Author Topic: Parts information not easily found  (Read 1223 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Re: Parts information not easily found
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »
LOOK UP FASTENAL there may be one in your area,. 

I've never heard of them. Thanks! Another source is always welcome!

We have a place where I live, not unlike Grainger, called "Stanford Co." that does nothing but nuts, screws, bolts, and other specialized fasteners. Years ago, when I was working for a local engineering company as a draftsman, one of our engineers was retiring, so we clubbed up and bought a huge nut and bolt for him as a parting gift. I swear, that thing must have weighed 6 pounds or so. The nut alone was almost 4" in diameter and almost 2" thick. The dang thing was huge. If memory serves, it cost us about $30 or so.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »
I've never heard of them. Thanks! Another source is always welcome!

We have a place where I live, not unlike Grainger, called "Stanford Co." that does nothing but nuts, screws, bolts, and other specialized fasteners. Years ago, when I was working for a local engineering company as a draftsman, one of our engineers was retiring, so we clubbed up and bought a huge nut and bolt for him as a parting gift. I swear, that thing must have weighed 6 pounds or so. The nut alone was almost 4" in diameter and almost 2" thick. The dang thing was huge. If memory serves, it cost us about $30 or so.

Another cool online place would be McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 08:51:12 PM »
Update:

I stopped by Stanford today, told the guy what I was looking to do, showed him one of the brackets off the Honda, showed him the new light (it arrived yesterday) and he went over to a bin and pulled out three stainless steel self-drilling screws. Dropped them in my hand, and told me to come back and show him how the bracket fit. I told him I hadn't made it yet, and he pulled four little strips of aluminum out of a drawer (turned out to be 0.040" - just the right size!) about an inch wide and six inches long, and asked me if these would work to make the brackets with?  I told him they would, and he said "ride safe young man" and shuffled off to the back of the store.

Anyone remember Fraggle Rock? The old guy named Doc, in the workshop? This fellow looked just like him.

I have all the pieces in place. I'm off all next week from work, as we're all closed for the week for the holiday, and I now have to try to remember how I made the first bracket...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Snowdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 03:47:44 PM »
Having been a mechanic all my working life, I would do it. The weight of your lite is miniscule compared to the strength of the hand rail. Through hole or not, will not make much difference either. I like through holes, you won't need a bottoming tap.
BTW, don't buy cheap taps (such as Fastenal).

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »
Having been a mechanic all my working life, I would do it. The weight of your lite is miniscule compared to the strength of the hand rail. Through hole or not, will not make much difference either. I like through holes, you won't need a bottoming tap.
BTW, don't buy cheap taps (such as Fastenal).

Thanks for the advice! It's always good to hear things from people who have significant experience!!

Having said that, I absolutely have zero experience working with a "tap", not even knowing what one was until it was mentioned here. I had to go look them up to see what it was. This also means that I have no idea how to use one, no experience using one, and that means I will absolutely screw up whatever it is I am attempting to do with it. Hence the holes. Which I am doing tomorrow.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Texxan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
A little late to the party but....2013 300GTi rack is made of #5 plastic..Polypropylene

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()