Author Topic: New Member - Like 200i Anniversary  (Read 6889 times)

NJrider

• View Profile
New Member - Like 200i Anniversary
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
Just a quick hello and introduction.  I just got a Like Anniversary edition and am in Northern NJ.

Also have a Vespa GTS.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Like 200i Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:46 PM »
Welcome.
Good scooter!
If you don't mind my asking - what are they selling for these days, out-the-door?
Think I paid $3200, all in, for a 2012 LIKE200iLX in 2013.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:19:07 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »
Welcome, glad to here that there is someone else from north Jersey. I thought I was the only 1 [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skipper20

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:10:15 PM »
Just a quick hello and introduction.  I just got a Like Anniversary edition and am in Northern NJ.

Also have a Vespa GTS.

Welcome aboard. For a Vespa rider, the Like makes sense. A Vespa style front and classic Lambretta rear. Good choice!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'13 Like 200i (AZ scoot)
'12 170i Genuine Buddy Italia

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
Welcome! I'm in northwestern NJ near Hackettstown. I host a scooter ride/BBQ every year on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. PM me if interested and I'll send you the details.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

NJrider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Hi Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

To answer Stig's question, I paid just under $3k total due to my dealer not updating their website price and they honored it.  I saw one as low as $1700 before all the added costs, but that was in either Texas or Cali.

The styling of the Like does indeed make perfect sense for me, it had Vespa hints but also looks like a Lambretta and I have always wanted a lammy. 

Also happy to see other NJ people here like pipster and scooterlar, I am in Hackensack so if anyone is up for a ride let me know.   ScooterLar, let me know about the Memorial day event, sounds like a fun time and Hackettstown and surrounding areas have amazing roads.  They are some of my favorite on the motorcycle, that and the Harriman area in NY.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »
Welcome aboard. Great pick for a scooter. I'm from the left coast, but my dad was born (1930) and raised in Hackensack, NJ before moving to Cali in 1948. 

NJrider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:21:37 AM »
Wow Troutbum, talk about a small world!  I have lived in Hackensack most of my life, was born in Athens Greece but moved to the states with family when I was 6.  At this point I think calling myself a Jersey Boy is a given.

Been trying to enjoy the Like when the weather permits and when I am not busy adding things to it.  So far I have added the rear guards, underseat bag, and OEM windshield which I am not really loving.  I also removed the topcase/trunk and replaced it with a Givi which I can switch from the like to my motorcycle.  Pictures will follow soon.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:53:09 PM »
Hi
I am also a new member with a 2015 Anniversary Edition of the Like 200i.  It had 20 miles on the odometer!  I'm from Illinois and my wife and I are making to slow move to Tennessee.

An interesting story:  I checked my two spare fuses in the battery compartment.  I had two 15A fuses but it should have been one 10A and one 15A.  So I went to the dealer.  The Parts Dept. had nothing and sent me to the Service Dept.  They got out a dusty bid of fuses... but could not find a 10A fuse.  Do I went to a parts store and bought a pack of 5 (needing only one).  The American standard seems to be two lengths, the longer of the two being 1 1/4".  After checking it out with the fuses in the scooter, I discovered that the KYMCO uses 1 inch fuses!  The American fuse can be crammed in the fuse holder but you may need electrical tape to close the holder.  Now I wondering if this is the beginning of series of unpleasant surprises.  Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy?

Thanks for the members on this forum who pass on such good information - I already have saved several pages of notes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:55 AM »
  Now I wondering if this is the beginning of series of unpleasant surprises.  Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy?

http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com

KYMCO part # 98200-11500 FUSE 15A     
$1.81

KYMCO part # 98200-11000 FUSE 10A
$2.38

The short ones are hard to find in 15A. And you are correct, per owner's manual and fuses in the system are 10A & 15A. And yes they give you two 10A fuses, while the 3rd fuse holder is empty. No 15A.
Cyclepedia states the LIKE200i takes a 10A & a 7A.
The People 200S uses a 15A short glass fuse (see above)
A bit pricey here.....but I picked up some spare fuses for about $.50 ea. from a local electrical supply house yrs ago when I first bought the LIKE.

Other "unpleasant surprises" ?
Maybe a couple of things: If you're tall the top of the head light glares into your eyes. Don't over fill the gas tank.
The stock Kenda tires offer a few thrilling seconds in a hard, wet stop. Check exhaust guard screws for loosening (some owners locktite 'em). The hard hump in the seat halfway back is not fun if you're tall. (seat pan can be trimmed to get rid of some of that).
If your salesman told you that your new LIKE200i Anniversary model is a perfect interstate cruising scooter - capable of playing safely in 70mph traffic - scratch this felon off your Xmas card list.
There were a couple of youtube guys who filmed highway runs on their LIKE200i. Surviving family members deleted some of the videos.

IMHO: the LIKE200i shines for me with its large tail light and signal lights , twin discs, twin shocks, good foot room, great brakes, EFI, reliable & simple aircooled engine, very smooth CVT and smooth drive-train over the road, good build quality, easy maintenance access. And I still think it is maybe the best looking KYMCO in their line up.
It's not a BMW or a VESPA - but it should make you very happy over the years if you expect it to ride like a scooter, don't abuse it when new, give it a clean Qt. of oil often, look after the valve lash,  and stay off the freeways.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 02:02:34 AM »
Stig:  Thanks for the personal reply.  Your advice is highly appreciated.  I've sold my 31 year old 700 cc Yamaha Maxim-X with it's 4 carbs and 20 valves!  (It idled at 4K rpm until it warmed up.)  I'm happy with my KYMCO Like - reminds me of my college days with my '65 Honda Super 90 motorbike.  I do wonder how the Honda CB160 twin in the mid-60's had a top end of nearly 85 mph and the 200i (163 cc) struggles with 55 mph.  It's really all academic; today my wife and I are looking forward to our rides in the Tennessee hills at a comfortable 35 mph.  We may or may not want to get "his" and "hers" scooters.

And I will be a participant in scooter maintenance discussions - I'm something of synthetic motor oil fanatic.  But whatever a person may think he knows, there is always more to learn. 

NJrider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:00 AM »
Finally took some pictures with the extras on it.  Has Kymco chrome bars, kymco windshield, and some stick on chrome trim.  Had a GIVI trunk on it, but went back to the OEM.  Next step is whitewall tires since the OEM Kenda;s are terrible.  Lovin' the like so far.

NJrider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:17:24 AM »
Another pic.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
Nice looking scooter!
Thanks for the pictures.
As Vespa riders know....the stripes make it go faster!
I guess that only the LX models get the contrasting piping on the seat.
What is the birthdate of your scooter? .....trying to suss out if Kymco is fazing out the LIKE200I after the 2015 model year.
BD is on sticker under r side body cowel panel.
Please keep pix coming!
Ride safe
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Siggy Javotnik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
The VIN will also tell the year of manufacture at the 10th place. Mine has a G, meaning 2016.
2016 Kymco Like 200i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()