of Kansas City to SeaTac & Vietnam. Flew same route back a year later to meet up with my wife.
In the 50's we lived in a rented farmhouse somewhere in Kansas when my Dad was stationed before at that same Topeka airbase. As a little kid I had my foot stepped on by horse ridden by a girl who used to accompany my older brother to the one-room school house down the road, somewhere out of my sight...

Good memories of Kansas - just a real test of patience to drive across!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 04:45:28 PM »
KK, I've driven through Kansas. I think if you stand on a kitchen chair in Kansas City you can see Denver.
I once hitch hiked across Kansas, caught a ride with a pro bowler. He talked bowling for like 20 hours straight, until I grabbed my pack and guitar and jumped out at a light in Grand Junction!
The whole state is like a landing strip....no offence meant.

I rode my Honda from San Antonio to parent's USAF airbase in Topeka, before flying out of Kansas City to SeaTac & Vietnam. Flew same route back a year later to meet up with my wife.
In the 50's we lived in a rented farmhouse somewhere in Kansas when my Dad was stationed before at that same Topeka airbase. As a little kid I had my foot stepped on by horse ridden by a girl who used to accompany my older brother to the one-room school house down the road, somewhere out of my sight...

Good memories of Kansas - just a real test of patience to drive across!!

Stig
Dude the whole high plain are flat from Manitoba Canada to Texas.  Actually the flint hills are just that into Eastern KS with some variety of terrain.  You get West of 135 and it flattens out.   I travel a lot since my family is so spread out so get to see a lot of the country.   I have family in Canada, California, *Pennsylvania,  Georgia and Texas.  I've been through Ohio many times on I-70 , I-80, I-76 and I-71 and beleive it would be very short sided of me to judge Ohio by the interstate.  That's why when I go to visit family I would like to bring a scooter and check out more then the interstate and stop by your coffee village.  I hope someday you will be able to do the same and I can show you some county roads and lakes. 

*Moved from Lantau Island Hong Kong .

By the way this invitation is open to anyone that would like to stop by in there travels.  By the way I avoid the interstate like the plague when on the scooter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:52:55 PM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 05:30:42 PM »
Stig another funny thing I remember from school.  El Dorado  where I grew up had a exchange program. One student from Switzerland made the comment  (you drive 3 hours in Switzerland your in another country, you drive 3 hrs in Kansas you're still in Kansas) .  As a young person I learned a lot from the exchange students. Do you know if schools still have exchange programs?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 08:52:23 AM »
 pe0ple from EU drove three days gave up driving to BC as they were still in Ontario,

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
Stig another funny thing I remember from school.  El Dorado  where I grew up had a exchange program. One student from Switzerland made the comment  (you drive 3 hours in Switzerland your in another country, you drive 3 hrs in Kansas you're still in Kansas) .  As a young person I learned a lot from the exchange students. Do you know if schools still have exchange programs?
Yes, my kid's Christian school has kids from Korea,  Japan and the Middle East. The ME are prized for their soccer skills --- or maybe that's just me talking😊
Had a kid from the UK on the soccer team. He was a skilled rugby player back home - who invariably got carded in the soccer games for roughness! He couldn't help it😊
I think each of these kids were from very wealthy families.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
pe0ple from EU drove three days gave up driving to BC as they were still in Ontario,
Ontario is definitely huge.  Drove from Sioux Lookout  to close by Toronto and it was 1250 miles.  Ironically the same distance from my house in Kansas to Sioux Lookout.  Coming back I took the Northern route by Kapuskasing.  Extremely weird experience, You know how when you start to get a very bad cold? I had a fever and was spacey and was sitting in a restaurant while everyone around me was speaking french. It was surreal to say the least.  Some absolutely beautiful scenery and would be a fantastic scooter ride.

Big Mac

• old enough to know better, but don't care
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »
When I first glanced at this topic, I thought it said How many.... have you met in Prison!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 12:50:54 AM »
When I first glanced at this topic, I thought it said How many.... have you met in Prison!
Ooops
(see my post..)

#45362-J Block
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2021, 10:54:46 PM »
We have said the same thing, in fact Neil and I have had a discussion about car parts having different names in each country.  The world has become a smaller place with the internet.  I remember in the early days of the Internet riding in a car with some long time friends  on hwy 400.  We passed  the small town of Beaumont *Kansas.  A question by me led to Marcie looking up the info as we drove down the hwy.  As a child I would have been amazed to be able to make a phone call from a car.

*Beaumont Kansas is a very small town known for historic railroad water tower. It has a hotel/restaurant that pilots land at the airstrip and taxi into town and park in front of the motel restaurant  for lunch.
  Back in the 30.s  there was 1 phone per city block allowed , if the home owner did not like you , no phone unless it was a emergency  in regina sask,.  Canada,.  we were not on the good list as our cat hunted his chickens, 

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 09:05:53 AM »

It’s all relative. 3 hours here can get you coast to coast! 😂
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
Here in northern Italy you could be in half an hour in Slovenia, one hour more and you are through Croatia and after this three hours you would be in Austria to sit for a nice cuppa and cake (COVID aside). But "tempi passati".
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »

I'm also on the Adventure Rider Forums.  All the members there are called "Inmates" ;)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »
It’s all relative. 3 hours here can get you coast to coast! 😂
I recently read that 11 states are larger than the U.K., and that each, alone, have more days of sunshine per year.
(also read that: musically - the 20th century will be remembered for 2 things: the Beatles and Dylan. Full stop.)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()