Author Topic: Battery in UXV500i  (Read 415 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Battery in UXV500i
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »
Mentioned some time ago about the 500i scooters that the batteries are too small and I had paralleled a lawn and garden battery to solve my starting problems in the UXV500i side-by-side. That arrangement finally quit the other day so a new battery arrangement was made. Since the OEM battery was 175 cold cranking amps, I opted for a 320 cca mower battery for 40 bucks. Big savings over using a Yuasa quality unit for way more money. There is plenty of room under hood for this thing and it has NO problem spinning the big thumper over.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Battery in UXV500i
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
My 450i doesnt have room for a larger battery so we are stuck with the 18amh size that it comes with. After 3 yrs no complaints on the battery, but keeping an eye out for a replacement whn the time comes. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
Well, the proper battery location is pretty limited in what will fit but next to it is a huge storage box that the mower battery fits in with room to spare. Used a back and red starting leads to extend into the battery box location. Considering how expensive the correct battery is this crude mower battery is a steal at 40 bucks.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
Well, the proper battery location is pretty limited in what will fit but next to it is a huge storage box that the mower battery fits in with room to spare. Used a back and red starting leads to extend into the battery box location. Considering how expensive the correct battery is this crude mower battery is a steal at 40 bucks.
Nice mod Karl! Should be helpful for folks wintering in some really cold states.
Might need your experience in a year or two....when I feel the need to parallel my tiny Liberty battery. Batt. box has NO  room to go beyond a 6Ah battery.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »

Good Idea Karl I still have never used that under hood storage anyway

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
Follow up: great start today after sitting a week with no trickle charger hooked up! Pretty warm in the upper 50's but a great start.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()