Author Topic: How Pigeons Explain a Common Motorcycle Crash  (Read 653 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
How Pigeons Explain a Common Motorcycle Crash
« on: March 13, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »
Stumbled on this earlier and thought it worth sharing.  Apologies if you've seen it already - I'd seen the British PSAs inset into it for example, but it does make a valid point.

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: How Pigeons Explain a Common Motorcycle Crash
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 07:11:32 PM »
Interesting video.  That's not the first time I have seen the idea that car drivers can't judge our speed.  However, that is just part of the problem.  Distracted driving and inattention are also big problems.  One thing I have read that helps get their attention is to weave if your not sure someone sees or notices you.

Of course one of the best things you can do is keep your skills sharp.  If you need to stop hard or swerve quickly to avoid a collision, that's not the time to learn if you can do it.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 07:39:05 PM »
OK Neil - I watched because it was you - even though I cannot stand this guy.
Sure - yes - those idiot riders speeding in town  ("speeding") are asking for trouble. I can only imagine that they must be the most miserable musicians and artists - because they are displaying "0" imagination!

It is wearing - and I do not enjoy city riding - but I know that whatever speed I'm riding puts my slender one-eyed vehicle in danger from cars. Heck - even had 3 joggers step off the curb in front of me the other morning!
I ride accordingly.

I'll continue to take my preferred chances at 30mph on dark rainy mornings with the deer in the boonies!
In my big Chevy truck - I understand why people choose big cars when competing out there on the streets. MPG-be/dammed!

Anyway - thanks for the heads-up.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 03:38:01 PM »
OK Neil - I watched because it was you - even though I cannot stand this guy.

Anyway - thanks for the heads-up.
Stig

Stig, I'm honoured!  Like you I don't especially like the guy's presentational style, but I wondered what the research would say. 

Not sure he ever adequately explained that?  Especially, how does the monocular pigeon, with no depth perception, manage to judge the differing speeds of the oncoming traffic?  Or did I miss something?  He seems to suggest that pigeons learn the speed limit(!) on the road they use, but didn't say how this knowledge affected the take off time when using differing speeds during the experiment.  Are we left to conclude it was pigeon carnage at higher speeds?

On balance, maybe you're right just to ignore this guy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 03:44:49 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 04:18:42 PM »
I'm not a fan of FortNine either.  I don't know about his pigeon theory but I believe he is correct when he says that motorists aren't good at judging the speed of oncoming motorcyclists.  I think that if you are riding a lot faster than most traffic then you shouldn't be surprised if someone pulls out in front of you and you need to brake to avoid them.  The thing is that even if you are going the speed limit someone may still pull in front of you simply because they didn't see you.  At least in the first scenario you generally have some time to react.  If they don't see you and pull right in front of you you may not have time to react.  I'm more concerned about someone not seeing me which is why I wear bright yellow or white helmets and try to wear bright colored jackets as well. 

Anyway, it's always good to keep these things in mind when you are riding. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 05:18:26 PM »
I've lost a good bit of centered vision in my L eye - still good peripheral vision.
Having cross-trained in EENT in the Army before my tour in 'Nam as a medic, I'm cognizant of my limitations now as I move towards monocular vision.
I keep that in mind as I ride.
Long drives on the highway I'm turning over to the ladies.

Get yearly checks for glaucoma once you pass 50 - gentlemen! Elevated intraocular pressure is easily spotted by your Dr. and  is easy to treat.

Stig
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:23:07 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »
I've lost a good bit of centered vision in my L eye - still good peripheral vision.
Having cross-trained in EENT in the Army before my tour in 'Nam as a medic, I'm cognizant of my limitations now as I move towards monocular vision.

Get yearly checks for glaucoma once you pass 50 - gentlemen! Elevated intraocular pressure is easily spotted by your Dr. and  is easy to treat.

Stig

If it's only affecting one eye Stig, don't worry too much you quickly learn to compensate.  I rode & drove* from age 16 to roughly 27 with effectively no vision in my right eye until the traumatic cataract I had was developed enough to be removed and a lens implanted.  The brain is a wonderful thing!

* The only thing I noticed was badly affected was my ability to catch a ball!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 02:10:07 PM »
If it's only affecting one eye Stig, don't worry too much you quickly learn to compensate.  I rode & drove* from age 16 to roughly 27 with effectively no vision in my right eye until the traumatic cataract I had was developed enough to be removed and a lens implanted.  The brain is a wonderful thing!

* The only thing I noticed was badly affected was my ability to catch a ball!
Thanks!
I figure my CVT will let go before I lose all vision, so there's that :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 02:15:57 PM »
I, too, agree with Stig and Klav, 'twas an interesting video and like Stig, watched and listened because of who forwarded it.

However, realizing I am NOT the sharpest pencil in the box I must have missed the point. What was there that I could use? Was it at the end and I blinked?

Looking ahead, scanning, assuming that NONE of the operators ahead (regardless of vehicle type or size) actually see you is the real key. Also assuming that everyone else on the road is intent on KILLING YOU helps as well.

SMIDSY, like Klav said, is probably the best deterrent of crash and burn. Otherwise, our daily survival is in God's hands regardless.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 05:47:33 PM »
I, too, agree with Stig and Klav, 'twas an interesting video and like Stig, watched and listened because of who forwarded it.

However, realizing I am NOT the sharpest pencil in the box I must have missed the point. What was there that I could use? Was it at the end and I blinked?

Looking ahead, scanning, assuming that NONE of the operators ahead (regardless of vehicle type or size) actually see you is the real key. Also assuming that everyone else on the road is intent on KILLING YOU helps as well.

SMIDSY, like Klav said, is probably the best deterrent of crash and burn. Otherwise, our daily survival is in God's hands regardless.

His point was that you should ride the same speed as everyone else so car drivers can judge your speed.  While not bad advice it will not keep you safe.  Even when driving my big truck drivers will sometimes pull out in front of me so I have to use my brakes to avoid rear ending them. 

Keep in mind that Fort Nine's main objective is to get people to view his videos so he can make money. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
At a light this morning in my truck, which does not have one of those yuppie 5.5 ft beds - but a full sized full sheet of 5/8th plywood or 96" timber sized American Pick-Up Truck Bed  ....and watched in my mirrors as a car nearly rear-ended me.
I hoped he wouldn't spill my coffee......since I have eight feet of steel crush-zone back there!

Amerika baby!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 10:04:09 PM »
I seem to be able to maintain the speed of the traffic  even when  I've left 100 or more yards between me and the vehicle I'm following. What I have noticed is this poses a danger for people wanting to enter the road.  One has to follow close enough so it's obvious they can not turn in front of you or leave a lot of room so they are good to enter traffic.  Of course this upsets the person behind thinking you are going to slow and they pass so they can get on the tail of the cars in front of you. 

Art 

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2023, 01:58:44 PM »

Karl, you got it in a nutshell.  All drivers should be viewed as homicidal maniacs unless & until they prove otherwise.  The essence of defensive riding.  On those odd occasions where a driver does see me and let me out of a junction for example, I always go out of my way to wave a cheery thank you.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 05:30:25 PM »
Karl, you got it in a nutshell.  All drivers should be viewed as homicidal maniacs unless & until they prove otherwise.  The essence of defensive riding.  On those odd occasions where a driver does see me and let me out of a junction for example, I always go out of my way to wave a cheery thank you.
Make sure ALL fingers extended when you wave! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 09:21:08 PM »
Make sure ALL fingers extended when you wave! Har, har!

D’you know Karl, I knew someone would make a crack like that!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()