Author Topic: 2008 throttle / carb return spring  (Read 1275 times)

.CayoJon

• View Profile
2008 throttle / carb return spring
« on: April 19, 2022, 12:33:28 AM »
I'm rehabbing my '08 Agility and I am having trouble locating any diagrams or documentation regarding the spring that returns the carburetor to it's closed position ( and resets the throttle handle). Mine is in a couple of rusted pieces so I'm not sure on the proper tension/length for it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 throttle / carb return spring
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 12:38:09 AM »
Parts diagram...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

.CayoJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 01:02:42 PM »
Not what we were looking for here.

Please try again.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 02:20:04 PM by Stig / Major Tom »

.CayoJon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »

Please try again.

Stig

Please try again.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:43:50 PM by Stig / Major Tom »

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »
OK, not sure what happened here...but everybody get back in your seats and quiet down... 8)...we're just trying to help, here

Are you saying the throttle return spring is the rusty, external one in your pics?? I have not seen that before. The throttle return spring is usually a coiled spring wrapped around the butterfly on the carb..not something external.

It should be attached to the part that rotates when you open the throttle. I can kind of see what should be the return spring in your pics..
See my attached pic with yellow arrow...is that not a spring?

I don't know what the heck that old rusty, screen door closer spring is...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

.CayoJon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 02:17:36 PM »
OK, not sure what happened here...but everybody get back in your seats and quiet down... 8)...we're just trying to help, here

Are you saying the throttle return spring is the rusty, external one in your pics?? I have not seen that before. The throttle return spring is usually a coiled spring wrapped around the butterfly on the carb..not something external.

It should be attached to the part that rotates when you open the throttle. I can kind of see what should be the return spring in your pics..
See my attached pic with yellow arrow...is that not a spring?

I don't know what the heck that old rusty, screen door closer spring is...

Thank you. I've never had the luggage box out since it was bought back in 2008, so I have no idea where it came from.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 10:15:36 PM »
I couldn’t see that spring on any of the parts schematics I pulled up (kymcopartsonline.com).

Is the thing I was pointing the yellow arrow at the return spring? It should be…but looked to be in pretty rough shape
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 08:09:31 PM »
OMG! It looks like it's been 6' under at the bottom of the ocean for a few years!  If the basics are freely turning, it's much easier to simply buy a new Chinese carb.  They're not that expensive. You just need the size and model number.

.CayoJon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
OMG! It looks like it's been 6' under at the bottom of the ocean for a few years!  If the basics are freely turning, it's much easier to simply buy a new Chinese carb.  They're not that expensive. You just need the size and model number.

LOL. It spent it's first 8 years in Key West, where I pretty much drove it through everything (king tide flooding was the worst). Unfortunately, the last 5 years have been in storage in a much more temperate climate, so now I'm playing rehab and rebuild to get it back on the road.

.CayoJon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 07:43:33 PM »
I couldn’t see that spring on any of the parts schematics I pulled up (kymcopartsonline.com).

Is the thing I was pointing the yellow arrow at the return spring? It should be…but looked to be in pretty rough shape

Thanks, you are correct, that is the carb return spring. I, too, have searched every reference I could find and nothing made note of the rusty screen door spring, so I'm wondering if the shop that sold it to me knew it had a sticky carb return put it in to avoid any issues. I'm in the process of cleaning and rebuilding the carb so I'll see how things turn out.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 02:15:18 PM »
Thanks, you are correct, that is the carb return spring. I, too, have searched every reference I could find and nothing made note of the rusty screen door spring, so I'm wondering if the shop that sold it to me knew it had a sticky carb return put it in to avoid any issues. I'm in the process of cleaning and rebuilding the carb so I'll see how things turn out.
.CayoJon,  I'm pretty sure you should be able to bench test the cleaned carb for proper return spring operation before re-installing the cleaned carburetor.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()