Author Topic: oil leak from gearbox overflow  (Read 1909 times)

2leftthumbs

• View Profile
oil leak from gearbox overflow
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
I've started back riding my scoot after a few weeks of respite and noticed the smell of oil today when I got off of it. Looking further there's oil all over the left side of the back tire that appears to be coming from the transmission overflow dohickey.  It was 35 this morning and was 38 this afternoon. Does temperature have anything to do with this? I have not yet changed the gear oil and have been riding it may thru october before noting this. I did notice the engine oil which I did change now appears to be overful which I dont believe was the case just after I changed it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: oil leak from gearbox overflow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
The cold will actually decrease the expansion of the oil so it will not cause an overflow.

Where exactly is the oil dripping from? A hose? or the breather at the rear of the cvt cover?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »
An overfull crankcase can slowly leak through the carb to the air filter. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:44:32 AM »
Overfilled oil can get shot out the breather too
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

2leftthumbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Ive been occupied with my father's recent hospitalization thus the delay. There's a tube coming off a fitting on top of what I think is the transmission cover. It is directly underneath and somehat behint the air filter housing.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
That's the one.

It's usually capped w/ a small plastic bit w/ a hole in the center.
Follow it to the end, pull it off, and spray some carb cleaner thru it. It should be done annually or as needed. It's a sort of a vapor trap/dirt blocker
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
I wonder if he had fix the issue
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()