Author Topic: going down.  (Read 9271 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
going down.
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
 :-\  Well without giving to much detail away (things are still pending),   :-X I went down over a month ago.  My bike was banged up, I was banged up.  Now I am getting to the point in my life with my bike is being fixed and the doctor should be releasing me to ride somewhere in the new future.

Problem is....I'm not sure I want to any more.  I've been asking myself lately if the risk is worth the rewards that riding brings?

So I'm curious...if you went down hard, what did you do to get back up? 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: going down.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:09:03 AM »
Hey, Houndguy -

I didn't go down hard, but I was hit head-on by a drunk driver in a pickup and was able to jump off at the last second. Scared the crap out of me, but I had only been riding for 4 months at that point, and I was determined that some dumba$$ drunk was not going to keep me off of my ride. The scooter was totaled, but insurance (amazingly) paid for its replacement cost. I just got pissed off at the turd and decided the best thing for me to do was to not let one accident keep me from enjoying the freedom of riding my scooter. If I was in a car accident, I wouldn't give up driving, so I'm not going to give up riding for the same reason. Don't know if that helps you in your case, but for me, determination was the key to getting back into the game. I sincerely hope you are healing well and there are no lasting effects.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
Dear Hound....
Is it possible to make changes to how you use your scooter - would you be willing to change where and when you ride your scooter - and still find enjoyment?
As much as I'd like to, I do not regularly ride out in city traffic for leisure purposes.
It is much less stressful for me to limit much of my extra riding to early mornings on less traveled roads. I still commute to work - but it is so much more relaxing to find areas to ride away from heavy traffic. I operate a car very carefully - and I am hyper alert when on the scoot - which is not relaxing in traffic. So, I find other ways to enjoy owning and riding a scooter - with so much less drama!
It is a shame that we cannot ride a scooter without having cars threatening us - but it is a fact which cannot be changed - so, I change my thinking, which is all I have control over.
You'll make the correct decision for you.
Regards, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
..ya just gotta get back on hound...I was forced off the road at 50 mph..threw me about 30ft when the scoot broadsided ...luckily I landed in a honeysuckle vine...I actually got back on then, and rode the remaining7 miles home.....admittedly, I was a bit nervous after I healed, about getting back on the road. However, each day of scooting became easier as time passed....

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, Houndguy.  I haven't crashed since I was 16 and that was in the dirt so can't really relate, but have had two near misses and getting back on was a head game.  I feel your pain.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:30:52 AM »
and getting back on was a head game.

..yes, it is....

Momma bear

• View Profile
going down.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
Dear Hounguy,
So sorry to hear about your accident. I agree with Stig. Modifying where and when you ride might work. I'm not that far from you and have found many country roads to travel. One can never be totally safe when in or on any vehicle. I hope you decide to ride again and continue your blog. It's quite enjoyable. Whatever you decide to do our best wishes are with you.
People300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
You got me to thinking about why I got back on......first was first day with new first motorcycle-my fault: unconscious of road surface. Second was four years later, same bike-my fault: same back tire worn square in a turn with water on the surface-unconscious of road surface. The first event was there was no way I was gonna abandon a new bike after I had made the decision to buy it, chalk it up to experience. Hey, I was 18-19 and indestructible. The second was clearly my inattention to tire condition and road surface. I could and did fix these. The main reason was I still wanted to ride regardless. I have had guns pulled on me, stuff thrown at me from opposing traffic (and hit), been hit glancing blows by cars, been faced with people swerving into my lane just to watch me chicken out for laughs and coped with some of my poor decisions to ride in bad weather. I learned from every event and studied how not to repeat any of them. My priority was I wanted to ride.

I lost interest after nearly 20 years of riding and getting a company car and other reasons. I just decided not to ride. Then about 25 years or so later the new breed of scooters caught my eye, OUR eye and we started riding again. Today, I would rather ride than eat and I can eat pretty well! I do not know if I could survive as severe a crash as some of you have but right now, I want to ride and I will as long as I can.

So, Hound, it is your decision for your reasons. I think we will all support you whatever your decision may be. Whether you ride or not, we will appreciate your input here.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about  that Houndguy... maybe it's just a matter of how deep your desire to ride is... I've seen people who have lost their limbs but still ride because they want to... it's your call Houndguy... and nobody can change your mind... If you're talking about the risks, everything in life are risks... crossing the street, eating a steak, even sleeping... if and when your time comes... it will... no matter how careful you are... Ride safe!

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:26:07 AM »
Hound Dog,

One year ago today, a truck cut in front of me.  It was either hit the truck at 20 MPH or brake real hard and hoped that I didn't hit the truck.  I missed the truck but I laid my scooter down and cracked 4 Ribs.  After the accident, I did get back up on my scooter and rode home.  I lived about a 1.5 miles from the accident.  That night, I decided it was worth it to continue riding.  So after 6 weeks, I started riding again but a little bit more cautious. 

But again the decision is yours to make.
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

josephthediviner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
Last May 21st. I work nights at 10 mins till 10 I struck a Raccoon and went down hard  broken collar bone broken scapula 8 broken ribs two which still wont knit and a punctured lung.   I was wearing an armor jacket boots new HJC CL Max 2 helmet and gloves it was a two lane road so after checking on the important things fingers, toes, neck all worked fine and had good feeling I did a quick assessment and decided the middle of a lane was not the best position to be in so tried to get up and that's when I felt the scapula crackling around so crawled off of the pavement and waited for someone to come along.

Nice lady stopped saw me and asked if she could help yes I replied call 911.   the ambulance ride sucked SOB hit every bump in road.   I didn't realize how bad it was until the ER doc looked over the xrays and asked me if I had a helmet on, since I was the first person living with these injuries.  sobering  On thursday Finally had surgery for collarbone nothing else.  four weeks later went to surgeons for evaluation he saw our jackets and helmets and told me I was healed and get out. 

So we have been riding since all summer the bike suffered very little damage from the ordeal and have put a little over 5,000 miles on it since then One item I did add was a much brighter headlamp  a 55 watt HID unit from  http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting The kits are cheap but the shipping sucks.  I am mostly healed but very leery of little animals darting into the roadway.           

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
After today I guess I can join this. Cleaned up my scoot and rebuilt my carb last night plus fixed many other small issues. This morning on the way to meet a friend I hit loose gravel and flew off my bike at about 35 mph (I didnt mean to go this fast on gravel but I didnt seen the gravel its was on a bit of a hill). Got up as I saw people running towards me and tossed of my jacket, helmet, and got off the road. Made sure all my body parts were intact and that there was no major bleeding. A man helped me with my bike and lent me a phone to call a friend to help. My plans on riding home were shattered when I noticed all me work on the bike was ruined it wouldnt and still wont start. I dont consider this going down to hard I just messed up my hand, knee and me left side. I guess ill just get up and start riding again as soon as possible. I look at it this way s*** happens and I cant stop that but i cant let that stop me.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
Joebro, have you been to the MSF riding class yet? I do believe you are kinda new to the two-wheel sport, right?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
Yeah CROSSBOLT I am kinda new. I was planning on taking it soon, but havent yet.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
..holy crap! joe!!

..you okay? bro!!

:o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:10:11 AM by wordslinger »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()