Author Topic: AK 550 Coolant change tips?  (Read 1275 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK 550 Coolant change tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 09:21:04 PM »
If it will still help I finally got around to extracting the pages related to replacing the coolant from the service manual. These pages are not from the service manual created just last year using information from KymcoUSA (Cyclepedia?) but is from the service manual I downloaded from www.Kymco.at

This is only for the coolant change. As indicated it is only required to remove plastic on the right side and then the foot board mats on the left side. It might be possible to NOT remove any plastic on the right side and reach that radiator cap to refill anyway. I haven't tried yet. The water pump can be accessed under the plastic without removing anything and the drain plug is on the bottom of the water pump as shown in the manual. That is where to drain the entire system other than what is trapped in the coolant overflow tank.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 09:24:14 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 09:45:16 PM »
The manual for my Downtown 300 read the same, but I could not get the system to take the amount of coolant called for until I opened up the bleed hole on the thermostat.  Hope you don't have that. On the Downtown simple removing the underseat bin gave access to the thermostat.

Art 

Homer03

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 04:55:26 PM »
Good day,

I know this is an old post.  However, it has been extremally helpful.  The 2022 AK550 I bought last week was only on long enough for me to do a test ride.  After that I loaded it on a trailer and took the 4 hour drive back home.  With all the rain I was not able to have my inaugural ride until this morning.  Once I got into the garage I noticed coolant on the ground.  I checked the tank and it is well past low.

Goal now is to see what the issue is and what is left of the warranty if any.  Sure hope it is not major.  Either way I am getting it fixed.  Fingers crossed.
Living and Learning
AK550

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 06:40:18 PM »
@Homer03 welcome here!
Below mentioned thread is NOT from an AK 550 but a Grand Dink 150.

Maybe helps on your coolant case. But be warned that you will need, to service the coolant pump, special tools like deep bearing pullers of various sizes. The inner pump housing is clued in, so has to be heated up to be pulled out.

There is an indicator hole down (mirror) in your pumps alu body, if there is a drop of coolant, you have to renew the innerts.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg237425#msg237425
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 06:44:32 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 07:05:06 PM »
Good day,

I know this is an old post.  However, it has been extremally helpful.  The 2022 AK550 I bought last week was only on long enough for me to do a test ride.  After that I loaded it on a trailer and took the 4 hour drive back home.  With all the rain I was not able to have my inaugural ride until this morning.  Once I got into the garage I noticed coolant on the ground.  I checked the tank and it is well past low.

Goal now is to see what the issue is and what is left of the warranty if any.  Sure hope it is not major.  Either way I am getting it fixed.  Fingers crossed.

New Kymcos used to have a 2 year fully transferable warranty on the engine. Your '22 should still be under warranty if that hasn't changed.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 08:29:23 PM »
New Kymcos used to have a 2 year fully transferable warranty on the engine. Your '22 should still be under warranty if that hasn't changed.
Stig

Depends when the AK was put in service initially. I bought my 2022 model in early Nov 2021 so my 2 year warranty is done.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 09:23:33 PM »
Depends when the AK was put in service initially. I bought my 2022 model in early Nov 2021 so my 2 year warranty is done.
Of course.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()