Author Topic: Image and scooter riding...  (Read 858 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Image and scooter riding...
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
Many N. Americans consider scooter riding less than a virile method of transport.*

Anyone else notice that?
Does it bother you?
Might that be related to the oft-installed aftermarket mufflers to gain noise (and little else) from their scooter?

My first ride was a white Honda motorcycle on which my wife painted flowers, in the 60's.
6 kids and a half century later - I still care less than a flying fig what others think.

Fish
*A salesman at my multi brand motorcycle/ATV/Scooter dealership mentioned "this difficult" scooter image, here in rural Ohio.

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
Re: Image and scooter riding...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »
When I first got mine, I received a ton of crap from my fellow coworkers.  Took them a while to shut up but I made it a point to throw it back in their face of the wonderful gas mileage I get and how I get park at the office where as they have to park further away.   Then simply I just don’t care.  Lol. After that I had a few others interested in getting a scooter but they didn’t.   
I live two miles from work so that was the main reason for getting scoot.   Love it.    I’m home before their vehicles even warm up.   Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
Most men in Europe and Asia ride scooters. Kids take them to school, people take them to work...plus gas is anywhere from 7-10 dollars/gallon. Too many hipsters want to seem cool, but they feel inadequate in their masculinity. I prefer not to shift gears so I went back to riding scooters, which actually makes my drive more enjoyable.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
Most men in Europe and Asia ride scooters. Kids take them to school, people take them to work...plus gas is anywhere from 7-10 dollars/gallon. Too many hipsters want to seem cool, but they feel inadequate in their masculinity. I prefer not to shift gears so I went back to riding scooters, which actually makes my drive more enjoyable.

Well said.  I also have an 1800cc cruiser that I dropped a lot of money into.   That one is for pleasure riding with or without the wife.   The scooter while I do enjoy riding, gets ridden just about daily.   I’m not out trying be cool with my scoot, just practical.  Keep in mind I’m an LEO so I’m pretty thick skinned.   I don’t ride the scoot at all in uniform.    Your absolutely right when you stated about not shifting gears.    It’s awesome!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
No one has ever put me down for riding a scooter.....at least not to my face.  My riding friends ride all kinds of bikes and don't care what you ride.  Now some of them might be bothered when they can't keep up with me on a twisty road but more likely they are just jealous.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:04:21 PM »
Used to get a bit of flak from some cruiser riders at work, until the day I rode to work through 50mph wind gusts with heavy rain including a bit of flash flooding in localized areas (hydroplaned a bit on the freeway, kind of one of those butt-clenching "don't twitch" moments).

After that, no problems there. 
I actually hadn't planned to do that, but the storm system came in a lot faster than anticipated & I got caught on the freeway about 1/3rd of the way to work.

Beyond that, an occasional twit, balanced by more positive comments.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
Most local motorcyclists wear expensive safety gear and torture themselves by wearing this stuff  right through hot summers. They usualy have a lot to say about riders who rides without safety gear. It never bothered me, but I bought proper safety gear for longer trips on motorcycles a couple of years ago. I hardly ever used it during hot summers.

Since I bought the scooter I just wear a helmet for protection. It’s so nice to feel the wind, life is just great. No more safety gear for me, thanks.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:11:31 PM »
Riding scooters now choice and age---still have one bike--2017 Honda CB300F, 18,000 miles---most critics, big mouths, really do not ride much regardless of what they have----------------of over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles since 1955, since 1990, on my 10th rubber band drive scooter---over 400,000 miles with these----like the dry feet thing with scooters and the under seat storage.

Who cares about image? 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
I just really am so pleased with all your comments since you are all just happy as clams with who you are and whatcher doin' for fun or fun transport regardless of what others think. When I recall my first road trip on my first motorcycle to Mount Palomar Observatory (big telescope to you from Loma Linda), I get cold and soaking wet all over again! Had a DT300i existed then or even had it been a Cushman my feet would not have gotten soaked! The body work today is a pain but today's scoots have so much to offer especially us old guys with waning strength it is hard to imagine NOT having something fun to ride. My ego was fat and sassy when I flew for a living but I don't think I need that anymore. Not to take anything away from anyone still flying and enjoying it but I just don't miss it that much. I would miss the scoot!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 10:04:07 PM »
I got a lot of flak from a buddy about getting Scoot, but I didn’t care, I love her!
And then the rain came, and I didn’t stop, and the storms, didn’t stop.
Even snow and 10*F didn’t stop me.
He’s pretty much gone silent about it now, and I tease him about not riding more.

Getting a Kawasaki Concours now tho, so I’m sure he’ll mention scoot more, hah!

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:09:16 AM »
I'm smiling ear to ear when I scoot up the white line to the front position at lights and traffic jams, leaving those $50k SUV's sitting in traffic. And my Grandvista's have retractable mirrors for the very tight spaces.

I'd probably give up riding if California makes lane splitting illegal, something some frightened or righteous politician tries to do every few years.
2009 GV 250

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
I do and I don't. most times its just my coworkers/father just being idiots. A couple of them did give me a hard time til they found out what I can do on my lil 50's now I get respect. Most cyclists Motorized or not just look at me with disdain because of those bloody electric bike/scooter sh** look-a-likes at any one around here can ride but have no clue to the rules of the road and drive everyone(but themselves) nuts.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
I'm a lifelong biker and look the part: 6'2, 260, beard, long hair, and tattoos. Rather intimidating to the general population.  But when out on the Scooter, children laugh, women smile, and dogs chase me down the street.  I'll take THAT  instead...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 10:03:10 AM »
I got teased somewhat too. But not quite as others much since I rode a maxi scooter and could easily ride at highway speeds. On the day before my accident, my boss (much younger than me) teased me for wearing a helmet and jacket for “just a scooter “ . I reminded him that if I fell at highway speeds, my body wouldn’t know if I’d fallen off a scooter or a Harley. When he heard about my accident, he was petrified wondering if I’d listened to him. Thankfully I hadn’t. My gear protected me from a much worse injury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 10:14:34 AM »
Many N. Americans consider scooter riding less than a virile method of transport.*

Anyone else notice that?
Does it bother you?
Might that be related to the oft-installed aftermarket mufflers to gain noise (and little else) from their scooter?

My first ride was a white Honda motorcycle on which my wife painted flowers, in the 60's.
6 kids and a half century later - I still care less than a flying fig what others think.

Fish
*A salesman at my multi brand motorcycle/ATV/Scooter dealership mentioned "this difficult" scooter image, here in rural Ohio.
I only got offended ONCE! That was when I was describing my accident to a group of friends and one of them laughed and said “a scooter ? A scooter? You got hurt riding a scooter? Man, why were you riding a scooter? “ When I showed him a picture and explained that it would easily go highway speeds, he still chuckled and repeated “a scooter? I can’t believe you rode a scooter to Panama City . A scooter.” By that time I could laugh about the accident. And as a middle aged man, I couldn’t care less about image. But in THAT case I did get somewhat offended because I believe he felt that my accident was less legitimate because it was a scooter. If I hadn’t needed my prosthetic leg to walk back to my car, I believe I MIGHT have allowed him to take it with him after being inserted too far up his rear end to be safely retrieved. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()