Author Topic: Oil leak - failed cylinder gasket.  (Read 1971 times)

abobotek

• View Profile
Oil leak - failed cylinder gasket.
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:46:56 PM »
At around 4700 miles, I started noticing a small (1-2 drops/mile) oil leak.  I took the bike apart and found the cylinder gasket (between the cylinder and crankcase) pinched out of the joint.  

I have found a few other references to this happening on Kymcos, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Question:  How should I fix this?  Possibilities:

* Loosen the cylinder and squirt in some 'form a gasket' liquid
* Pull the cylinder with the engine in the bike
* Remove the engine and replace the gasket on a bench

Also, should I pull the piston from the cylinder, or just try to loosen the cylinder and remove the wrist pin with the piston still in the cylinder?

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:49:18 PM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leak - failed cylinder gasket.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:24 AM »
The easiest way in my opinion is to pull the engine. You can clean it all up, and work like a gentleman. You are always better off leaving the piston inside the jug, and removing the wrist pin unless you plan to change the rings.
I use Permatex #2, omc perfect seal, or Indianhead shellac. Use it to "glue" ONE side of the gasket in place. One side only. Never use that silicone RTV crap. It's garbage.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
ps... Get a new exhaust gasket, and the "O" rings for the carb/intake. Head gasket/base gasket/valve cover gasket
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
My S 200 is back on the road again, leak-free thanks to a new cylinder gasket and a few other new gaskets.  

One thing I should mention is that the oil strainer was full of pieces of the old failed gasket.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:40:38 AM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
Nice... ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()