Author Topic: Oil change - order of filter, etc.?  (Read 5232 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
Oil change - order of filter, etc.?
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »
So now that I'm at the 3000 mile mark, I decided it's time to change the oil. I managed to drain it but it was messy! Nice new oil spot in the garage... And I got confused with the parts. The spring came out right away, of course, but after  mostly all the oil was drained I thought, hey, isn't there supposed to be a mesh filter in here? And lo, fishing around in there with my finger I first found a washer, and then behind that, the filter which I had to turn many times to get out. (I'd expected everything to just come right out with the plug/cap.)

Now the question is, do I have the order right? The washer has me confused. I'm assuming the washer has to be first, followed by the filter, spring and cap. Is that right? (See attached image for disassembled parts.)

Also it's okay to just leave it all open and draining overnight, right?

p.s. Thanks to Carter for the oil type advice! [Note to others: 15W-40, API SM, is just fine, and it can say 'diesel' on the container.]
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Oil change - order of filter, etc.?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »
Strange, that washer should not be in there!!! It should be first the screen with the rubber up then the spring to hold it in then the cap. If the screen doesn't go in easy get a new one they are cheap. Also there is another drain plug on the left side that will let more oil out.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:26 AM »
Here is a clip from the service manual as to the way the spring and screen should go.  Really a small picture, but if you click on it, the picture should enlarge slightly.

I also use the drain plug on the other side of the bike to drain the oil.  I don't think you need to drain it overnight, but certainly no harm in doing so.  I also agree with B&L that there should be no washer used here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:45:47 AM by Bill G »

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »
Thanks Carter and Bill! Interesting, I wonder how that washer got there!
Good picture, Bill. I have that manual too, but yours has higher-quality photos, apparently.
I'm not sure where the other drain valve is; is it shown in the manual?
People 150 (sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
Use a thick section of the Sunday paper under the wide shallow oil pan.
Plenty of paper towels, maybe some blue rubber gloves....and start the oil change by removing the other (main) drain plug.....it directs a nice easy to catch stream into your waiting pan.
Yep, no washer in there.
Owner's manual should have a picture showing main oil drain plug.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:35 PM »
Aha! I was looking at manual p. 3-4 (inspect/adjust), but it goes into more detail on p. 4-3 (lubrication) -- and that's where the photo of the oil drain bolt is.

Thanks Stig, good advice. For that main plug, is it better to have the scooter on the kickstand rather than fully upright?
People 150 (sold)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »
Aha! I was looking at manual p. 3-4 (inspect/adjust), but it goes into more detail on p. 4-3 (lubrication) -- and that's where the photo of the oil drain bolt is.

Thanks Stig, good advice. For that main plug, is it better to have the scooter on the kickstand rather than fully upright?

Center stand, and when it starts to drip I tip it over to the left to get every drop you can out. Tip it back and forth a couple times until it stops dripping. Make SURE you fill the oil on the center stand or you will over fill it. .9L = almost exactly 1qt.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:45 AM »
Mission accomplished! I think...

Lessons learned:
• Have plenty of newspaper around from the get-go.
• Use a real, low-profile oil pan rather than a couple glass containers that fit the right, but not the left, side of the bike.
• If socket wrench isn't budging to loosen the bolt, stick a hollow pipe on the handle to extend it and increase the torque.
• And most of all, next time I will not first drain from the right side (filter side). Surely that made it much messier than it ought to have been.

Thanks to all for your expertise.

Oh -- one other question: that washer I found, it's not the 'O-ring' mentioned in the manual p. 4-3, is it? "Install the oil filter screen, spring, O-ring and filter screen cap." They must be referring to the rubber ring that's part of the mesh screen...?
People 150 (sold)

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 06:01:20 AM »

Oh -- one other question: that washer I found, it's not the 'O-ring' mentioned in the manual p. 4-3, is it? "Install the oil filter screen, spring, O-ring and filter screen cap." They must be referring to the rubber ring that's part of the mesh screen...?

I believe they are referring to the rubber O ring that is imbedded in the bolt cap assembly that holds the spring and the screen.  Not the rubber ring around the screen,  At any rate, NO the flat metal washer is not any part of what they are referring to.

Always check your oil level with the bike on the main center stand, not the kickstand.  I learned the hard way.  I once topped off the oil while checking the dipstick while on the kickstand.  This caused me to over-fill the crankcase which led to the engine overheating.  When I took it in for service, they not only laughed at me, but charged me for the diagnostics and changing the oil.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »
Go to Walmart and get plastic measuring cup that hold at least 900 ml.  Now fill the cup, then put it in the engine using a funnel.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Good to hear Aaron!!

daybeau

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 02:52:50 AM »
Am I reading this thread correctly? The screen/filter is something that needs to be fished out? I just tried changing the oil in my 2009 GV 250. The bottom bolt and spring came off and out just fine, but I did not see any screen fall out with the spring. From Aaron's account, it sounds as though a little more effort was required to extract the screen. Could someone confirm that. I'd like to get it right next time.
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:00 AM »
Am I reading this thread correctly? The screen/filter is something that needs to be fished out? I just tried changing the oil in my 2009 GV 250. The bottom bolt and spring came off and out just fine, but I did not see any screen fall out with the spring. From Aaron's account, it sounds as though a little more effort was required to extract the screen. Could someone confirm that. I'd like to get it right next time.

Sometimes the screen gets stuck up in the foyer area, just wiggle it out. Good to have a spare on hand in case it's deformed.

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
Yeah, my screen was both stuck up there and a little deformed. Had to push my fingers against side of the opening to kind of unscrew it. Where does one buy replacement screens?
People 150 (sold)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »
Yeah, my screen was both stuck up there and a little deformed. Had to push my fingers against side of the opening to kind of unscrew it. Where does one buy replacement screens?

The screen is actually exactly the same as the "GY6" engines use, so easily available from eBay or Amazon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()